Kyler Murray in 5 Years

Where will Kyler Rank in 5 Years?

• Total voters

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
My desires are always playoffs. But I’m realistic to recognize that with football that’s dependent upon more than one player.
I'm with ya, but I want to win it all, and the narrative is that Kyler is supposed to turn us into an elite team. As it stands right now, a team like Tampa Bay can't be too happy with their investment in Jameis Winston, y'know? Maybe Arians changes that, but that pick has functionally been a bust for them.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Ask and ye shall receive.

Average starter. Very similar to Marcus Mariota.

At that point, I think there's a solid chance he decides not to sign with another team, and moves on to baseball.

Mariota throws like a girl. Bad comparison. BTW, he's also much, much, much faster that MM.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm with ya, but I want to win it all, and the narrative is that Kyler is supposed to turn us into an elite team. As it stands right now, a team like Tampa Bay can't be too happy with their investment in Jameis Winston, y'know? Maybe Arians changes that, but that pick has functionally been a bust for them.

Jameis Winston is a douchebag. Yet another poor comparison. What other comparisons can we make? How about comparisons to Brees & Mahomes? Heart of a lion. No quit in Murray. Talent & work ethic off the charts.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think he'll be a top 5 fantasy QB over the next 5 years.

How many accolades (all-pro, pro bowl) he gets will depend on how many games the Cardinals win, which I have no idea about.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He'll be a pure stud & be ONE OF THE MOST exciting player in the NFL for years to come. It's truly a shame that we have such negative Nancy's on this board. He will serve up crow for so many of you that doubt him.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ask and ye shall receive.

Average starter. Very similar to Marcus Mariota.

At that point, I think there's a solid chance he decides not to sign with another team, and moves on to baseball.
Hopefully, he has a Kirk Cousins/Matt Stafford career cause I know you’ll be proud of that.

You must be registered for see images attach

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
True. Also shows even the best non-5’10 prospects are a gamble.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Mariota throws like a girl. Bad comparison. BTW, he's also much, much, much faster that MM.
Jameis Winston is a douchebag. Yet another poor comparison. What other comparisons can we make? How about comparisons to Brees & Mahomes? Heart of a lion. No quit in Murray. Talent & work ethic off the charts.
I'm not comparing the players as actual people, I'm comparing what I think will ultimately be their career comp. Guys who were top picks and will find their teams struggling to decide what's next. Re-sign them, or move another direction?

Jameis and Mariota aren't bad players, but they aren't transcendent game-changers either. For whatever reason you want to pin on them.

Hopefully, he has a Kirk Cousins/Matt Stafford career cause I know you’ll be proud of that.

Kirk Cousins was a late draft pick who panned out, he wasn't #1 overall. He's a decent starting QB, and was the best option available to us at the time last year, when we had no idea Rosen was going to freefall. I stand by him being pretty good. I would have been wrong about that contract. Such is life.

I'll stand by Stafford being a good QB mired in an inept franchise that refuses to build the right team for him.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dude's either going to be a total stud or complete dud. I'll choose to be optimistic for no other reason than why the hell not at this point.

STUD! (but really have no clue).

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
He'll be a pure stud & be ONE OF THE MOST exciting player in the NFL for years to come. It's truly a shame that we have such negative Nancy's on this board. He will serve up crow for so many of you that doubt him.
You're going to be served up a HUGE helping of crow when he comes out and struggles. And he's a rookie QB. It's gonna happen man, get ready.

I'm with you, but there were a lot more teams who would have taken both of them than there were those who were going to take Kyler.

Let me restate for the record - I don't think Kyler's going to be dogcrap at QB, I don't think Rosen was going to be a top-ten QB. I think both are going to end up being middling QBs. An Andy Dalton and Marcus Mariota.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Uh, sure? Why would I disagree with that? But if we were looking to build a team around an average QB, why not just keep Rosen?

The point of drafting Murray was for a transcendent QB whose talent would mask the inadequacies of the rest of the team, and raise us to another level.

I guess everything overall will be a success if Kyler gets benched for Brett Hundley for the playoff run and then wins the Super Bowl with Jordan Hicks as the MVP, but that's not the expectation.
I agree. I wasn't on the Murray train but he's here now and we have to hope he succeeds. Anyone that wants him to fail has issues.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There's reasons for that. Call it Cardinal Fan PTSD. We've been led down the primrose path so often only to see our seasons crash and burn that some of us come to expect it. Especially when it comes to QB's. We took Kelly Stouffer early in the 1st round only to see him hold out and sign with someone else(and fail). We take Leinart early in the first round only to see him fail. Now we take a QB #1 and history is not on our side. Trends do break after a while. Hopefully this is one of those times.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Both Mariota and Winston were considered huge gambles when they came out. Mariota was playing in a gimmick offense in a league that doesn't play defense; Winston loved throwing the ball to the other team.

Andrew Luck was the last consensus top prospect at QB in the draft. Eli Manning was probably the last one before that.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not comparing the players as actual people, I'm comparing what I think will ultimately be their career comp. Guys who were top picks and will find their teams struggling to decide what's next. Re-sign them, or move another direction?

Jameis and Mariota aren't bad players, but they aren't transcendent game-changers either. For whatever reason you want to pin on them.

Kirk Cousins was a late draft pick who panned out, he wasn't #1 overall. He's a decent starting QB, and was the best option available to us at the time last year, when we had no idea Rosen was going to freefall. I stand by him being pretty good. I would have been wrong about that contract. Such is life.

man... you talk about others being ready to eat crow, but practice at least A LITTLE what you preach. Cousins is a mediocre at best stat padder who's never led his teams to even ONE playoff win. Standing by him "pretty good" is ridiculous contract or not considering he's proven one of the most overrated mediocre QB ever. Meanwhile, you seem to relish our own QBs downfall which is really sad... pretty much because you're loathe to admit you're wrong at this point, much like you were/are about Cousins. It comes through in almost every single post about the subject.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're going to be served up a HUGE helping of crow when he comes out and struggles. And he's a rookie QB. It's gonna happen man, get ready.

there's the relish, especially considering PA never said anything about him being immediately amazing. But you found a way to preemptively serve crow anyway.

get over it, dude.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
there's the relish, especially considering PA never said anything about him being immediately amazing. But you found a way to preemptively serve crow anyway.

get over it, dude.

I'd be more surprised if he comes out and struggles.

Dak Prescott - 68% completions, 5 TDs (2 rushing), 0 INTs, 3-1 in first 4 games
Deshaun Watson - 63% completions, 13 TDs (2 rushing), 3 INTs, 2-2 in first 4 games

Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen struggled a little bit more, but it shouldn't be surprising to see these dual-threat guys come out and play well right away. They're able to wait around for perfect throws because they're moving in the pocket or taking off.

Pocket passers tend to start slower because they have to read the defense and make the throw in rhythm, which can take some time to develop at the speed of the pro game.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Would you call the Colts or Texans elite?

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
you forgot

" Retired due to massive injury"

Playing baseball is a very serious possibility. Goes hand in hand with football injuries. I know that genius Keim has a baseball-related monetary clause in the contract, but things happen.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
man... you talk about others being ready to eat crow, but practice at least A LITTLE what you preach. Cousins is a mediocre at best stat padder who's never led his teams to even ONE playoff win. Standing by him "pretty good" is ridiculous contract or not considering he's proven one of the most overrated mediocre QB ever. Meanwhile, you seem to relish our own QBs downfall which is really sad... pretty much because you're loathe to admit you're wrong at this point, much like you were/are about Cousins. It comes through in almost every single post about the subject.

get over it, dude.
Dude, Cousins is one season into a three year deal. I straight up said I was wrong. What should I do, post a thread on a Cardinals forum to apologize for him? I can admit he hasn't done what he should have done for that team, and he definitely would have failed here. Good enough for crow eating?

At the end of the day, PA says Kyler's going to be a "pure stud," and "one of the most exciting players in the NFL for years to come." When that's the #1 overall pick, it better come fast and furious. We can ask @PACardsFan himself - PA, do you think Kyler's gonna need some time, or is he going to prove himself right off the bat?

Would you call the Colts or Texans elite?
The Colts went from last in the league to a playoff team on the back of Andrew Luck. It was scary what happened to him, but Luck's return this year once again changed that franchise. Right now, that team has as good of a shot as any on account of how great of a QB Luck is.

The Texans? I don't know why you bring them up. They drafted a guy with a couple of question marks but a defined pedigree in Watson, at #12. I was clamoring for Watson and Mahomes all offseason. But they took that risk later in the draft, and actually lost a lot for it. Are they elite? No. But have I claimed it? No.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Dude, Cousins is one season into a three year deal. I straight up said I was wrong. What should I do, post a thread on a Cardinals forum to apologize for him? I can admit he hasn't done what he should have done for that team, and he definitely would have failed here. Good enough for crow eating?

At the end of the day, PA says Kyler's going to be a "pure stud," and "one of the most exciting players in the NFL for years to come." When that's the #1 overall pick, it better come fast and furious. We can ask @PACardsFan himself - PA, do you think Kyler's gonna need some time, or is he going to prove himself right off the bat?

The Colts went from last in the league to a playoff team on the back of Andrew Luck. It was scary what happened to him, but Luck's return this year once again changed that franchise. Right now, that team has as good of a shot as any on account of how great of a QB Luck is.

The Texans? I don't know why you bring them up. They drafted a guy with a couple of question marks but a defined pedigree in Watson, at #12. I was clamoring for Watson and Mahomes all offseason. But they took that risk later in the draft, and actually lost a lot for it. Are they elite? No. But have I claimed it? No.

:)

Cardinal

All Star
Reaction score
I don’t understand the boom or bust talk. Why isn’t Murray a safe bet to at least be average? Just because he’s 5’10”?

Jamarcus Russell is 6’6” and is considered one of biggest busts in the history of the league.

With Murray’s abilities, throwing, rushing, and extending plays with his legs, I see him as a pretty safe prospect with huge upside.

Mike Vick wasn’t nearly as good of a passer as Murray coming out, but he was an average/above average QB most of his career. Why can’t Murray’s floor at least be Mike Vick?

*Interesting note about Vick, before his junior season at VT, he was drafted in the 30th round by the Rockies despite not playing baseball since 8th grade.

Last edited: