OT: Does this take you back to your childhood?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It does for me. We would have big neighborhood tournaments. No XBox in those days.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I never played wiffle ball. But, as a kid, we would play stickball
(with a rubber ball and a strike zone marked in chalk on a brick
wall at the school yard).

A batter, a pitcher and a fielder. And we alternated. Who says
you need 18 guys to play baseball? My best pitch was a
changeup. My only pitch was a changeup. :)

Basketball in the park had its 3-on-3, 2-hand touch football in
the street or in the cemetery had its 3-on-3 and baseball had
its 1-on-1-on-1 = 3. Fun days!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whiffle ball and super balls, my favorite "toys" growing up. I learned to throw a curve with a whiffle ball and mastered the art of the long ball by taking swings at a super ball. Okay, there wasn't much to master, if you nailed a super ball with a bat, it traveled forever and it was almost impossible to NOT throw a curve with a whiffle.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I never played wiffle ball. But, as a kid, we would play stickball
(with a rubber ball and a strike zone marked in chalk on a brick
wall at the school yard).

A batter, a pitcher and a fielder. And we alternated. Who says
you need 18 guys to play baseball? My best pitch was a
changeup. My only pitch was a changeup. :)

Basketball in the park had its 3-on-3, 2-hand touch football in
the street or in the cemetery had its 3-on-3 and baseball had
its 1-on-1-on-1 = 3. Fun days!
Jesus Christ how old are you?I thought stick ball was banned after the end of the Second World War.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Jesus Christ how old are you?I thought stick ball was banned after the end of the Second World War.

Just look to the left of my posts right under 'Contributor' and you'll see.

<---------------------------

Maybe someday you'll be a senior citizen. Remember this conversation.

I was four at the end of WWII. And I remember playing stick ball when I was 14 in 1955.

The year that Rock'n'Roll took over the pop charts.

But Steve is right. I am not "quite" as old as the original J.C. :)

Or the other
J.C., Jerry Colangelo (but close).

BTW, shouldn't the other J.C. (Sunsfan) have put this thread on the ASFN Diamondbacks baseball site?

You must be registered for see images attach

Have a nice day!

Last edited:

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
My parents had a yard that was perfect for a whiffle ball setup. A grass section that faced a pool. The bases were in the grass, and the outfield was the pool area. We made up rules. Hit it over the wall, it's a home run of course, hit it in the pool, it's a double. If the ball was caught well jumping into the pool, it's a double play. Had a blast. We had epic whiffle ball games back there.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
summer recreation at Madison Meadows. Thanks for that short trip down memory lane JC. Hope everyone is doing well here. - Joe

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Just look to the left of my posts right under 'Contributor' and you'll see.

<---------------------------

Maybe someday you'll be a senior citizen. Remember this conversation.

I was four at the end of WWII. And I remember playing stick ball when I was 14 in 1955.

The year that Rock'n'Roll took over the pop charts.

But Steve is right. I am not "quite" as old as the original J.C. :)

Or the other
J.C., Jerry Colangelo (but close).

BTW, shouldn't the other J.C. (Sunsfan) have put this thread on the ASFN Diamondbacks baseball site?

You must be registered for see images attach

Have a nice day!

Sorry if I was offensive. I was just trying to be funny. Several years ago they had one of these wiffle ball world things at Kiwanis park. People from all over the world attended. I went there to practice with my softball team early the next morning and there was all sorts of free gear piled next to the trash can. I got a couple of hundred dollars worth of brand new folding chairs, ice chests, etc. Evidently they flew in bought the stuff, used it once and left it there.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
When I was a kid, I had an odd wiffle ball batting system. I batted right handed, and never, not that I can remember, made an out from the right side of the plate. Everyone I played with knew when I batted rightie, it was a hit. I just could not hit for power from the right side. Sure hit, but single or double. From the left side I could hit home runs out of the neighborhood, and we did lose some wiffle balls, but I only bat maybe .300 or .400 from the left side. When I caught one leftie, good night! So almost everyone didn't want me to bat leftie, mostly because I would lose a wiffle ball for us when I did. Never could launch homers like that with a real baseball. I think it was because I could really get some incredible bat speed with those light saber bats!

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Sorry if I was offensive. I was just trying to be funny.
Thanks. Need I say that age discrimination, or any group discrimination, is not funny?

I took a post-grad course in Industrial Psychology at ASU years ago. I guess that makes me a devilalum, too. :)

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
summer recreation at Madison Meadows. Thanks for that short trip down memory lane JC. Hope everyone is doing well here. - Joe
Wow! I talked to you on this board WAY back maybe 1997? Early 2000's? Hope you are doing well!

Last edited:

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Thanks. Need I say that age discrimination, or any group discrimination, is not funny?

I took a post-grad course in Industrial Psychology at ASU years ago. I guess that makes me a devilalum, too. :)

Ok, so I won’t make a crack about the BC in your user name being a reference to your birthday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Ok, so I won’t make a crack about the BC in your user name being a reference to your birthday.

Actually, BC are my initials. My parents fought about a middle name, so my birth certificate shows none. That's why it's just BC.

My birthday was a national holiday, Washington's Birthday, once upon a time. Pissed me off when they changed it to Presidents Day.

My birth date, yup, was 78 years ago. Even though it sounds strange when I say it. Except for osteo-arthritis and difficulty in remembering
names and numbers, I don't feel any different now than I did fifty years ago. The last time I drove past Sun City, I referred to them as the
blue haired folks, as a generalization. :)

One on one, though, age is just a state of mind. Each person handles it differently.

P.S.: Actually, I am very happy that I was born when I was. Unlike the generation before me, non-party line telephones, refrigerators and TV's
were prevalent. And, with the way the world is going, I figure I'll be checking out at a good time. Seriously!

Last edited:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
My grandmother was born before the Model T and Model A automobiles. In her life she went from horses to watching a man land on the moon. One of the coolest things I ever did was bring her to my house to make bread. She was known in her hometown for her bread. She used to describe to me all the little steps and extras she did to make a loaf of bread. I pulled out a bread maker, dumped in some water and some ingredients. Hit a button, and then explained to her that the machine was going to do all that labor and bake the bread. I asked he if in her lifetime ahe would ever imagine a machine that fit on your countertop that could make a hot loaf of bread from scratch? In her lifetime she saw amazing change. Then I compare it to my kids. They have never seen a person on the moon. The big changes for them are smaller cell phones. LOL. I know medecine and surgeries are advancing rapidly, but you don't see those everyday. Just in my life things have changed tremendously. I lived the whole computer revolution. From paper tape and punched cards to solid state hard drives. I have a house built in 2005 that has copper phone lines. Probably won't see those anymore! It seems like we are kind of stagnating a bit as humans. Time for some real advances. Houses made differently and more energy efficient. Cars radically different. New and different technology that will create new industries for humans. It's time for that next step in civilization.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
My grandmother was born before the Model T and Model A automobiles. In her life she went from horses to watching a man land on the moon. One of the coolest things I ever did was bring her to my house to make bread. She was known in her hometown for her bread. She used to describe to me all the little steps and extras she did to make a loaf of bread. I pulled out a bread maker, dumped in some water and some ingredients. Hit a button, and then explained to her that the machine was going to do all that labor and bake the bread. I asked he if in her lifetime ahe would ever imagine a machine that fit on your countertop that could make a hot loaf of bread from scratch? In her lifetime she saw amazing change. Then I compare it to my kids. They have never seen a person on the moon. The big changes for them are smaller cell phones. LOL. I know medecine and surgeries are advancing rapidly, but you don't see those everyday. Just in my life things have changed tremendously. I lived the whole computer revolution. From paper tape and punched cards to solid state hard drives. I have a house built in 2005 that has copper phone lines. Probably won't see those anymore! It seems like we are kind of stagnating a bit as humans. Time for some real advances. Houses made differently and more energy efficient. Cars radically different. New and different technology that will create new industries for humans. It's time for that next step in civilization.
I think you’ve got your eyes closed. Smart homes, self driving and navigating and electric cars, the most powerful computers in the palm of your hand, deeper exploration or seas, and greater lengths of exploration into the cosmos. Yeah teleportation hasn’t been perfected yet but if you don’t see the changes around you I can only assume you sit in your own little bubble.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think you’ve got your eyes closed. Smart homes, self driving and navigating and electric cars, the most powerful computers in the palm of your hand, deeper exploration or seas, and greater lengths of exploration into the cosmos. Yeah teleportation hasn’t been perfected yet but if you don’t see the changes around you I can only assume you sit in your own little bubble.
I got ya. However, I did mean in everyday life. I do monitor all things science. However, our day to day lives are very similar as they were ten or twenty years ago. Smart homes are just a few wires and baubles. Not a real technological breakthrough in how efficient, and radical design and features. Pretty much the house I have that was built in 2005, is very similar to the one I grew up in, in materials and features. Yes, we have computers in our hands. We have had this technology for decades now. Self driving and electric cars are still a minor fraction of the cars you see on our highways in Phoenix. It is not essentially part of everyone's everyday life. Most of us are still steering our cars and pushing pedals to drive them. I have seen some amazing medical advances the last twenty years. Like I said, I have been part of the computer industry, and while there has been a minimization and concentration of computing power, in everyday life we don't have light based quantum computers in every home yet. Yes there's amazing things, but really haven't changed our daily lives that much. I still have the same oven to heat my food my mom used when she was a girl! We do have microwave ovens, but my mother in law has had one of those that's from the 1970's! Were's my flying car? :) I do live in a bubble of social media and news that is catered to only what I want to hear! :) So does everyone! Is that progress? :eek:

