2019 1st round pick is QB Kyler Murray

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kool-Aide glass half-full - Murray seems to have the right assortment of skills to win games for us.

Kool-Aide glass half-empty - (This is a bit obscure). I vaguely recall that, back in the day, we brought in Pop Ivy to coach the Cardinals. Ivy brought with him an unorthodox spread offense which turned out to be a high-reward/but even higher risk proposition. Exciting FB but didn't win many championships.

That's how I remember it. Anyone disagree? (It was a long time ago). If I'm wrong, feel free to set the record straight.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Your assertion that no one is "getting a chance" is absolutely silly. Short QBs are on rosters, are able to play in practice, and preseason. Unless "getting a chance" means starting a full season, I don't know what to say to you.

Troy Smith: Won the Heisman, was 5'11, started 8 career games. Wasn't any good.
Case Keenum: 6'1, started 54 career games. The verdict? Mediocre starter/backup tier.
Seneca Wallace: 5'11, 25 games started, not very good.
Michael Vick: 6'0, 115 starts, got hurt, tantalizing but failed player.
Johnny Manziel: 6'0, started plenty of games, not good.
Rex Grossman: 6'1, not very good.
Ty Detmer: 6'0, 25 games started, not very good.

I can keep going. These guys all got their chances. They didn't do much of worth with it. That's why Russell and Drew are outliers.
A vast majority of QB's that get a chance are 6'2"+ and you could easily do the same with those players as well. Make a gigantic lists of failed QBs 6'2" and up and make an extremely short list in comparison to those that were actually successful. Krang's point is that they don't get nearly as many opportunities to be NFL starters as taller prospectes do and thus you will only find a few success stories for shorter QBs.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
A vast majority of QB's that get a chance are 6'2"+ and you could easily do the same with those players as well. Make a gigantic lists of failed QBs 6'2" and up and make an extremely short list in comparison to those that were actually successful. Krang's point is that they don't get nearly as many opportunities to be NFL starters as taller prospectes do and thus you will only find a few success stories for shorter QBs.
Name the players.

PLEASE name me the great players that haven't been given a chance. One. Come on. I'm waiting.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Name the players.

PLEASE name me the great players that haven't been given a chance. One. Come on. I'm waiting.
You already proved this point by putting together just a small list of failed short QBs. That list shows exactly what we are talking about. Probably over 90% of the QBs in the league right now are at least 6'1" or 6'2" and that percentage is even greater the further in the past you go. I think where guys that could be talented QBs tend to lose their chance is more so in college or even highschool where they are pushed into playing other positions due to their lack of size.

Wilson not being drafted higher is also somewhat proving the point because he absolutely goes in the 1st if he were a few inches taller. Shorter QBs just simply get less chances in the NFL and that is because for the longest time a large part of the league believed that QBs had to be the prototypical 6'5" guy with a strong arm and guys have come along quite a few times and proven that to be false.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
When people keep on mentioning short QB’s, the name I keep seeing getting ignored is Jeff Garcia. He was short, small framed Qb, that had success with the 49ers, Eagles, and For a little bit the Buccaneers.

Kyler has the bigger arm. Kyler doesn’t get happy feet like Garcia did. But let’s not forget that was Garcia electric when he was with Sf, running and passing. Which I think Murray will be for the Cardinals.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
You already proved this point by putting together just a small list of failed short QBs. That list shows exactly what we are talking about. Probably over 90% of the QBs in the league right now are at least 6'1" or 6'2" and that percentage is even greater the further in the past you go. I think where guys that could be talented QBs tend to lose their chance is more so in college or even highschool where they are pushed into playing other positions due to their lack of size.

Wilson not being drafted higher is also somewhat proving the point because he absolutely goes in the 1st if he were a few inches taller. Shorter QBs just simply get less chances in the NFL and that is because for the longest time a large part of the league believed that QBs had to be the prototypical 6'5" guy with a strong arm and guys have come along quite a few times and proven that to be false.

If you think there aren’t enough programs out there begging for qualified quarterbacks of any stature, I don’t know if you’ve ever played the game.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Shotgun show: Don't expect Arizona Cardinals' Kyler Murray under center much
Arizona Cardinals center A.Q. Shipley raised some eyebrows a couple of weeks ago when he was a guest on "The Pat McAfee Show," a YouTube production starring the funny-man former Indianapolis Colts punter.

Shipley was asked what NFL fans can expect out of the Cardinals’ offense in 2019 now that it is being orchestrated by an offensive-minded former college coach in Kliff Kingsbury and a dual-threat quarterback in rookie Kyler Murray.

"All of college football is all shotgun, correct?" Shipley said. "So, 99 percent of what we’re going to be doing, what do you think it’s going to be?

"Shotgun."
https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...ls-kyler-murray-under-center-much/1222842001/

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Mike Jurecki (@mikejurecki)
5/28/19, 2:23 PM
Mayfield on playing the #AZCardinals/Murray on December 15th.

Mayfield "There will absolutely be smack talk. That’s my guy. It’ll be fun to play against him after competing against him in practice and being around him everyday. It’ll make this matchup so much more enjoyable."

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been pretty quiet over the last several weeks. It's because I am busy with a new job and moving 100 miles north during the week and then back home for the weekends. Anyway I want to say I am not a fan of the pick, but you that know me know I'm a cards fan, so lets go Kyler and welcome to the Red Sea.

I wondered what happened. Good luck with your new job.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Bob McManaman (@azbobbymac)
5/29/19, 7:05 PM
Cardinals rookie QB Kyler Murray on having his arm talents being compared to KC's Patrick Mahomes: “I mean, he obviously won MVP. I respect his game a lot. ... I think for me, it’s just working to be myself and just be the best me I can be. But no, I take it as a compliment.”

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

I think what I see in him that maybe some of the naysayers don't, is that even if Murray decides to tone down the running from scrimmage, he still can be an elite QB based on his passing ability alone.

I was a huge Mahomes fan boy when he was coming out and I do see the similarities in arm strength, touch, and ability to throw accurately from crazy angles. No one should ever fudge with his mechanics.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks it's been a whirlwind of events. Not easy living away from home either. Can't seem to find time to get on the board much. It will slow down soon and I'll be here more often.

Take it easy. Hopefully things will slow down soon. There is much Cardinals to talk about.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose