Obtainable Point Guards this off-season

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Seriously? So management is going to be dumb enough to stick with the proven disaster that is Point Book?

I can't even imagine the ridicule an NFL team would get if it went without a legitimate NFL QB, if an MLB team went without a legitimate MLB pitcher, or if an NHL team wentvwithout a legitimate NHL goalie for 3 years running.

No wonder the Suns have been the worst team in the NBA over the past decade...

Come on it’s not remotely the same thing.

There are very few true point guards anymore.

If we can get a guy who is close to books level at ball handling and distribution we will be fine.

With that said other than maybe Brogdon I have no idea who that would be.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My feeling is that, whatever it takes financially, the Suns need to fill each position
with qualified players to make the rest of the team better, particularly at PG and PF.

It has nothing to do with finances. It is all about getting a free agent to choose the suns.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with finances. It is all about getting a free agent to choose the suns.
Well, hopefully Jones can use his connections as a recent player, and the choice by Monty to join the Suns, will accomplish that.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So I am actually pretty depressed about the situation the suns are in.

Jrue is a pipe dream with the way the lottery went.

Realistically I only see one way the suns get a good outcome at pg and it’s a long shot.

Kyrie chooses the nets and they let Russell go.

Or kyrie chooses the suns, but I am not even sure I want him.

Truthfully I am expecting another crap pg, like Cory Joseph or McConnell.

I feel like best case for the suns is actually getting randle in fa. But I don’t think we will be his first choice.

As soon as the suns got the 6th pick I think they were screwed.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Come on it’s not remotely the same thing.

There are very few true point guards anymore.

If we can get a guy who is close to books level at ball handling and distribution we will be fine.

With that said other than maybe Brogdon I have no idea who that would be.

Brogdon is a better ball handler and distributor than Booker, and he is about the furthest away from a true point guard I would be willing to go to pair with Booker.

People need to stop expecting Booker to be another Harden or Curry and realize that Booker is and always has been another Klay Thompson.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People? You mean there are more persons then me that like point Booker?

I don't have a problem using Booker the way we do but he needs some quality help in the backcourt. I'd rather see us find a good all around point guard but I don't see one on the horizon so a good shooting guard or combo guard will have to do for now.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Realistically I only see one way the suns get a good outcome at pg and it’s a long shot.

I feel like best case for the suns is actually getting randle in fa. But I don’t think we will be his first choice.

He will not bring us a championship, but we will have more wins and definitely be more exciting.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People need to stop expecting Booker to be another Harden or Curry and realize that Booker is and always has been another Klay Thompson.

He's not Harden but he sure as hell isn't Klay Thompson, for good or bad. He's a more versatile offensive player than Klay and a far less capable defender than him. And I don't think there's a throng of posters here expecting Booker to be another Harden or Curry. Just like there aren't a lot of us here that would suggest Harden and Curry are the same player.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He's not Harden but he sure as hell isn't Klay Thompson, for good or bad. He's a more versatile offensive player than Klay and a far less capable defender than him. And I don't think there's a throng of posters here expecting Booker to be another Harden or Curry. Just like there aren't a lot of us here that would suggest Harden and Curry are the same player.

I just mentioned both Harden and Curry because I have seen posters on this board project Booker to be one or the other.

And I know Klay Thompson isn't a perfect comparison, but he is the closest comparison to Booker I know among the current big name players.

Overall, the player to whom I liken Booker's game is Reggie Miller, and I think it would have been insane to play Reggie Miller at the point.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I just mentioned both Harden and Curry because I have seen posters on this board project Booker to be one or the other.

And I know Klay Thompson isn't a perfect comparison, but he is the closest comparison to Booker I know among the current big name players.

Overall, the player to whom I liken Booker's game is Reggie Miller, and I think it would have been insane to play Reggie Miller at the point.
I can see Reggie. I know this is more of a different comparison because their skills are different. But Booker has the relentless scoring mentality that Allen Iverson or Bernard King had. He does shoot like Klay. He drives more than Klay to the hole. He has that Harden ability to get guys to foul. Booker just has that will to score. If he has to put up 50, no sweat. A lot of guys have an average they score, and they just seem to quit once they reach that number in a game. Booker is willing to blow right by that if he is having a hot shooting night, or if an opposing player, team, or fans have ticked him off!

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I was just thinking about this. But Russell's recent run-in with drugs in the airport gives me hope that there is a chance he might be available and confidence--THAT HE IS STILL AN IDIOT. He is an improving basketball player but seems to have no common sense or reason.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I was just thinking about this. But Russell's recent run-in with drugs in the airport gives me confidence that there is a chance he might be available and--THAT HE IS STILL AN IDIOT. He is an improving basketball player but seems to have no common sense or reason.
Let's assume we get him. I have no problems with him as a player. Second assumption, we still have Josh Jackson. Can you imagine the scenarios with those two on your team? :)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Reggie is in the HOF but I think Booker is already the equal of Miller if not his better and think on this - Devin right now is roughly the same age Miller was when Reggie entered the NBA.

I think you greatly undersell Booker and his skills/potential. And you judge him as a point guard when he's had to play the lead guard without even a pretend shooting guard next to him, no power forward and a center that has no idea how to play his position. The only reason I want him to play next to a good PG or combo guard is because he's even better as a shooting guard, not because he can't become a stellar point guard.

I should add that in saying Booker is his equal or his better that I am comparing him and Miller based solely on the league at the time each of them played. I suspect Reggie would be a much better player if he were in today's NBA.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Klay is a 3&D guy and Reggie didn’t put the ball on the floor much. Booker is more like Joe Johnson with star qualities.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Klay is a 3&D guy and Reggie didn’t put the ball on the floor much. Booker is more like Joe Johnson with star qualities.

Actually, while Reggie was renowned for his outside shooting, he was also quite the slasher and quite adept at drawing fouls. Where Reggie lacked is precisely where Booker lacks. Reggie was never a natural distributor or facilitator. He was better playing off of the ball, or with the ball only in isolation plays, as I firmly believe Booker would be.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just do not think Conley is worth what people are projecting we would give up in trade. He is definitely not worth Warren, Johnson, and a first. His contract is way too high. Let me put it this way, if we paid Conley that money outright in free agency, we would likely be complaining, so we want to give the money AND the assets? Conley's game is in decline too. He has a history of injury problems. I just think this would be a mistake. Conley would be OK here, but not giving up that much.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Actually, while Reggie was renowned for his outside shooting, he was also quite the slasher and quite adept at drawing fouls. Where Reggie lacked is precisely where Booker lacks. Reggie was never a natural distributor or facilitator. He was better playing off of the ball, or with the ball only in isolation plays, as I firmly believe Booker would be.

I remember him making a living of the Davis boys setting him screens. I never really remembered him being the primarily ball-handler but his efficiency was off the charts especially for that era. I was never a fan of his and always rooted for the Bulls in their playoff matchups.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I just do not think Conley is worth what people are projecting we would give up in trade. He is definitely not worth Warren, Johnson, and a first. His contract is way too high. Let me put it this way, if we paid Conley that money outright in free agency, we would likely be complaining, so we want to give the money AND the assets? Conley's game is in decline too. He has a history of injury problems. I just think this would be a mistake. Conley would be OK here, but not giving up that much.
Gambo saying Suns will NOT trade for Conley. Gambo kept emphasizing Conley is NOT an option!

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gambo saying Suns will NOT trade for Conley. Gambo kept emphasizing Conley is NOT an option!
I would be all in for Jrue and Brogdon as the back secondary choice.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I would be all in for Jrue and Brogdon as the back secondary choice.
After watching Brogdon, I could see him fitting in with our guys. Maybe he's not as accomplished as Jrue, but he would be better than anyone we have now.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Gambo: Suns not interested in trading for Mike Conley
Add Conley alongside Jrue Holiday as names who won’t be the Suns’ starting point guard next season.

By Evan Sidery May 21, 2019, 10:00am MST

I didn't know the Suns crossed Jrue off the list already. So now we know TWO names NOT on the list. We will have to debate accordingly!

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
If Conley is truly no longer an option, or was never even considered, then add his name alongside Jrue Holiday for names who won’t be the Suns’ starting point guard next season. And eliminating those two win-now options makes the trade market even thinner, so free agency might be the Suns’ preferred choice where it’s headlined by Kyrie Irving, Kemba Walker, D’Angelo Russell, and Malcolm Brogdon.

Time to keep up with the ever-changing Suns point guard big board, now sans Holiday and Conley:

Free Agency - Irving, Walker, Russell, Brogdon

Trade - Lonzo Ball and Kyle Lowry

Draft - Darius Garland and Coby White

Who will end up being the Suns’ point guard? Well, we now know for sure it won’t be the last remaining piece to Memphis’ Grit ‘n Grind era. - Brightside, Evan Sidery