Total Rumor - Anthony Davis to Suns?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You mean PGs that can at least raise the standard of play at that position up to average? :)

I think this is true. The Suns haven't had average point guard play except that brief 13 game stretch when they added Tyer Johnson. However, they need more than Tyler this upcoming season.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I prefer Giannis because he is younger!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think this is true. The Suns haven't had average point guard play except that brief 13 game stretch when they added Tyer Johnson. However, they need more than Tyler this upcoming season.
Really? Even though all metrics point to Devin Booker being among the best Point Guards playing? Granted, he's more naturally a SG, but you can't deny how well he has played the Point. People point to that like he's a boogie man or something. He needs support, no question, but he was a pretty damn good playmaker for quite a lot of time. Unfortunately, he was also relied on to do pretty much everything else that it actually affected his performance as a SG, not as a PG.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really? Even though all metrics point to Devin Booker being among the best Point Guards playing? Granted, he's more naturally a SG, but you can't deny how well he has played the Point. People point to that like he's a boogie man or something. He needs support, no question, but he was a pretty damn good playmaker for quite a lot of time. Unfortunately, he was also relied on to do pretty much everything else that it actually affected his performance as a SG, not as a PG.

The Suns need to add someone at point guard so Booker can be Booker. It's not that he cannot play point guard, it's that it takes away from his game. A point guard that can bring the ball up the court and initiate the offense will take a burden away from Booker.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The Suns need to add someone at point guard so Booker can be Booker. It's not that he cannot play point guard, it's that it takes away from his game. A point guard that can bring the ball up the court and initiate the offense will take a burden away from Booker.
But saying that we need at least average PG play, implying that we haven't had it, is erroneous at best.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We need a combo guard so Booker can be one or the other when it suits.

Jrue, Brogdon, DAR, Garland, even Coby would all work. Although if we add a rook, we also need a vet.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But saying that we need at least average PG play, implying that we haven't had it, is erroneous at best.

It's more about returning Booker to his normal position, shooting guard.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We need a combo guard so Booker can be one or the other when it suits.

Jrue, Brogdon, DAR, Garland, even Coby would all work. Although if we add a rook, we also need a vet.

I kept watching Brogdon play last night for the Bucks and asking myself would it work... playing Brogdon next to Booker. My answer was yes.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Not sure Milwaukee is going to let him go. They have him as one of their starters. I would be happy with him. But knowing Suns luck, he won't be available.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure Milwaukee is going to let him go. They have him as one of their starters. I would be happy with him. But knowing Suns luck, he won't be available.

Brogdon is a free agent so we shall see.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

I agree with Mainstreet AND you here.
I think Booker did very well. Bigger problem was that the team had nothing else. Once the defenses would start putting extra pressure on him, things would get bad quickly because there was no other playmaker. I think that Booker will always be a de-facto primary "playmaker" regardless of who the official point guard is. What I found encouraging is that when Johnson got used to the new team, he and Booker did great in the back court together, and the team player well. Johnson is definitely not a point guard, but he was enough of a playmaker for the teams not to be able to throw three people at point Book.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I agree with Mainstreet AND you here.
I think Booker did very well. Bigger problem was that the team had nothing else. Once the defenses would start putting extra pressure on him, things would get bad quickly because there was no other playmaker. I think that Booker will always be a de-facto primary "playmaker" regardless of who the official point guard is. What I found encouraging is that when Johnson got used to the new team, he and Booker did great in the back court together, and the team player well. Johnson is definitely not a point guard, but he was enough of a playmaker for the teams not to be able to throw three people at point Book.
Sometimes Booker and Crawford worked well together, too. I found it frustrating that Booker got double and triple teamed, and no one on the court could get open under those circumstances. Not sure if it was the players or coaching. With a new coach, hopefully that changes?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I kept watching Brogdon play last night for the Bucks and asking myself would it work... playing Brogdon next to Booker. My answer was yes.

Yes it would work.

A. Do you think he wants to sign with the suns - I doubt it.

B. Do you think Millwaukee wants to resign him - probably

C. Do you think other teams want a 50/40/90 guard and will also be after him - YES

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes it would work.

A. Do you think he wants to sign with the suns - I doubt it.

B. Do you think Millwaukee wants to resign him - probably

C. Do you think other teams want a 50/40/90 guard and will also be after him - YES

Brogdon will become a free agent. The Bucks can't pay everyone. It's up to the market and where Brogdon wants to play.

I don't think playing next to Booker is a bad gig.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Brogdon will become a free agent. The Bucks can't pay everyone. It's up to the market and where Brogdon wants to play.

I don't think playing next to Booker is a bad gig.
YOu have to overpay to get him. If you really believe you want him, you offer him a max or near max deal. If the Bucks match, then they are strapped, if not, you have your guy on an inflated deal, but you have your guy.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
YOu have to overpay to get him. If you really believe you want him, you offer him a max or near max deal. If the Bucks match, then they are strapped, if not, you have your guy on an inflated deal, but you have your guy.
He's solid but I can't see paying him that kind of money. He's more role player than star.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He's solid but I can't see paying him that kind of money. He's more role player than star.

Brogdon is a free agent.

I'm fine with overpaying to get him but not willing to go off the deep end. How much that would be, I'm not sure.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Brogdon is a free agent.

I'm fine with overpaying to get him but not willing to go off the deep end. How much that would be, I'm not sure.

I am still angry at McDonough for taking Monroe in the Bledsoe deal and not insisting on Brogdon being included.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am still angry at McDonough for taking Monroe in the Bledsoe deal and not insisting on Brogdon being included.

You're angry because Milwaukee isn't incredibly stupid? Bledsoe had very little value, we'd been trying to move him for awhile even before he sabotaged us on the court.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This was a bad move but McDonough put himself in this situation by not trading Bledsoe earlier. He wanted out.

It would have probably been better to keep Bledsoe and sit him rather than almost give him away for a later first round pick.

Sarver really tried to do it the right way by giving McDonough every chance.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave