Cam Reddish
Forward from Duke
19yo, 6'8, 7'2 wingspan, 208lbs

Key facts
- took 9.0 3pt attempts per 36
- shot 77% from the line
- NBA projections have him as a future 38% 3pt shooter at the NBA level
- almost 2 steals per 36.
- showed NBA range and has good shooting mechanics.
- could grow big and strong enough to create real mismatches at the 4 spot
- ranked top 3 in his high-school class in the nation across all rankings (ESPN, 247, rivals)
- many think his ceiling is very very high - think Paul George

Showed a lot of maturity in this interview in my opinion
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I could sell myself on Reddish, but we would need to move some of our SFs in the process.

As you are aware I am a little skeptical about his shooting prowess at the NBA level, but he does have good mechanics and clearly believes in his shooting considering the amount of attempts he took. I imagine he will at least be a good 3&D guy in the NBA, but I would prefer Garland if he is still there at 6 because of his upside as a creator.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

A lot of prospects workout in Phoenix at Octagon Powerhoops among them Cam Reddish and Jarrett Culver

Keep in mind Mike Schmitz tweeted this about Reddish when he also tweeted very positively about Culver before

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
Reddish is a weird prospect he has all the Physical tools to be one of the most dominant players out of this class , his shooting form is great, and yet it was like he coasted through the season and didn't try that hard out side of a few games plus his shot wasn't falling alot for someone who was supposed to be possibly the best shooter in college last year coming out of high school

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
30 second twitter workout clips were made for guys like Reddish. There will be a GM who just can’t help himself taking him in the top-10.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Reddish is a weird prospect he has all the Physical tools to be one of the most dominant players out of this class , his shooting form is great, and yet it was like he coasted through the season and didn't try that hard out side of a few games plus his shot wasn't falling alot for someone who was supposed to be possibly the best shooter in college last year coming out of high school
Kind of reminds me of Lamar Odom. That guy had the body, skills, and talent to be a walking triple double every night. He just never seemed to have that motor or mentality to do it every night. Every once in a while he would have a dominant game that watching it would make you go WOW! Then he would drift back to normal play. Reddish will only be worth it if he develops that drive guys like Booker have.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kind of reminds me of Lamar Odom. That guy had the body, skills, and talent to be a walking triple double every night. He just never seemed to have that motor or mentality to do it every night. Every once in a while he would have a dominant game that watching it would make you go WOW! Then he would drift back to normal play. Reddish will only be worth it if he develops that drive guys like Booker have.

Some people can get high or drunk regularly and still excel, some can't. I believe Odom was in the can't group. When he got away from the group he grew up with, he balled out in Miami. I don't know what's going on with Reddish, I just hope we aren't the ones to take that gamble. But at 6, we're probably looking at a gamble regardless.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That's the cautionary tale of going to Duke. You'll play on a good team and get plenty of television exposure but you play under Coach K's system. Barrett and Williamson were the first 2 options who took most of the shots so I can see why Reddish's production wasn't on their level and some of the blame is on his play when he had opportunities when Williamson got hurt. He played PG on the loaded Westtown team with Bamba and Randolph in HS, looked like the next Jalen Rose. Duke had Jones at PG but I wonder how Reddish would have fared playing PG at Duke.

Skill set wise he's a Top 6 guy but like many have mentioned he is very streaky and may not be as disciplined or mature as you'd like.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the cautionary tale of going to Duke. You'll play on a good team and get plenty of television exposure but you play under Coach K's system. Barrett and Williamson were the first 2 options who took most of the shots so I can see why Reddish's production wasn't on their level and some of the blame is on his play when he had opportunities when Williamson got hurt. He played PG on the loaded Westtown team with Bamba and Randolph in HS, looked like the next Jalen Rose. Duke had Jones at PG but I wonder how Reddish would have fared playing PG at Duke.

Skill set wise he's a Top 6 guy but like many have mentioned he is very streaky and may not be as disciplined or mature as you'd like.

I get what you're saying but Reddish got plenty of attempts within the offense, certainly more than Williamson. Zion got a few of his attempts on offensive rebounds and still only averaged 1.2 more attempts than the 12 shots Reddish averaged per game.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

there is no cautionary tale of going to Duke

If you want to talk about a bust factory look at Kansas. Jahlil Okafor is the only bust from Duke I can re-call in a while.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

The college season is still a tiny sample size in the overall picture.

Cam Reddish shooting projections are excellent and his jumpshot is probably the best looking shot I have ever seen.

Reddish took a role player role in the offenses to play with Zion and RJ. They were the unanimous top 3 highschool players in no particular order.

I get what you're saying but Reddish got plenty of attempts within the offense, certainly more than Williamson. Zion got a few of his attempts on offensive rebounds and still only averaged 1.2 more attempts than the 12 shots Reddish averaged per game.

Zion took more shots and had the higher usage rate.

You are neglecting that Zion did not just take more raw field goal attempts but twice as many freethrows which are also additional posessions.

Not only that but more than 60% of Reddish attempts were 3 pointers and while I don't have stats at hand I am pretty sure that most of those were set up by the team and not out of isolation.

Reddish did not shoot well from the field but it is not concerning since his projections are still that good and the eye test confirms those projections. His freethrow shooting has been excellent and his 3pt volume incredible.
Trae Young also only shot 36% from 3 in college and had a LOWER 3pt rate than Reddish.

Cam Reddish projects to be an excellent 3&D player with potential to be more than that, I'd take that in this draft no worries.

Last edited:

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cam Reddish shooting projections are excellent and his jumpshot is probably the best looking shot I have ever seen.

Its a good looking shot. More of a set shooter? He brings the ball down too low, i'm not sure if its because of the workout but from catch-to-shot it might be slow for nba standards. There's a little bit of a pause once he starts to elevate and release the ball but it should be ok, its not completely fluid. His release, arms in, follow through and arch are all really good and consistent though.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

If you want to talk about a bust factory look at Kansas. Jahlil Okafor is the only bust from Duke I can re-call in a while.
Frank Jackson, Harry Giles & Trevon Duval say hello. Time will tell on Kennard, Allen and Trent Jr. Yeah, they weren't lotto picks except Kennard but all were projected lottery picks before they stepped foot on campus and it didn't work out. Reddish played with the ball in his hands in HS, he was the third option at Duke playing on the wing. Had he gone to a school where he could have utilized his skills from HS maybe he would be a Top 3 pick.

I agree Kansas players don't usually find success in NBA but that's the case for other big time programs. Kentucky is probably the most productive one and done factory but Duke is starting to out recruit Kentucky for these one and dones because of their affiliation to Nike and their camps.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Can't say it's because they went to Duke I guess but Jabari Parker not nearly as good as projected. Austin Rivers #1 rated in his class, backup in the NBA, Ryan Kelly highly rated to Ryan who? Deryck Thornton going on his 3rd school now from top rated PG in his class to moving up a year to help out Duke, to bust. Chase Jeter looked like a bust too although he was pretty good at Arizona last year. Bolden a bust so far, Giles it's the knees I won't blame Duke, Frank Jackson is in the NBA but again not nearly as good as people thought he was going to be. Bagley was great but Carter, Duval and Trent Jr were all underwhelming in college.

I forget which class but Joey Baker is another guy who moved up a class to help Coach K and then barely played, I think he's still there.

But just because a kid is a 4 or 5 star in HS doesn't mean he'll be a good NBA player.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Its a good looking shot. More of a set shooter? He brings the ball down too low, i'm not sure if its because of the workout but from catch-to-shot it might be slow for nba standards. There's a little bit of a pause once he starts to elevate and release the ball but it should be ok, its not completely fluid. His release, arms in, follow through and arch are all really good and consistent though.
I don't know where that became a negative for shooters. Ray Allen dipped the ball to about his knees just about every catch and shoot attempt that he had. A lot of other players also dip the ball down pretty low on catch and shoot attempts. That move gives you more rhythm and power on your shot.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know where that became a negative for shooters. Ray Allen dipped the ball to about his knees just about every catch and shoot attempt that he had. A lot of other players also dip the ball down pretty low on catch and shoot attempts. That move gives you more rhythm and power on your shot.

It's a quick release thing but yeah if you can shoot it seems to be ok. Allen a HOF guy with it.

I love Reddish, you wish he was more aggressive but playing with 2 alph guys like Zion and RJ probably not a shock he wasn't. I think he will probably wind up a pretty good NBA player but there's always a risk he won't because he's a bit too laid back.

I prefer him to Culver right now that's for sure

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
I agree with that video , he's a high boom or bust pick just like Bol Bol, could be Paul George or could be Rodney Hill, I find it interesting that alot of mock drafts have Atlanta gambling on both those two

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
It's a quick release thing but yeah if you can shoot it seems to be ok. Allen a HOF guy with it.

I love Reddish, you wish he was more aggressive but playing with 2 alph guys like Zion and RJ probably not a shock he wasn't. I think he will probably wind up a pretty good NBA player but there's always a risk he won't because he's a bit too laid back.

I prefer him to Culver right now that's for sure
I have a feeling that he will end up being a sleeper in this draft. I know Bookers stats were a lot better at Kentucky, but I find it to be a somwhat similar situation where a player is capable of more, but wasn't able to show what he can do because he was the 3rd option on the team.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a feeling that he will end up being a sleeper in this draft. I know Bookers stats were a lot better at Kentucky, but I find it to be a somwhat similar situation where a player is capable of more, but wasn't able to show what he can do because he was the 3rd option on the team.

I vividly remember saying Booker was the most overrated kid in that UK superteam lineup. Boy was I wrong.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Can't say it's because they went to Duke I guess but Jabari Parker not nearly as good as projected. Austin Rivers #1 rated in his class, backup in the NBA, Ryan Kelly highly rated to Ryan who? Deryck Thornton going on his 3rd school now from top rated PG in his class to moving up a year to help out Duke, to bust. Chase Jeter looked like a bust too although he was pretty good at Arizona last year. Bolden a bust so far, Giles it's the knees I won't blame Duke, Frank Jackson is in the NBA but again not nearly as good as people thought he was going to be. Bagley was great but Carter, Duval and Trent Jr were all underwhelming in college.

I forget which class but Joey Baker is another guy who moved up a class to help Coach K and then barely played, I think he's still there.

But just because a kid is a 4 or 5 star in HS doesn't mean he'll be a good NBA player.

I mean Parker had 2 ACL injuries.

Austin Rivers was highly rated in highschool but he was drafted at the end of the lottery. His career probably has been average for his draft position, definitely not a bust.

Last edited:

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
I vividly remember saying Booker was the most overrated kid in that UK superteam lineup. Boy was I wrong.
I actually liked Booker when we drafted him so I got that right, my worst one so far was proclaiming that Josh Jackson was going to be the best player in that draft

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Frank Jackson, Harry Giles & Trevon Duval say hello. Time will tell on Kennard, Allen and Trent Jr. Yeah, they weren't lotto picks except Kennard but all were projected lottery picks before they stepped foot on campus and it didn't work out. Reddish played with the ball in his hands in HS, he was the third option at Duke playing on the wing. Had he gone to a school where he could have utilized his skills from HS maybe he would be a Top 3 pick.

I agree Kansas players don't usually find success in NBA but that's the case for other big time programs. Kentucky is probably the most productive one and done factory but Duke is starting to out recruit Kentucky for these one and dones because of their affiliation to Nike and their camps.

Trevon Duval was undrafted - how is that a bust?
Harry Giles was the 20th pick and held back by his knee - not a bust
Frank Jackson also a 2nd round pick

Compare that to Kansas

Andrew Wiggins
Josh Jackson
Brandon Rush
Xavier Henry
Ben McLemore
Thomas robinson
Cole Aldrich
Julian Wrigth

all lottery picks in the last 12 years - all busts.
Morris bros, Oubre and Embiid have been their only successes.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I would be OK with Reddish because I think he has skills that will translate to the NBA. I think he'll at least be a good rotation player.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave