Cardinals may use shotgun formation exclusively or close to it

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cardinals may use shotgun formation exclusively or close to it

The infiltration of the college offense into the pro game continues, and that likely will result in another franchise embracing shotgun formation, most if not all of the time.

As Bob McManaman of the Arizona Republic explains it, the Cardinals are expected to rarely put quarterback Kyler Murray under center.

Coach Kliff Kingsbury initially was coy on the topic, but it became clear that he’s got no qualms about a shotgun-heavy approach.

Asked this week whether the team may spend 90 percent or more of its time with the center snapping the ball through the air to the quarterback, Kingsbury said, “I’m not sure.” He then elaborated in a way that suggested he is sure.

“That’s another thing we’re working through, to see what the best balance for us is,” Kingsbury said. “Last year, Kansas City was 80 percent-plus. They were decent on offense. Pretty good. So, we’ll see. Whatever fits our team best is what we’re going to do.”

What fits the team best is shotgun formation. It’s what Kingsbury used at Texas Tech, and it’s what Murray used at Oklahoma.

And it’s what Kingbury believes in. Here’s his answer when asked about the advantages and disadvantages of shotgun: “I’ve never seen disadvantages. Some people say there are. I don’t. . . . Some other people have theories about it, but I think you can do everything just as well from shotgun as you can under center.”

Kingsbury sees plenty of advantages to shotgun formation.

“It just eliminates having to get away from the center,” he said. “Those are big guys pushing back in your face right away. So you’re seeing a clearer picture sooner. Whereas when you’re under center, it takes a while to see the field and see that clear picture. To me, you’re able to see it clearer pre-snap and post-snap.”

To me, it’s becoming clearer that the Cardinals’ ratio of shotgun formation will be much higher than 80 percent.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
This makes me concerned for David Johnson, to be honest. I don't think a RB gets enough steam or the opportunity to hit the hole correctly this way.

Not that DJ won't have his successes in other ways, I just have the horrible memories of Whisenhunt's offense handing the ball off in a little shotgun counter and it never producing more than 2 yards.

OP
OP
BullheadCardFan

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This makes me concerned for David Johnson, to be honest. I don't think a RB gets enough steam or the opportunity to hit the hole correctly this way.

Not that DJ won't have his successes in other ways, I just have the horrible memories of Whisenhunt's offense handing the ball off in a little shotgun counter and it never producing more than 2 yards.
Especially when the Oline gets blown back into the backfield.

I do agree it will give the QB more of a chance to see the D and make adjustments prior to the snap.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

Thurman Thomas disagrees.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Concerned about a guy who only averaged 53 yards a game last season
DJ is a has been
Got his big money deal and sold out
He ran with no heart
Went down on tackles year prior he plowed through
DJ is soon to be gone if he doesn’t wake up and play like he can.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
DJ is a has been
He ran with no heart
This is total nonsense.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
DJ is a has been
He ran with no heart

Yikes. I’m the OG David Johnson skeptic, but I think we need to see what he does this year. It’s unlikely he meets or exceeds the production of 2016 ever again — which is one reason it was insane to extend him at that amount. That said, he’s probably better than last season when his DVOA was in the 40s. Oof.

He has to be a top 10 RB to keep justifying that contract. Unfortunately the Cards can’t really get out of this deal without dead money for another two years.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
DJ is a has been
He ran with no heart
Don't worry pal, I think this whole team is gonna be a relative disaster, if that makes you feel any better.

He seems to be a fantastic person to me, and I hope he rebounds. Last year wasn't his fault, but most RBs have a limited shelf life.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sounds like an admission that Stump Murray can’t play under center.

This fits the idea that Kingsbury is going to build something Kyler is comfortable with rather than jamming the square peg into the round hole. Anyone who expected anything different is delusional. In fact, even if the Cards had kept Rosen I suspect the rate of shotgun would have gone up.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
DJ is a has been
He ran with no heart

I think we have seen the best of DJ but I feel like you have gone too far to the extreme. Keim should be looking to improve the RB room when players start getting cut

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Actually I think DJ is a good runner out of the shotgun. He has good vision and can set up defenders with his deceptive movement. He isn't a power back who excels in heavy sets, even if he's built like one. The QB keeper threat with Murray will keep defenders honest and allow the OL to get more aggressively after the defense. The spread formations will soften the box as well. When you add KK's usage of the RB in the passing gams, I see DJ having a great year. No worries about the shotgun.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm surprised that Delmar, Solar and BW, are still posting here. Thought they would be over with the Dolphins. They can post what they like, just don't call themselves Cardinals fans.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To much shotgun? Worried about DJ? Kareem Hunt didn’t seem to mind. Todd Gurley didn’t seem to mind. Tyreek Cohen didn’t seem to mind.

DJ was one of the biggest victims of a depleted o-line, and inept OC and an offense with no big play weapons. He was one of the few weapons we had on this team and our head coach was to dumb to use him especially in the passing game.

Put me in the corner of “ not worried about DJ”.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
This is amazing if this is really your takeaway. When is the last time you watched a football game? The league average for shotgun is going to be 70%? 80%?
Anything to bash K1.

David Johnson played in a shotgun based offense in college, so hes demonstrated success running out of the shotgun in the past.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I'm surprised that Delmar, Solar and BW, are still posting here. Thought they would be over with the Dolphins. They can post what they like, just don't call themselves Cardinals fans.
Meh.... They are good guys. let them do their thing.

Once K1, K2 & the team take off, they will reluctantly get on board.

I will buy all of them a beer down the road. Just by being a Cards fan, you have walked through a mile of crap. We all deserve to vent a bit.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

I will buy all of them a beer down the road. Just by being a Cards fan, you have walked through a mile of crap. We all deserve to vent a bit.

On a sidenote:

Its interesting that some fans had been calling Kliff Kingsbury K2 and Murray's nickname with teammates is K1.

K1 + K2 = ?

The suspense of that formula is what's driving this board crazy.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

Love this take. I'll split the tab with you Doctor.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Some say K2 is the pinnacle of mountain climbing. I am hoping his offense turns out to be the pinnacle as well.

And I like that alot better than anything with three K's in it. K1 & KK or KK & K1 or KM & KK

Give me K1 & K2 all day.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
This is amazing if this is really your takeaway. When is the last time you watched a football game? The league average for shotgun is going to be 70%? 80%?
Yep. You’re right, I haven’t watched a game in decades:sarcasm:.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Golfermcr