Best camping not too far from Phoenix area for a 4-year old?

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We'll likely get out and do some camping this summer. My daughter is fascinated with the concept, though I'm sure she'll be disappointed that we likely won't be able to build a camp fire.

So, suggestions? It's been a while since I've been. Looking for an area in Prescott or Flag maybe with facilities. Want the option of checking into a hotel if she gets freaked out, lol.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those areas aren't my wheel house but I'm all for this. My youngest loves every bit of it.

Sent from MrYeahBut's phone using Tapatalk

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
We'll likely get out and do some camping this summer. My daughter is fascinated with the concept, though I'm sure she'll be disappointed that we likely won't be able to build a camp fire.

So, suggestions? It's been a while since I've been. Looking for an area in Prescott or Flag maybe with facilities. Want the option of checking into a hotel if she gets freaked out, lol.

I had just gone to Coconino, which didn't have any fire restrictions at the time (although it may have them as summer progresses). Williams was 15-30 minutes up the forest road with several hotels.

Heading to Mingus Mountain next, which currently does not have a fire restriction for dispersed camping. Prescott isn't too far away.

If you reserve a campsite with a fire ring, IIRC, campfires are allowed there year around. Double check fire restriction orders on the website and, if in doubt, call the forest's PAO for clarification.

If doing dispersed camping, double check for camping closure orders - I saw one the other day that closed the forest from Prescott to Camp Verde - apparently there's a crime problem.

OP
OP
Jersey Girl

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, guys! This is all helpful stuff.

LVG, I'm thinking Coconino since it is close to Williams and we have been wanting to go to Bearizona for a while now. Yeah, I know this is not your traditional camping, lol, but we have to start somewhere. :)

Reactions: LVG

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe start with a KOA - there is one outside of Williams near Bearizona.

They even have mini-cabins and teepees for rent

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
biggest hurdle for a little girl is usually them realizing they have to poop in the woods. Walmart and amazon have inexpensive folding toilet chairs.

something like this
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Thanks, guys! This is all helpful stuff.

LVG, I'm thinking Coconino since it is close to Williams and we have been wanting to go to Bearizona for a while now. Yeah, I know this is not your traditional camping, lol, but we have to start somewhere. :)

I really like Coconino; it was a clean forest floor and once you got on the forest roads for a bit, you were out in the wilderness. No one was around. Forest roads were in decent shape.

I plan on going back.

FYI, I was off of Fire Road 109 by the Whitehorse Campground.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flagstaff area is really nice. Just remember it is May and the roads can be awfully icy.

Here was I-40 this morning:

You must be registered for see images attach

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i-40 is a road made of nightmares. Constant pileups, accidents and deaths. I dont drive on it.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score

I've stayed at that one. That's a great area. Close to Bearizona and not too far from the Grand Canyon.

I was at the pool listening to the nba draft when devin booker was drafted!

OP
OP
Jersey Girl

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score

We actually stayed there once before we had Chloe. My cousin and her family were traveling across the country in their RV and stayed there. We met them up there and stayed in a tent.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave