per ESPN: Chiefs' Mathieu victim of $5M extortion plot

Cardsmasochist

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Chiefs' Mathieu victim of $5M extortion plot

Kansas City Chiefs safety Tyrann Mathieu was the victim of a $5 million extortion attempt by a family member, according to federal court documents.

Geourvon Keinell Sears, 21, is accused of threatening to reveal personal information about Mathieu. According to the documents from the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana, Sears allegedly ordered Mathieu in April to put $1.5 million in his bank account within a week before upping the demand to $5 million. Sears allegedly said he would contact TMZ if he did not receive the money.

Sears, who is described as a family member and close associate of Mathieu's, allegedly sent a message to Mathieu's friends that said, "I want 1.5 million by Friday or I am going to kill all you all." He also told Mathieu's agent that he planned to make a sexual misconduct allegation against him.

Mathieu is not directly identified in the court documents, but his lawyer, Denise White of EAG Sports, told KMBC 9 in Kansas City that references to "TM" in the filing are to the Chiefs safety.

White added that Mathieu is dealing with a "private and personal family issue."

Sears has been released on $25,000 bond, with the next court date set for June 21. His charge carries a maximum sentence of 20 years and a $5,000 fine.

Mathieu played for the Houston Texans in 2018 after five seasons with the Arizona Cardinals. He signed a three-year deal with the Chiefs in March.

The Chiefs and the NFL have not commented on the case.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So sad when you can't trust your own relatives wonder what there next family event will be like

Man i miss tm in az bu bet he is going to enjoy playing on the chiefs

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Nobody looks good in this one. Family member looks like crap for dealing this low and Mathieu looks like crap for having something the family member can extort... and one can probably gather the family and friends might not be the greatest people to hang around with and sometimes you're a reflection of your inner circle, which I hope Mathieu is beyond right now but his recent activity coming out of his mouth could suggest otherwise

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nobody looks good in this one. Family member looks like crap for dealing this low and Mathieu looks like crap for having something the family member can extort... and one can probably gather the family and friends might not be the greatest people to hang around with and sometimes you're a reflection of your inner circle, which I hope Mathieu is beyond right now but his recent activity coming out of his mouth could suggest otherwise

So TM looks bad? Come on now. Your really reaching. You have no idea what his issue is.

This actually happens all the time with pro athletes from what I hear.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
I thought maybe he turned on his computer and it said "Your windows 10 is corrupted call this 800 number and for a small fee we'll restore it"

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So TM looks bad? Come on now. Your really reaching. You have no idea what his issue is.

This actually happens all the time with pro athletes from what I hear.

He looks bad for being an often-injured mouthy little punk regardless of this recent situation.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s just dumb. Come on now.

Loved him when he was here (overlooking his fragility), but as soon as he left he has done nothing but talk bad about the only team that was willing to give him a shot and set up a support system around him so he didn't go right back to pot, etc. We did everything possible to help him succeed here and even offered him a decent amount to stay. He took less to leave and tried to make it seem like we were the bad guys in the situation. He's an immature punk that likes to get into twitter battles with random people.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose