The Perfect Storm

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CW, you don't see the "Murray Mania" because it's been your stance all along, and you've been in victory formation for months. Like I've said, I can't blame you. I wish one of my favorite prospects from my school was drafted as the savior of my NFL franchise.

I have more free time on my hands than Shane right now, and I want to post about realistic (and sadly, poor) expectations I have for the team without having someone assert that Kyler is "a unicorn," or that he's going to get 4500 passing yards with 40 TDs in his first season, two things I've read in the past 48 hours. Be excited, but we have people like PA who think we're just about to win it all because he's running out of time on the clock, and this is our last hope... like, reel it back people.

Kyler's got tons of potential, tons of questions, and we should pray to the Flying Spaghetti Monster that Keim is even marginally right and doesn't lose his job going all in on a failed coach and historically scary QB.

I could be insanely positive with a 2x head coach of the year, with a QB who had a rubber band holding his knee together, but it turned into nothing. What we're staring at now? I don't understand how any of you are so cavalier.
Solar, Solar, Solar. You quoted my post of 4500 yds and 40 tds.out of context. I posted those numbers to get a rise out of you because I KNEW you would respond even though you were complaining about the pro Murray post.

After you responded I laughed out loud because I knew you couldn’t resist responding AGAIN and told you I didn’t believe those numbers.

And here we are again. One of the biggest proponents of “ let’s talk about something else” yet you’ve responded to this thread 10 times and now have helped it grow to 4 pages.

Lol, again.

OP
OP
PACardsFan

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
And how did the Andrea Gail end up in the Perfect Storm...……..Could be the good ship Murray ends up sinking also....and the Cards are years behind the rest of the NFL...…..again.

The "Perfect Storm" refers to the storm, not the ship. And unfortunately, for the ship & its occupants, the "storm" won. So, the 'Storm" is Murray/Cardinals and the ship is the rest of the NFL teams.

OP
OP
PACardsFan

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't think this is going to be a good team, that's why I'm being negative.

I don't understand the point about making more Kyler Murray threads unless they bring some new information or ask something new.

We just witnessed the absolute WORST season in Cardinal history. We followed that up by having what appears to be a great draft (we'll know more in 3 years). We have hired a young, innovative HC and drafted a QB that fits his system like a glove. We have added pieces on both sides of the ball & hired assistant coaches with vast NFL experience to help our college HC assimilate better into the NFL game. What is not to get excited about?? In all my 55+ years of watching this team, we have never had an offseason with this much promise. We all know how cursed this franchise has been over the years. And yes, there are no guarantees. But after picking 1st overall for the first time in like forever, this IS our time to dream about what might be. So what if the Cardinals didn't pick the guy you wanted them too. Not that months ago, I was clearly in the Bosa camp. Then the Cardinals hired KK, and KM announced for the draft. After much analysis (remember, I was always a pro 6'5" QB kind of guy), it became obvious this route could be special. Hell, if the Cardinals stuck with Rosen, I'd be looking for all the reasons that KK could turn him around. I certainly wouldn't be bashing the pro Murray guys that might be pissed that he was with another team instead of ours. You are just a fan. This is the path that our ownership has taken. Jump on board & enjoy the ride. If it doesn't pan out, the next train will come by soon enough.

OP
OP
PACardsFan

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Threads like these are 2 fold and both have the same message between both camps: If Murray doesn't transcend the game to the point that they start chiseling his likeness on Mt. Rushmore, they might need to create a new suicide hotline just for those in the "Murray is God" camp. The same can be said for the "I Hate Murray" campers if he does blow everyone's mind. The only reasonable group are those like me who are in the "Why don't we wait and see" camp. Quite frankly, I don't understand why anyone would want him to fail. He's our QB. We should all be rooting for him to be a football god.

I understand that I'm one of those big pro Murray guys, but suicide hotline??? All I want is to NEVER have to experience what we were forced to watch last year. I truly think Murray will be great. But, if for whatever reason being, it doesn't pan out, then I'll be on board with whatever direction ownership takes us next. We are only fans & I've been down this path for many, many years.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We just witnessed the absolute WORST season in Cardinal history. We followed that up by having what appears to be a great draft (we'll know more in 3 years). We have hired a young, innovative HC and drafted a QB that fits his system like a glove. We have added pieces on both sides of the ball & hired assistant coaches with vast NFL experience to help our college HC assimilate better into the NFL game. What is not to get excited about?? In all my 55+ years of watching this team, we have never had an offseason with this much promise. We all know how cursed this franchise has been over the years. And yes, there are no guarantees. But after picking 1st overall for the first time in like forever, this IS our time to dream about what might be. So what if the Cardinals didn't pick the guy you wanted them too. Not that months ago, I was clearly in the Bosa camp. Then the Cardinals hired KK, and KM announced for the draft. After much analysis (remember, I was always a pro 6'5" QB kind of guy), it became obvious this route could be special. Hell, if the Cardinals stuck with Rosen, I'd be looking for all the reasons that KK could turn him around. I certainly wouldn't be bashing the pro Murray guys that might be pissed that he was with another team instead of ours. You are just a fan. This is the path that our ownership has taken. Jump on board & enjoy the ride. If it doesn't pan out, the next train will come by soon enough.
Well said. However the naysayers just refuse to allow us to look through the rose colored glasses and I don’t get it. What’s even more baffling is they don’t get the fact that they can type till their fingers are bleeding and it’s not going to change our minds.

You know what ? The naysayers might be right. The odds are actually in their favor of being right. But you can bet if they are wrong they will be fighting for one of the better seats on the bandwagon.

OP
OP
PACardsFan

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, I used to be that way, and I think the past two years really beat it out of me.

Taking my friends to their first football game all the way on another continent two years ago, only to have the Cardinals score 0 is probably the first time the darksider in me started to bloom.

I've been there too. I moved to Washington DC right out of college back when the Skins were winning SB's. With the Cardinals in the NFC East, I saw them play every year in Washington for what seemed like decades. There were so many 40 point beat downs, when we were lucky to manage a FG. Exactly why I'm excited to go the offensive route now.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I understand that I'm one of those big pro Murray guys, but suicide hotline??? All I want is to NEVER have to experience what we were forced to watch last year. I truly think Murray will be great. But, if for whatever reason being, it doesn't pan out, then I'll be on board with whatever direction ownership takes us next. We are only fans & I've been down this path for many, many years.
Oh, believe me. If Murray doesn't prove to be the 2nd coming some people are going need to be talked down from the ledge.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm a Cardinals, Suns, Anaheim Ducks, and Angels fan... and I didn't pay attention enough to hockey when I was young to truly care about the Ducks win. So frustrating.
Sometimes I wish I knew what it felt like to root for a dynasty but if you're not a fan of those teams, winning a title is more appreciated. Like, I can't imagine what it's like to be a Nationals fan or a fan of most teams in the NBA.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Not really. I opened the thread and said, "Oh great, another KM is god thread." I figured a few people would scoff at the OP, but people are...backing it and doubling down on it? I mean, FFS, he's already in the hall of fame according to KM lovers! Look, I didn't want him and think we made a mistake getting rid of Rosen, but I'm a Cards fan. He's my QB now and I want him to succeed. Even if this were my consensus #1 pick, holy cow, how did we land him draft pick, I wouldn't be THIS high on the kid. He's not TAKEN A PRESEASON SNAP yet, let alone a regular season snap. Give me a freaking break already!
I’m excited about the Potential Murray has talent wise. But I’m not setting any major/unrealistic expectations. After the season we had last year I just want an exciting team again.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I am more of a realist. History if you pay attention to it, tells us that the KK/KM combination has a greater chance of failure than success. You would be hard pressed to find a story of success in the NFL where a team has both a rookie HC with a losing collegiate record and a one year wonder QB out of college that turned into immediate success not only in the short term but the long term.

I also think that the pro Murray cheerleaders are overlooking the fact that NFL defenses are not college defenses and given time will figure out KK's air raid and shoot it down. From all the rhetoric I read by the pro Murray group, it seems like you expect the NFL defenses to just lay down and say OH NO! it's Kyler Murray and Kliff Kingsbury we give up.

I appreciate your positivity, but I also think the pro Murray camp has it's head in the clouds wearing rose colored glasses about just how much immediate success these two guys will experience. You seem to lose sight of the fact that all the defenders playing in the NFL are quicker and faster than anything Murray has ever seen in college. He may have seen one or two but he has never gone up against an entire team of defenders who are quicker and faster and more experienced than anything he faced in college.

I have been a Cardinal fan for 52 years and I have to admit this is the first time in all those years where I am just not feeling positive about the team. Maybe it's all this over hyped Murray is God like and will tear up the NFL by storm BS that has me not feeling it or maybe it's a defense mechanism not to get hyped up if this plan fails spectacularly.

Now CW can respond and call me a douche and slanidrac16 can call me a Debbie downer but this is just where I am at right now.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am more of a realist. History if you pay attention to it, tells us that the KK/KM combination has a greater chance of failure than success. You would be hard pressed to find a story of success in the NFL where a team has both a rookie HC with a losing collegiate record and a one year wonder QB out of college that turned into immediate success not only in the short term but the long term.

I also think that the pro Murray cheerleaders are overlooking the fact that NFL defenses are not college defenses and given time will figure out KK's air raid and shoot it down. From all the rhetoric I read by the pro Murray group, it seems like you expect the NFL defenses to just lay down and say OH NO! it's Kyler Murray and Kliff Kingsbury we give up.

I appreciate your positivity, but I also think the pro Murray camp has it's head in the clouds wearing rose colored glasses about just how much immediate success these two guys will experience. You seem to lose sight of the fact that all the defenders playing in the NFL are quicker and faster than anything Murray has ever seen in college. He may have seen one or two but he has never gone up against an entire team of defenders who are quicker and faster and more experienced than anything he faced in college.

I have been a Cardinal fan for 52 years and I have to admit this is the first time in all those years where I am just not feeling positive about the team. Maybe it's all this over hyped Murray is God like and will tear up the NFL by storm BS that has me not feeling it or maybe it's a defense mechanism not to get hyped up if this plan fails spectacularly.

Now CW can respond and call me a douche and slanidrac16 can call me a Debbie downer but this is just where I am at right now.
I think you would be hard pressed to find it because it never has happened at all.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Being optimistic is cool, and, though I'm not, I have no problem with it. But I couldn't stand listening to Unchained Melody, a really good song, when Ghost came out, because it was EVERYWHERE. And reading the "KM is God" posts is like listening to an airhead blab "Ohmygodthey'reSOhotSOcuteSOwhatever'scooltosaytodaythey'rejustthebestIcan'tevenifangelssangaunicornintoexistencethesoundwouldlooklikethem" 5 gazillion times over and over again.

But also, re-read what you said. Be negative a few times, but be insanely annoying as much as you want. That's the essence I got out of it. These posts are like Mitch's old "We'll trade a half-eaten bag of Doritos for Peyton Manning" threads. No realism whatsoever. Pipe dreams. Pie in the sky. While some people might enjoy the read, it didn't mean the board would be made better by being choked with them.

Optimism, and "I think KM is going to be good" posts/threads? Cool. But, Jesus, he's already in the HOF to some people. And I think the airhead listed above sounds more interesting than THAT.

Haha. Okay man, I can respect that point of view. I appreciate the thoughtful response.

And just once for the record, I understand there's only a tiny chance Murray will be a HOF NFL player.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

This is what gives me hope tbh.. I'm glad there isn't a ton of hype outside of some on this board. Low expectations always make for better outcomes in my opinion. :)

OP
OP
PACardsFan

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

So Cardpa, you're roughly my age & we've been Cardinal fans for many DECADES now. Congratulations! Btw, what the hell is wrong with us:cheers:. This being said, I truly find it hard to believe that for the FIRST time in 52 years as a fan, you're not feeling positive about the Cardinal team???? So essentially you have less trust in a Murray led team, than Cardinal teams that were being led by such QB stalwarts as Gary Cuozzo, Steve Pisarkiewicz, Gary Hogeboom, Timm Rosenbach, Tom Tupa, Stan Gelbaugh, Steve Beuerlein, Jay Schroeder, Dave Krieg, Jeff Blake, Josh McCown, Derek Anderson, John Skelton, Max Hall, Kevin Kolb, Blaine Gabbert, Drew Stanton, etc?? And our current Defense has 3 future HOF'ers on it. In your 52 years as a fan, even during our best of times, our D was pathetic. If you're not feeling at least a little positive about this upcoming season, it's because you don't want to.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
So Cardpa, you're roughly my age & we've been Cardinal fans for many DECADES now. Congratulations! Btw, what the hell is wrong with us:cheers:. This being said, I truly find it hard to believe that for the FIRST time in 52 years as a fan, you're not feeling positive about the Cardinal team???? So essentially you have less trust in a Murray led team, than Cardinal teams that were being led by such QB stalwarts as Gary Cuozzo, Steve Pisarkiewicz, Gary Hogeboom, Timm Rosenbach, Tom Tupa, Stan Gelbaugh, Steve Beuerlein, Jay Schroeder, Dave Krieg, Jeff Blake, Josh McCown, Derek Anderson, John Skelton, Max Hall, Kevin Kolb, Blaine Gabbert, Drew Stanton, etc?? And our current Defense has 3 future HOF'ers on it. In your 52 years as a fan, even during our best of times, our D was pathetic. If you're not feeling at least a little positive about this upcoming season, it's because you don't want to.

Great post.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Would posters be upset if it was Andrew Luck that we drafted and the board was mostly if not entirely thrilled?

IIRC most here were thrilled when we drafted Leinart and I don't recall all this "civil war" hysteria.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Concise post are very enjoyable to read and I will not call you a Debbie downer for that. However I will ask you should we expect a big downward turn on Mahomes/Reid and Goff/McVay since the league is going to catch on to them?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would posters be upset if it was Andrew Luck that we drafted and the board was mostly if not entirely thrilled?

IIRC most here were thrilled when we drafted Leinart and I don't recall all this "civil war" hysteria.
I agree. I was thrilled to death. I thought we had our qb set for the next 10 years.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Solar, Solar, Solar. You quoted my post of 4500 yds and 40 tds.out of context. I posted those numbers to get a rise out of you because I KNEW you would respond even though you were complaining about the pro Murray post.

After you responded I laughed out loud because I knew you couldn’t resist responding AGAIN and told you I didn’t believe those numbers.

And here we are again. One of the biggest proponents of “ let’s talk about something else” yet you’ve responded to this thread 10 times and now have helped it grow to 4 pages.

Lol, again.
Hey, we may as well have the discussion here instead of it leaking into yet another thread that isn't about Kyler. Regardless of your stats, that doesn't mean that the "unicorn" quote is untrue.

Regarding the bold, that's your spin on it. You can focus on the positive aspect of it, but I see "We have hired a young, failed HC, with no NFL coaching experience and drafted a historically short QB that only played in 13 games, playing only 4 games against ranked teams. Our GM who is on the hot seat chose his entire coaching staff because he doesn't know anyone in the NFL. What is there to get excited about??"

Leinart played multiple years at a storied program against many ranked programs, winning a Heisman, a National Championship, and almost winning a second of both. Plus we got him at 10, we didn't draft him at #1. We also didn't waste a top ten pick, 3rd, and 5th rounder to play his position the year prior.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Concise post are very enjoyable to read and I will not call you a Debbie downer for that. However I will ask you should we expect a big downward turn on Mahomes/Reid and Goff/McVay since the league is going to catch on to them?

Well Mahones lost one big playmaker and and the verdict is still out with Hill so I believe that is going to hurt them a lot. Reid is also an experienced coach with many years in the NFL. Reid, I believe will make the adjustments due to his experience than KK. Mahones also had 2 years playing in college.

As for Goff/McVay, McVay also has some NFL experience and Goff started 3 years in college. I know some will point to Kingsbury having played in the NFL however he barely saw the field and he has no experience as a coach in the NFL.

To answer your question, Yes I believe the Mahones/Reid duo will not have the same success this year as last year. Of course there are factors as I stated before with the loss of Hunt and the questions surrounding Hill. Not having those two will affect Kelce and his ability to get open. Reid will make somewhat of a difference but losing playmakers like Hunt and possibly Hill is going to hurt them. Those two are not easy to replace.

I think the Goff/McVay duo will depend on how Gurley performs this year. He had as much to do with their success as anyone. The question is will he continue to be injury prone as he was last last year. The Rams caught lightning in a bottle with Anderson when Gurley was hurt. The Rams have a pretty solid Oline that helps too. McVay and Goff have also put two good seasons together so I expect them to continue their winning ways unless Gurley comes up lame and they have no replacement for him. If Gurley falters then their road to winning becomes more difficult and it will be interesting to see what McVay can pull out of the hat without a very good running game.

I have a bigger concern with KK than Murray in that he has put points on the board but hasn't been able to produce winning records with it. I also have some concerns with leadership. At the end of the day someone needs to be in charge and take responsibility for the entire team and the feeling I get is Kingsbury isn't that guy. As a HC you need to be the guy who makes the final decisions and you need to have your finger on the pulse of the entire team. It seems to me Kingsbury only focused on the offense and really didn't pay much attention to the other facets of the teams he coached. Maybe Vance will turn the defense into a formidable defense and maybe Keim and Kingsbury are hoping Vance's HC experience will help Kingsbury along, but if that's the case then why hire Kingsbury as a HC when you probably could have gotten him as an OC.

I also think Murray will be in for a rude awakening. I think DBs will bait him into bad throws and the defenses he will see in the NFL will be far more complex than he ever saw in college. I don't think Murray is mentally tough in that he has never had to deal with multiple losses or had to deal with a losing streak and the first time it happens and it will happen, he will start to question things and will start to force throws and take off when he really shouldn't and put himself at risk for injury. He never lost in High School and lost two in college and not consecutively. I expect him to have some pretty good outings in pre season with vanilla defenses, but once the bullets start to fly it will be a whole different story.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score

I am talking about before the season starts and maybe it's because for years now the Oline just doesn't get addressed properly and after last years disaster I don't see it changing much.

OP
OP
PACardsFan

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Well Mahones lost one big playmaker and and the verdict is still out with Hill so I believe that is going to hurt them a lot. Reid is also an experienced coach with many years in the NFL. Reid, I believe will make the adjustments due to his experience than KK. Mahones also had 2 years playing in college.

As for Goff/McVay, McVay also has some NFL experience and Goff started 3 years in college. I know some will point to Kingsbury having played in the NFL however he barely saw the field and he has no experience as a coach in the NFL.

To answer your question, Yes I believe the Mahones/Reid duo will not have the same success this year as last year. Of course there are factors as I stated before with the loss of Hunt and the questions surrounding Hill. Not having those two will affect Kelce and his ability to get open. Reid will make somewhat of a difference but losing playmakers like Hunt and possibly Hill is going to hurt them. Those two are not easy to replace.

I think the Goff/McVay duo will depend on how Gurley performs this year. He had as much to do with their success as anyone. The question is will he continue to be injury prone as he was last last year. The Rams caught lightning in a bottle with Anderson when Gurley was hurt. The Rams have a pretty solid Oline that helps too. McVay and Goff have also put two good seasons together so I expect them to continue their winning ways unless Gurley comes up lame and they have no replacement for him. If Gurley falters then their road to winning becomes more difficult and it will be interesting to see what McVay can pull out of the hat without a very good running game.

I have a bigger concern with KK than Murray in that he has put points on the board but hasn't been able to produce winning records with it. I also have some concerns with leadership. At the end of the day someone needs to be in charge and take responsibility for the entire team and the feeling I get is Kingsbury isn't that guy. As a HC you need to be the guy who makes the final decisions and you need to have your finger on the pulse of the entire team. It seems to me Kingsbury only focused on the offense and really didn't pay much attention to the other facets of the teams he coached. Maybe Vance will turn the defense into a formidable defense and maybe Keim and Kingsbury are hoping Vance's HC experience will help Kingsbury along, but if that's the case then why hire Kingsbury as a HC when you probably could have gotten him as an OC.

I also think Murray will be in for a rude awakening. I think DBs will bait him into bad throws and the defenses he will see in the NFL will be far more complex than he ever saw in college. I don't think Murray is mentally tough in that he has never had to deal with multiple losses or had to deal with a losing streak and the first time it happens and it will happen, he will start to question things and will start to force throws and take off when he really shouldn't and put himself at risk for injury. He never lost in High School and lost two in college and not consecutively. I expect him to have some pretty good outings in pre season with vanilla defenses, but once the bullets start to fly it will be a whole different story.

You claim that Murray isn’t mentally tough because he’s NEVER lost in HS & lost only twice in college. So you’re going to somehow spin that into a negative??? Maybe, just maybe that happened because he’s more physically gifted AND mentally tougher than most QB’s we’ve seen in recent history.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
You claim that Murray isn’t mentally tough because he’s NEVER lost in HS & lost only twice in college. So you’re going to somehow spin that into a negative??? Maybe, just maybe that happened because he’s more physically gifted AND mentally tougher than most QB’s we’ve seen in recent history.
We just don't know either way at this point. This is the least talented team he's ever played on compared to the competition. We're likely to lose more games than he's ever experienced.

Just another concern, but I've already explained my stance on this part plenty of times.

OP
OP
PACardsFan

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We just don't know either way at this point. This is the least talented team he's ever played on compared to the competition. We're likely to lose more games than he's ever experienced.

Just another concern, but I've already explained my stance on this part plenty of times.

Could be true, but also could be true that he played on more talented teams than the competition in large part because of HIS contributions. A great QB can hide a lot of warts. Murray will make our OL look better than it actually is.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA