Game of Thrones (HBO)

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Two things come to mind that may imply he can see the future:

1. "I'm waiting for an old friend." He knew Jaime was on his way to Winterfell.

2. He gave Arya the Valyrian Steel dagger that she used to defeat the Night King.

Number one could just be he was watching where Jaime was in the present and happened to notice him on the road leading to Winterfell.

Number two could be random luck. Not really definitive either way.
If he can see the past, he can effectively predict the future.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought he could only go back, not forward. Can you all confirm he knew what would happen?

There is a debate how clearly he can see the future. They say he can't see as clearly as the past and present. I thought I remembered an episode where Bran saw flashes earlier in the season that predicted the destruction of Baelor. I could be remembering it wrong but I remember that scene a few episodes before that one. I would have to go back and watch to be sure.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
There is a debate how clearly he can see the future. They say he can't see as clearly as the past and present. I thought I remembered an episode where Bran saw flashes earlier in the season that predicted the destruction of Baelor. I could be remembering it wrong but I remember that scene a few episodes before that one. I would have to go back and watch to be sure.
I may be misremembering, but didn't he have flashes about Hodor's death before it happened? I know there were flashbacks and what have you to explain what "Hodor" meant, but that was an odd time traveling moment.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may be misremembering, but didn't he have flashes about Hodor's death before it happened? I know there were flashbacks and what have you to explain what "Hodor" meant, but that was an odd time traveling moment.

Oh damn. I seem to remember that one too. Now I am questioning my memory now.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
didn't bran also have a vision of the dragon flying over king's landing?

yeah... just looked it up. he did:

https://winteriscoming.net/2018/02/17/speculation-what-does-cerseis-map-room-mean-for-kings-landing/

Bran... good lord that was dumb.

The writers trying to convince audience that he had the best story... when his story was so freaking dull and inconsequential that he wasn't even in the series for AN ENTIRE SEASON was ridiculous. Arya went from a little girl, to someone who could be anyone, and saved the entire world from the biggest threat humanity faced? Or Jon... you know... the rightful heir to the throne, who started life as a bastard, helped win the battle of the bastards, took back Winterfell, got killed and came back to life and then slayed the Mad Queen, the woman he loves all for the greater good? Or Sansa, who preserved through horror after horror to become stronger after each one and help win the battle of the bastards and take back Winterfell?

No... it's Bran, who broke his back, could see the past and the future... did nothing with those powers and was so boring and inconsequential that he could completely disappear from entire seasons and it wouldn't make a difference. Maybe he's more interesting in the books and Martin will make him primal when/if he ever finishes, but the SHOW didn't write to that ending and it was beyond stupid for it to end the way it did.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually enjoyed the character but thought he was underutilized. For me the worm did turn later on when he became the two eyed stare guy.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arya - she's not a lady, doesn't want to be a ruler - she is a wanderer
Sansa - only interested in the North
Jon - he is Ice, belongs to the Far North

None of them would be good rulers of the 7, er 6 Kingdoms.

Bran does break the wheel. No heirs, no lineage to pass the rule down. From that perspective, it is logical.

But, in reality, Tyrion becomes the defacto ruler, probably the most qualified of the bunch.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arya - she's not a lady, doesn't want to be a ruler - she is a wanderer
Sansa - only interested in the North
Jon - he is Ice, belongs to the Far North

None of them would be good rulers of the 7, er 6 Kingdoms.

Bran does break the wheel. No heirs, no lineage to pass the rule down. From that perspective, it is logical.

Bran isn't even BRAN. So any logic goes right out the window at that point.

But, in reality, Tyrion becomes the defacto ruler, probably the most qualified of the bunch.

Tyrion... the guy who thought Cersei would back his plan to fight walkers... then after she betrayed him, went back and thought she'd lay down her arms for her child's sake... then turned a dime on Varys because he trusted Dany and then Dany turned around and holocaust'd an entire city?! Tyron's got experience all right... AWFUL experience. They somehow made him the dumbest character of the bunch the last two seasons

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He knew they were going to crown him, so yes.

This isn’t conclusive and, as has been pointed out, being able to see ALL of the present makes it look like one sees the future because it’s easier to predict with that knowledge.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought the Varys storyline was pretty rushed. He’s killed right at the beginning of starting to question if she’s fit to rule.

They’ve really made Tyrion in to a moron. So much for “I drink and I know things.”

The Clegane bowl was pretty awesome.

I thought the Euron v Jaime sequence was a waste of time.

Not how I expected Cersei and Jaime to die.

Mad Queen prophecy is true. I’m sure the last episode will be Starks v Dany. Not sure how I feel about it yet, given the series spent so much time building her up as the “breaker of chains.” Instead, she’s turned into the tyrant she always opposed. But it is Game of Thrones, I don’t think anyone will ever be happy.
Worse about Jaime and Cersei, all they had to do was more over about 10 feet and they would have been fine:

You must be registered for see images attach

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So, the first ever episode I've seen of this series was S8 E5, and then the last.
No idea what was happening, but everyone seemed so angry.

Did I miss much?

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
or maybe Bran's just full of crap about being able to change the future, saw the one with his on the throne and said screw y'all!

I mean, it's not like he never lied before, right? Earlier in the season he said he didn't want anything... and wasn't even freaking Bran. Now he is?

And can anyone explain to me why Bran needs a Master of Whisperers... if he knows everything?!

Man... Season 8 was just a steaming pile of horse-manure.
It's obvious that Bran the Broken is a figurehead which is why he relented and took the crown.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Having read the books makes TV Bran simultaneously disappointing and then easier to accept because book Bran can be projected onto him.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Bran had clearly stated "I cannot see the future" earlier in the season...which made the writing even worse when he said, "why do you think I came all this way"
they asked him if they were going to defeat the night king...he said, "I don't know"

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing that I still have a question about is Arya. She undertook all of this training to basically become No One, a ghost. But then she just plops back to her old self but with some better dagger skills. I imagined her character being one with the shadows, morphing into other bodies, etc. HEr character arc was a pretty big disappointment to me.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing that I still have a question about is Arya. She undertook all of this training to basically become No One, a ghost. But then she just plops back to her old self but with some better dagger skills. I imagined her character being one with the shadows, morphing into other bodies, etc. HEr character arc was a pretty big disappointment to me.

She did that to the Freys, and it was awesome. I imagine that she did some of that to GET to the Night King, but wasn't shown (which was another bad call).

AND I STILL WANT TO KNOW WHAT WAS THE POINT OF THE DAMN HORSE!!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Agree. They needed to use her whole arc in the last season and they just whiffed.