2019 5th round pick is Deionte Thompson S

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Has a kind of Rashad Johnson type of feel to it. Not the same player, mind you, but a guy who may not wow you but makes solid plays and you can count on him. You can start a guy like him and be fine.
Can he play with only 9 1/2 fingers, though?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
scott bordow
@sbordow

·
43m

Cards draft S Deionte Thompson of Alabama at No. 139.
@dpbrugler
eval: Thompson has the athletic range and ball skills desired in a center field safety, but he must develop a more disciplined approach with his eyes and tackling technique to lock down a starting free safety role

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It may no longer be relevant but it's information.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We need a deep FS that's a long term stud. Thompson was a 2nd round talent dropped to the 5th round. That's value.
And we do have a need. Who's our star safety?? Ummm......

Budda is going to do what he does best - cover the slot man like his own shadow. Excellent pick, and with Byron Murphy, our secondary is going to be a lot more talented in the years to come.

Reactions: PJ1

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If he's a 2nd round talent, in the 5th even if his "knee condition" puts him at 50-50 staying healthy you have to take him, right? Worth the risk

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We need a deep FS that's a long term stud. Thompson was a 2nd round talent dropped to the 5th round. That's value.
And we do have a need. Who's our star safety?? Ummm......

Budda is going to do what he does best - cover the slot man like his own shadow. Excellent pick, and with Byron Murphy, our secondary is going to be a lot more talented in the years to come.

They've already indicated that Budda will play a traditional FS role. It's more likely that Murphy will cover the slot in Nickle and they'll add Thompson in Dime.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If he's a 2nd round talent, in the 5th even if his "knee condition" puts him at 50-50 staying healthy you have to take him, right? Worth the risk

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

He says his knee condition is news to him. He had meniscus surgery a few years back and maybe that's where the speculation came from.

Last edited:

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Cardinals rookie safety Deionte Thompson ready for the heat
If Deionte Thompson is anything, he's consistent. He's lived in consistently hot places, and Arizona is simply the next chapter.

"I gotta see what type of heat this is, because the heat in Texas is hot, the heat in Alabama is hot. So I just keep going to all the hot places," he said. "I'm just glad I didn't go nowhere cold. I hate the cold. Glad I didn't go nowhere cold, so thank you, God. Thank you."

Thompson, a fifth-round draft pick out of Alabama, is jovial and candid, but ready to make an impact on defense. At Alabama, he played under legendary coach Nick Saban, who certainly left an impression as he pushed Thompson in ways that would prepare him for the next level.

"Well I can tell you, he helped me one way by ripping my ass everyday," Thompson said.
https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...afety-deionte-thompson-ready-heat/1195222001/

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
Ironically it hasn't been hot yet this year other than maybe two 100 degree days. Record number of days with low temperatures this year. :)

And of course, one of those 100 degree days happened while I was there last month.

A small preview of what to expect when we eventually move there.