Money and the NFL

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The money keeps pouring into the nfl. Tv contract, jerseys, concession, parking, advertising, luxury suites and draft now producing gobs of money. The combine will soon be doing the same.

I heard a radio host predict the salary cap will be $250m in the not too distant future.

When is enough enough? When will if ever the NFL think about the cost to the average fan? It’s to a point now the average avid NFL fan is relegated to being a spectator through media only.

I’m all for free enterprise and capitalism. But will there ever come a time where the NFL will take the average fan into consideration? Pay $150 for a ticket , $25 for parking and yet they still charge $7 for a hot dog or $10 for a beer.

I think Falcon owner Arthur Blank has reduced concessions dramatically but that’s about it.

Does it bother anybody else?

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been a season ticket holder for 22 years. This is the first year I won't be buying season tickets. I couldn't justify the cost anymore as my seats have gone up 400% since the new stadium opened.

Also I didn't enjoy going to the game as much with the long drive and dealing with getting in and out of parking and the stadium security. It just became too much of a hassle for me. Plus my kids didn't care about going to the games anymore. They would rather watch youtube videos than go see a football game.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I mean, I have this problem with pretty much everything, even outside of sports. Stagnant wages, increasing prices for all things.

But I can't really blame the NFL for it. What are they supposed to do, just start taking less money? The players don't want it, the owners don't want it, people will keep paying for it. That's the nature of the free market.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Watch most games in the home but the NFL will soon pass the breakeven point.

That's the point where the cost of doing business will far outweigh the profits of the game.

What will kill it?

Right now they operate well into the green. That will not be the case by the end of the next decade IMO.

You must be registered for see images attach

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean, I have this problem with pretty much everything, even outside of sports. Stagnant wages, increasing prices for all things.

But I can't really blame the NFL for it. What are they supposed to do, just start taking less money? The players don't want it, the owners don't want it, people will keep paying for it. That's the nature of the free market.

Yep. The stadium is sold out of 65k people buying $7 hot dogs. What is the incentive to lower it? To get other people to come in replacement of that person and spend less money?

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been a season ticket holder for 22 years. This is the first year I won't be buying season tickets. I couldn't justify the cost anymore as my seats have gone up 400% since the new stadium opened.

Also I didn't enjoy going to the game as much with the long drive and dealing with getting in and out of parking and the stadium security. It just became too much of a hassle for me. Plus my kids didn't care about going to the games anymore. They would rather watch youtube videos than go see a football game.
I hear ya. Last year was the first year in over 20 years that I didn't renew as well for the same reasons.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hear ya. Last year was the first year in over 20 years that I didn't renew as well for the same reasons.

You guys should just move to my section :)

Too non hoity toity for you rich folk :)

2 seats still 900.00 for the year totally affordable...

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Joe Sixpack and his $45K per year job can't ever go to a game anymore, if a single game experience with his family of 4 will cost nearly a thousand dollars. Gotta justify those linebackers getting 24000000 dollars per season though.

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Joe Sixpack and his $45K per year job can't ever go to a game anymore, if a single game experience with his family of 4 will cost nearly a thousand dollars. Gotta justify those linebackers getting 24000000 dollars per season though.
$1000??? right now you can get tickets on ticketmaster for week one vs DET starting @ $41ea in the upper deck and $84 lower. With fees 4 tickets would be $196 upper and $414 lower. You can get a PP for $20-30 on craigslist or from the sellers on Camelback or pay $20 to park at the church across the street from the Green entrance. Parked and in the door for $450 in the lower level. So they're spending $550 on concessions???
https://www1.ticketmaster.com/arizona-cardinals-vs-detroit-lions/event/190056768E7C222C

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Why is Joe Sixpack raising a family of four on a $45K salary? Why isn't mom working?

Joe Sixpack shouldn't be going to a game by himself at that pay, much less taking the whole family.

SeattleCard

Back in Arizona!!!
Reaction score
I just bought a nice new 65in LG OLED TV... and can't wait to see the Cards on it this fall. Hard to beat watching from home! The stadium experience is nice on occasion but home is sure nice.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The first football game I ever saw live(Cards @ Eagles 1978), the tickets were $10 each in the 700 level at the old Vet. My dad had season tickets from 1985-1990 for the Eagles in the 200 level in the endzone. IIRC they were about $20-$25 per seat per game(meaning 2 seats for a full season were $500 max for those first level seats. In 2015 when my wife and I became season ticket holders for the Eagles, tickets were $75 per game, pre-season included, so a full season was $1500(I split it with my brother). This doesn't count the $40 per game parking fee and the $5 bridge toll meaning you were out almost $200 before you sat down. God forbid you bought a soda and a hotdog. You had to mortgage your house for a cheesesteak and a beer. A frigging bottle of water ran you at least $6. The other sports aren't much better. And it's not going to change anytime soon. Why? At least with football the stands are packed every week in most cities. The only way it's going to change is if people stop going and that will never happen. Wait until they start charging for tv. I see that happening.

Oh, we gave up our seats last year. Couldn't afford it anymore and I make almost $100k a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The NFL is probably going to put the direct tv season ticket up for bidding when the current contract expires in a year or two. Amazon wants to own the universe and will spend billions of dollars to outbid DTV.

The NFL has changed it's rule about blackouts in local markets if the games not sold out because the amount of money earned from the stadium is dwarfed by the money they make off of their media contracts.

Hopefully the NFL will follow Blanks lead and start charging less for going to the game to ensure the stands are full.

Every company goes into business to make money and almost all of them strive to keep increasing profits every year.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
You guys should just move to my section :)

Too non hoity toity for you rich folk :)

2 seats still 900.00 for the year totally affordable...

I think you sit near me. Love where I sit and would not even think of paying more to sit anywhere else.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
I just bought a nice new 65in LG OLED TV... and can't wait to see the Cards on it this fall. Hard to beat watching from home! The stadium experience is nice on occasion but home is sure nice.

Exactly how I feel

Cardsmasochist

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I love football but the younger generations not so much.

CTE and NFL greed and arrogance will eventually be the downfall of the NFL.

Boxing and horse racing used to be the most popular sports in America.

Things change. The NFL won’t always be this dominant. Just don’t know for how long