Get off my lawn! :mulli:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rude much?

I think BC took it that way too but I didn't and I didn't think devilalum meant it that way either. To me, he was just trying to be playful but that's what happens on the internets, said are things that misunderstood will be.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I got ya. However, I did mean in everyday life. I do monitor all things science. However, our day to day lives are very similar as they were ten or twenty years ago. Smart homes are just a few wires and baubles. Not a real technological breakthrough in how efficient, and radical design and features. Pretty much the house I have that was built in 2005, is very similar to the one I grew up in, in materials and features. Yes, we have computers in our hands. We have had this technology for decades now. Self driving and electric cars are still a minor fraction of the cars you see on our highways in Phoenix. It is not essentially part of everyone's everyday life. Most of us are still steering our cars and pushing pedals to drive them. I have seen some amazing medical advances the last twenty years. Like I said, I have been part of the computer industry, and while there has been a minimization and concentration of computing power, in everyday life we don't have light based quantum computers in every home yet. Yes there's amazing things, but really haven't changed our daily lives that much. I still have the same oven to heat my food my mom used when she was a girl! We do have microwave ovens, but my mother in law has had one of those that's from the 1970's! Were's my flying car? :) I do live in a bubble of social media and news that is catered to only what I want to hear! :) So does everyone! Is that progress? :eek:

Get off my lawn! :mulli:
Lol. I don’t know, think about online commerce. That’s an enormous change. I would bet the in-store experience of many consumers is a fraction of what it was 10 years ago. Heck, many companies have gone out of business as a result, so it’s very real.

And though self driving cars aren’t the norm, electric cars are increasing exponentially. And more cars have many more advanced safety features. And items like lane correct or self parking are becoming more prevalent. So I think you’re failing to recognize incremental changes.

As for cooking I know our house is now dependent on some contraption I bought my girlfriend which allows her to cook everything safely all day while at work. That’s neither a convention stove/oven nor microwave.

Also, if you back to your childhood I think it’s all relative. I consider my childhood in the 70s and we have travelled a vast difference. And we will continue to do so until what I hope is a grand old age. I’m almost certain our kids or grandchildren will marvel at what we didn’t have the same way we do about our grandparents.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
As for cooking I know our house is now dependent on some contraption I bought my girlfriend which allows her to cook everything safely all day while at work. That’s neither a convention stove/oven nor microwave.

It's called a crockpot or a pressure cooker, or now they call them instant pots. I know I have used them since my childhood! ;)

Seriously, I worked as a car salesman a few years back, and I was amazed that the common cars we sold were not that much different than the ones I learned to drive on. Sure they bolted on some emissions systems, and entertainment systems, but a series of explosions were still propelling the finely engineered hunk of metal down the road. Henry Ford had an electric car he was tinkering on and involved Tesla in the experiment. We keep think how "new" things are. I had grocery delivery when I was a kid. We had on-line commerce, it was Sears, Penny's, etc. They just didn't make the change from catalogs to internet catalogs fast enough. I just bought a refrigerator from Sears and it took them a week to try and charge for a refigerator from an on-line order, that we eventually had to pay by credit card because their on-line ordering department was THAT slow. They have problems that go further than not having an on-line presence. I kid you not!

I do think my grandchildren will see surgery without cutting you open. Agriculture and energy will undergo huge changes. I think when you are born in the future, your genetic makeup will have been cataloged in womb, and physical defects that can be fixed in womb will be, and a lifetime food and medical regime will have been created for you. We know less about nutrition than any other portion of medicine. Which allows us a vast room for human improvement. We will have another great growth spurt in all the areas of life.

I tell my kids how much their life will change in their lifetimes.

Mine, I am still living in the same stucco and wood housing I grew up in. I drive a similar car to what I grew up with. I have a cell phone, but really, I have done experiments of going without it for a couple days and I manage to live without consequence. Food technology hasn't changed that much in my life, so eating every day is similar to when I was a kid. I pay for everything with a card, like I did when I was young. My clothes are similar, too! :)

Oh, and the Suns STILL haven't won a Championship. :thud:

Last edited:
OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's called a crockpot or a pressure cooker, or now they call them instant pots. I know I have used them since my childhood! ;)

Seriously, I worked as a car salesman a few years back, and I was amazed that the common cars we sold were not that much different than the ones I learned to drive on. Sure they bolted on some emissions systems, and entertainment systems, but a series of explosions were still propelling the finely engineered hunk of metal down the road. Henry Ford had an electric car he was tinkering on and involved Tesla in the experiment. We keep think how "new" things are. I had grocery delivery when I was a kid. We had on-line commerce, it was Sears, Penny's, etc. They just didn't make the change from catalogs to internet catalogs fast enough. I just bought a refrigerator from Sears and it took them a week to try and charge for a refigerator from an on-line order, that we eventually had to pay by credit card because their on-line ordering department was THAT slow. They have problems that go further than not having an on-line presence. I kid you not!

I do think my grandchildren will see surgery without cutting you open. Agriculture and energy will undergo huge changes. I think when you are born in the future, your genetic makeup will have been cataloged in womb, and physical defects that can be fixed in womb will be, and a lifetime food and medical regime will have been created for you. We know less about nutrition than any other portion of medicine. Which allows us a vast room for human improvement. We will have another great growth spurt in all the areas of life. hout

I tell my kids how much their life will change in their lifetimes.

Mine, I am still living in the same stucco and wood housing I grew up in. I drive a similar car to what I grew up with. I have a cell phone, but really, I have done experiments of going without it for a couple days and I manage to live without consequence. Food technology hasn't changed that much in my life, so eating every day is similar to when I was a kid. I pay for everything with a card, like I did when I was young. My clothes are similar, too! :)

Oh, and the Suns STILL haven't won a Championship. :thud:
But that is all changing. Once electric cars are priced similarly to gas, have a similar range, and can be recharged in accessible locations, gas will be virtually over. Electric motors are so much more powerful and dependable. This should have been accomplished years ago.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose