Obtainable Point Guards this off-season

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I'll bet Eric Bledsoe will be available. He's looked awful in the Toronto series and is the most obvious player to take the blame if the Bucks end up blowing it. The Suns have a habit of trying to make nice with players after a messy break-up, so who knows.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I'll bet Eric Bledsoe will be available. He's looked awful in the Toronto series and is the most obvious player to take the blame if the Bucks end up blowing it. The Suns have a habit of trying to make nice with players after a messy break-up, so who knows.

My first thought was ... NO!

My second thought was ... no.

My third thought was ... hmmm, just might work.

New GM. New Head Coach. A subdued owner (a sub-dude). :)

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
My first thought was ... NO!

My second thought was ... no.

My third thought was ... hmmm, just might work.

New GM. New Head Coach. A subdued owner (a sub-dude). :)

Stick with your first and second thought. If he can quit on the team once, he can quit on it again.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't want him to be here anymore.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I hope we’re not the team giving Brogdon 100+ mil but this is the season of teams getting silly. Buckle up!

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hope we’re not the team giving Brogdon 100+ mil but this is the season of teams getting silly. Buckle up!
Something to consider. Brogdon is one of the most efficient players in the league. You dare not leave him open from the three. But teams don't leave him open because he plays next to Eric Bledsoe. Teams beg EB to shoot. He is also a very good defender. Is it possible that Brogdon would be a much better player alongside Devin Booker? Is it possible that he could blossom in productivity volume like Steve Nash did when he came to the Suns? Just a consideration.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Something to consider. Brogdon is one of the most efficient players in the league. You dare not leave him open from the three. But teams don't leave him open because he plays next to Eric Bledsoe. Teams beg EB to shoot. He is also a very good defender. Is it possible that Brogdon would be a much better player alongside Devin Booker? Is it possible that he could blossom in productivity volume like Steve Nash did when he came to the Suns? Just a consideration.

No, I don’t think he can become Nash.

Nash had all time great passing instincts, and was a great ball handler.

Brogden is not even very good at creating his own shot.

I like him a lot, but he will never be an all star.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No, I don’t think he can become Nash.

Nash had all time great passing instincts, and was a great ball handler.

Brogden is not even very good at creating his own shot.

I like him a lot, but he will never be an all star.
I did not say he could become Nash. I was asking if he could produce more volume on good efficiency like Nash did. I think it is a consideration.

OK. But just for giggles. Here is a comparison of Nash's first five years and Brogdon's first three. They are both 26 in the final year.

Nash is obviously the better passer by a mile, but Brogdon plays D.

I think Brogdon is worth investing big money.

https://www.basketball-reference.co...colm+Brogdon&player_id2=brogdma01&idx=players

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Giving big money to a contending team’s 4-5th best player reeks of what the Mavs did with Harrison Barnes. I’d rather give 2/25 to Darren Collison who can take care of the ball and stretch the floor. In that scenario I wouldn’t be opposed to going PG at #6.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He won't be available. He just signed a new deal that, especially after this summer, will look like a bargain. He is a highly efficient player who doesn't demand touches to be effective. He also was just on the 1st team all NBA defensive team. Skill wise, he is an ideal fit for the Suns.

The negative about Bledsoe is that he is a front running quitter. Not exactly ideal for a team that will undoubtedly have rough patches.

Still way better than Dragic though...

BOOM!!! Shots fired!!!

:p

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
I did not say he could become Nash. I was asking if he could produce more volume on good efficiency like Nash did. I think it is a consideration.

OK. But just for giggles. Here is a comparison of Nash's first five years and Brogdon's first three. They are both 26 in the final year.

Nash is obviously the better passer by a mile, but Brogdon plays D.

I think Brogdon is worth investing big money.

https://www.basketball-reference.co...colm+Brogdon&player_id2=brogdma01&idx=players

Interesting....Brogdon's shooting; FT% and FG% increased each season with an increase in his shot attempts.

We don't need a chucker that scores 30ppg. We need a guy that can defend, hit shots when left open and bring the ball up the floor.

The Suns are not going to fix their PG problem with the 6th pick. They are going to have to roll the dice and overpay someone. Why not Brogdon.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You dare not leave him open from 3?

Steve Nash?

Hell no. He’s an above average role player at best.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting....Brogdon's shooting; FT% and FG% increased each season with an increase in his shot attempts.

We don't need a chucker that scores 30ppg. We need a guy that can defend, hit shots when left open and bring the ball up the floor.

The Suns are not going to fix their PG problem with the 6th pick. They are going to have to roll the dice and overpay someone. Why not Brogdon.

You'd have a very short list if you took down the name of every happy team that significantly and knowingly overpaid for a player. He's a middle tier player at best yet it will likely take a max deal to have a chance to sign Brogdon away from the Bucks and it will cripple us for the future if we do. And he misses an average of 20 games a season too.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Didn't we over pay for Nash?

If you took all the overpaid players out of the league there would be no one left.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Giving big money to a contending team’s 4-5th best player reeks of what the Mavs did with Harrison Barnes. I’d rather give 2/25 to Darren Collison who can take care of the ball and stretch the floor. In that scenario I wouldn’t be opposed to going PG at #6.
That is such a bad comparison. Harrison Barnes was not nearly as efficient a player as Brogdon is. BTW. IMO Brogdon is the Bucks second best player.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If I am going to go all in for a pg, Brogdon would be a good one. He is the right age and has the right skill set.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't we over pay for Nash?

If you took all the overpaid players out of the league there would be no one left.

Actually, no, we didn't overpay, or at least not by much. Cuban was unwilling to commit to a long term contract because he didn't think Nash would hold up. I agree that you sometimes have to add a few million to bring in certain free agents or sometimes to keep your own but Nash was much better than Brogdon and with Malcolm we're talking about a salary that would be almost double what he should get.

And with all the complaining that was done here about Booker not earning his salary, he is a far better player than Brogdon and unlike Malcolm, he's likely to get quite a bit better.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
That is such a bad comparison. Harrison Barnes was not nearly as efficient a player as Brogdon is. BTW. IMO Brogdon is the Bucks second best player.

It’s not a comparison of skill sets. It’s overpaying a role player because he was on a great team... He’s also not their second best player. He’s not even their second best guard. Is Mike Budenholzer playing their 2nd best player 5th in minutes? Brogdon is averaging less assists with a worse AST/TO ratio than Eric Bledsoe who will all think has a terrible feel for playing PG. And for all the talk about Brogdon’s defense he’s nearly last among rotation players on the Bucks in DRTG and their only rotational player with a negative DBPM. So it depends how much you value elite shooting and how you think it would translate to the Suns.