Keim Breaks Down Murray's Film

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scott Bordow at the Athletic got to sit down with Keim and go over the film and the reasons for each draft pick. Up first is Kyler Murray

https://theathletic.com/991419/2019...icks-kyler-murray-up-first/?source=dailyemail

It’s 3 p.m. on Wednesday afternoon and Keim has agreed to sit down with The Athletic for a video review of Arizona’s top six draft picks: Oklahoma quarterback Kyler Murray, Washington cornerback Byron Murphy, UMass wide receiver Andy Isabella, Boston College defensive end Zach Allen, Iowa State wide receiver Hakeem Butler and Alabama safety Deionte Thompson.
Following the draft Keim said he “couldn’t be happier” with the players Arizona selected. Over the next hour, with the help of cut-ups provided to him, he’ll explain why he fell in love with those players.

The first clip of Murray already is up on the big screen. It’s from Oklahoma’s game against Alabama in the Capital One Orange Bowl college football semifinal last season.

Murray drops back but is flushed from the pocket. He eludes Alabama linebacker Anfernee Jennings by sliding to his right and then, moving forward and on the run, launches off one foot a 49-yard touchdown pass to receiver Charleston Rambo.
“This play is probably the one play I’ve watched more than any other just because in 21 years of doing this I don’t know if I’ve seen someone do something this unusual other than Patrick Mahomes,” Keim says. “Right here he’s in the shotgun, essentially there are two guys who are unblocked but he’s got a free runner off the edge and his ability to escape with his feet, not only escape but to get his eyes up downfield and … almost like a one-foot launch with how quick his release is and to be able to throw this ball with timing and touch is just amazing to me.”
Keim also was impressed by the fact Murray kept his head up as he escaped the pocket.
“You watch Michael Vick coming out, great players like that, right here they had to make a decision and a lot of those guys that were those type of quarterbacks they took off and ran,” Keim says. “This guy, the one thing, he always was looking to throw first.

There are a total of 3 plays he highlights

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
videos aren't transferring over but the athletic has a free trial if you want to see the series.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also the final word on why he drafted him

“Everybody talked about the Kingsbury-Kyler connection and why it made sense and he wouldn’t even go in the top 10 if it wasn’t for Kliff’s style of offense,” he says. “These are the thing I saw. I’m like, ‘I don’t know what everybody else was looking at but I don’t care what offense you’re playing.’ To be able to do these things and escape and play with your feet and arm like this

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the quote

Keim says to watch “how pretty the ball comes out,” and recounts the day he, team president Michael Bidwill and coach Kliff Kingsbury flew to Norman, Okla., to work Murray out.

“It’s just the way the ball came out of his hand,” he says. “It’s almost like there’s been a few guys I’ve looked at over the years, Mahomes being one them, and a couple other quarterbacks who I watched throw live in a pro workout and the ball almost makes a sound. You hear it as it comes out. To watch him (Murray) throw some of those deep outs, when you watch guys with this kind of arm talent the deep outs almost start to rise as they go out. It’s amazing.”

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Then why didn't you trade up and take Mahomes you goob???

I have two theories:

the more likely: they truly thought he would last till #13 and didn't need to trade up.

the conspiracy theory: Arians was all in on filling holes for one last run, and, wasn't interested in using a high #1 on a QB that wouldn't contribute right away --- and swayed opinions enough to get his way

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I have two theories:

the more likely: they truly thought he would last till #13 and didn't need to trade up.

the conspiracy theory: Arians was all in on filling holes for one last run, and, wasn't interested in using a high #1 on a QB that wouldn't contribute right away --- and swayed opinions enough to get his way

This on both fronts Karma. I honestly thought Mahomes was going to have problems with his accuracy but I was full of crap now seeing him play (but I have no doubts that Josh Allen will suck rocks). I wanted to keep Rosen (who I still feel can be a legit starter) but started to look back and I said "well Jet, you liked Wilson in the draft a lot but not Mahomes and now you have the medium between the two and you were totally off with Mahomes". Murray is in every sense the prospect Mahomes is at this point of being drafted. Mahomes has freakish arm strength but if you look at Murray, he still has elite arm strength, but not the full throttle Mahomes does, but few do. Murray is more athletic as a whole and faster and quicker than Mahomes, well he is but let's see how that makes him a success when the bullets fly, though one with any common sense would see that as an advantage... let's see how Kingsbury/Clements measure up to Andy Reid, because Murray does have the ability to match

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
It kind of pisses me off how much he talks about how only Mahomes had this good of a workout with him.

Because he was wasted out of his gourd. :) lol.. kidding...

Thanks for posting this Chris.

It reminded me of a part of Murray's game that people don't talk about enough, and that's his accuracy while throwing on the run.

I don't know if it's a baseball thing or what, but it's really going break some opposing fans' hearts.

And the great thing is, when he breaks containment, it's still 50/50 whether he will throw or run.

He's a great pocket passer. But when he's on the move, the man is positively dangerous.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It reminded me of a part of Murray's game that people don't talk about enough, and that's his accuracy while throwing on the run.

I don't know if it's a baseball thing or what, but it's really going break some opposing fans' hearts.

And the great thing is, when he breaks containment, it's still 50/50 whether he will throw or run.

He's a great pocket passer. But when he's on the move, the man is positively dangerous.

The video of the play in unbelievable. The Alabama defender has Murray as a dead sack.

He comes in untouched and has the angle but Murray easily evades him as he looks to run but keeps his head up and right as he gets close to the line of scrimmage throws a perfect bomb off one foot.

Keim isn't lying that the people that could do that are super rare.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There has NEVER been a QB like Murray

He's a generational talent

Like Zion in college hoops Murray will be amazing in the NFL.
Get your popcorn ready

If you listen closely you can hear d coordinators losing their mind ...'do we drop into coverage...damn it ...what if Murray runs....if we run a spy on Murray we lose a LB in coverage...if I tell the DE's to pin their ears back they'll leave running lanes...if we don't pressure him he'll throw all day on our CB's'

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

From watching tape on him... when forced out of the pocket (not a design run), he's more likely 80% to pass, but if he does run even as a pro it might be for twenty yards :)

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
From watching tape on him... when forced out of the pocket (not a design run), he's more likely 80% to pass, but if he does run even as a pro it might be for twenty yards :)

I didn't want to overstate it, but I got that same feeling too Jetstream. When he's on the move, he's still "pass first".

The ability to elude rushers, and still deliver accurate passes.. just murderous... That's why you would see OU receivers running wide, wide open sometimes.

"I can't wait for the first preseason game". Said nobody, ever, until this off-season. :)

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
lol We get it. We can put him in the HOF already, guys!

Seriously though, I understand that a lot of people wanted him, and want to be high on their team, but you're setting yourself up for failure here. Even if he does someday become that good, he is NOT going to be that good from day 1. Expecting him to be is a formula for heartbreak. If we had a top team around him already, AND he is that good? Maybe. We DON'T have a top team around him, so there will be growing pains one way or another.

I'm still highly skeptical, but crossing my fingers that I'm wrong. Even so, it's laughable to anoint him like this before he's even taken a preseason snap.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Regarding Mahomes. I really don't think that the Cards felt someone would move up to take him. But I also think that Karma may be right that BA influenced the drafting of Reddick as he had both Palmer and Drew Stanton. BA liked having veteran QBs run his offense. He din't like playing any rookies.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
It kind of pisses me off how much he talks about how only Mahomes had this good of a workout with him.

This all day! Now he’s desperately chasing unicorns because he thought players would fall on his lap.

I’ll give him some credit for willing to be aggressive, but it has been aggressive miscalculation IMO.

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
This all day! Now he’s desperately chasing unicorns because he thought players would fall on his lap.

I’ll give him some credit for willing to be aggressive, but it has been aggressive miscalculation IMO.

It’s all Arians and Bidwill’s fault.
Keim wanted Russell Wilson,Mahomes or Watson and wanted to hire Sean McVay to coach them. Don’t you remember the look of disappointment on Keim’s face when Bidwill hired Wilks?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keim wanted Russell Wilson,Mahomes or Watson and wanted to hire Sean McVay to coach them. Don’t you remember the look of disappointment on Keim’s face when Bidwill hired Wilks?

I find it strange that everyone has these make believe stories and regurgitates them like they are some sort of fact.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score

Seriously though, I understand that a lot of people wanted him, and want to be high on their team, but you're setting yourself up for failure here. Even if he does someday become that good, he is NOT going to be that good from day 1. Expecting him to be is a formula for heartbreak. If we had a top team around him already, AND he is that good? Maybe. We DON'T have a top team around him, so there will be growing pains one way or another.

I'm still highly skeptical, but crossing my fingers that I'm wrong. Even so, it's laughable to anoint him like this before he's even taken a preseason snap.
Totally agree, I go into this season like every other season- cautiously optimistic. I hope he's great and we get up on top again but comparing what he did in college when he was really never rushed and had wide open receivers to the NFL where he will face faster and bigger players is not a fair comparison. He'll grow as KK grows and hopefully we progress each game but I see this year as a rough growing pains type of year so patience is key

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
First. I'm not sure all of this is true but I know some of it is.

I think this is exactly why Keim wasn't fired after the last year he had.

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
First. I'm not sure all of this is true but I know some of it is.

I think this is exactly why Keim wasn't fired after the last year he had.

I wasn’t being serious and I forget that people believe those things on this board.
I don’t think any of it’s true. Keim for all of his faults as a GM doesn’t strike me as a panty waste. I believe he’s been hands on in every decision this organization has made since taking over.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

Man, this. It's all I've been trying to say. The slobbering over Kyler is just nuts.

As far as trading up for Mahomes goes, I don't think he thought we'd possibly lose out on both Watson and Mahomes in the way we did. I don't think any of us could have foreseen those trades, especially because that draft class was being completely panned at QB.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man, this. It's all I've been trying to say. The slobbering over Kyler is just nuts.

As far as trading up for Mahomes goes, I don't think he thought we'd possibly lose out on both Watson and Mahomes in the way we did. I don't think any of us could have foreseen those trades, especially because that draft class was being completely panned at QB.
Eh, you’ve been downplaying Kyler every chance you got.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Eh, you’ve been downplaying Kyler every chance you got.
I've tried here or there to bring up that I don't think he's the worst thing ever, unlike some, who are true Kyler haters, but I have to admit, I get riled up every time everyone starts to say he's going to be an absolute stud, and refuses to accept there's any flaws. There's 4-5 ASFN'ers who are already ready to say we're going to be a playoff team and that this kid's better than Mahomes or Wilson just because they're obviously in full kool-aid mode.

It seems like we can't have a thread where someone doesn't claim Kyler's going to mask all of this team's question marks, although I bet some people feel the opposite, like they can't go into a thread without someone bashing Kyler.

I'm just really struggling to find the positives.

Edit: Also frustrating is the minimal amount of coverage we've been allowed to get. I've been hoping we could get some highlights, interviews, anything to spawn some real hype, and there's not much of anything, so I'm stuck spinning my wheels with everyone.

I just want to get to camp or preseason and see some things actually get underway, or hear some reports from OTAs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA