The 2018-2019 Around the NBA thread

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
“Powerhouse” is strong. You’d think Dave Griffin was Jerry West the way he gets talked about.

I didn't use the term “Powerhouse” but I think Trajan Langdon is a very good hire.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm having trouble getting the Magic Johnson interviews to play.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Install twitter on your computer.

I even went to the ESPN website and used a different browser (Windows Explorer) and parts of Magic's interview didn't play. Have to keep working on it.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Wow. Magic does not have a filter, does he. Even if these things are true, and even if he is no longer associated with the organization, you just do not air this kind of dirty laundry in public. I am sure Ryan McDonough could say a lot about Sarver, but he doesn't.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. Magic does not have a filter, does he. Even if these things are true, and even if he is no longer associated with the organization, you just do not air this kind of dirty laundry in public. I am sure Ryan McDonough could say a lot about Sarver, but he doesn't.

Well, it's not like it's new news. Stephen A, probably amongst others, reported (as opposed to speculated) that it was the reason Magic quit and that was the morning after his announcement.

There are a lot of things to like and dislike about Magic but I've always appreciated the fact that, like Barkley, he usually tells it the way he sees it. Keeping quiet probably would have been the better choice but confirming a story that's out there might give him a little closure after feeling that he'd been betrayed by an organization that he'd given so much to.

And I don't know about you but a no holds barred interview with Amin and McD on Sarver would be must see TV (or must listen radio).

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Well, it's not like it's new news. Stephen A, probably amongst others, reported (as opposed to speculated) that it was the reason Magic quit and that was the morning after his announcement.

There are a lot of things to like and dislike about Magic but I've always appreciated the fact that, like Barkley, he usually tells it the way he sees it. Keeping quiet probably would have been the better choice but confirming a story that's out there might give him a little closure after feeling that he'd been betrayed by an organization that he'd given so much to.

And I don't know about you but a no holds barred interview with Amin and McD on Sarver would be must see TV (or must listen radio).
Sure, but it hasn't happened. That's the point. Shoulda, woulda, coulda, doesn't mean you did.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure, but it hasn't happened. That's the point. Shoulda, woulda, coulda, doesn't mean you did.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. What didn't happen? The Magic interview? The SAS report? Ryan's tell all interview? Pelinka backstabbing Magic?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you're talking about. What didn't happen? The Magic interview? The SAS report? Ryan's tell all interview? Pelinka backstabbing Magic?
You're minimizing it by saying it's something that people connected to Sarver COULD have done. So no big deal.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He actually does that’s why this is such big news magic his whole career has played it safe in the media

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're minimizing it by saying it's something that people connected to Sarver COULD have done. So no big deal.

I really wasn't trying to make a point about Sarver at all. It was a minor part of my post but I was just thinking about how great it would be if Ryan did an interview with Amin because I still don't believe he was as hands on as he's being made out to be and that might come out clear if that interview took place. And if Ryan ripped him to shreds I'd also know I was wrong about Robert's level of involvement.

From your responses I'm guessing you thought I was using the possibility of Ryan taking on Sarver in the media to justify Magic doing what he did but that connection never crossed my mind. And now of course, someone is going to read this post and accuse of me denying that Sarver has ever meddled.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I really wasn't trying to make a point about Sarver at all. It was a minor part of my post but I was just thinking about how great it would be if Ryan did an interview with Amin because I still don't believe he was as hands on as he's being made out to be and that might come out clear if that interview took place. And if Ryan ripped him to shreds I'd also know I was wrong about Robert's level of involvement.

From your responses I'm guessing you thought I was using the possibility of Ryan taking on Sarver in the media to justify Magic doing what he did but that connection never crossed my mind. And now of course, someone is going to read this post and accuse of me denying that Sarver has ever meddled.
Here's a question for you: You say it would be great if Ryan did an interview with Amin, do you WANT McD or Amin to publicly attack and/or humiliate Sarver? I don't like the guy either, but I don't think a disgruntled employee is the best source of factual information. And Amin, at least, is as disgruntled an employee you can find. And McD--sure, Sarver probably wasn't great to work for -- by Ryan didn't do himself any favors by making terrible decisions on his own.

Besides, we already know how dysfunctional the front office is--do we really want to see more of it on a national stage? I know some people here wouldn't mind it, but I never pegged you as one of them.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a question for you: You say it would be great if Ryan did an interview with Amin, do you WANT McD or Amin to publicly attack and/or humiliate Sarver? I don't like the guy either, but I don't think a disgruntled employee is the best source of factual information. And Amin, at least, is as disgruntled an employee you can find. And McD--sure, Sarver probably wasn't great to work for -- by Ryan didn't do himself any favors by making terrible decisions on his own.

Besides, we already know how dysfunctional the front office is--do we really want to see more of it on a national stage? I know some people here wouldn't mind it, but I never pegged you as one of them.

I think I already answered your question. I'm tired of Amin taking shots at Sarver and the Suns without consequence. I don't believe much of what he says, I'm sure there's some truth to his stories but I think there is a lot of bias and spin too. From what little I've seen of Ryan since his termination, I think he sort of likes Sarver despite the fact he's out of work and I would love to hear him as a counterpoint to Amin. And if I'm wrong and that isn't the case, if Sarver is still calling ALL the shots, I'd like to know that too even if it makes us look foolish on the national stage.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think I already answered your question. I'm tired of Amin taking shots at Sarver and the Suns without consequence. I don't believe much of what he says, I'm sure there's some truth to his stories but I think there is a lot of bias and spin too. From what little I've seen of Ryan since his termination, I think he sort of likes Sarver despite the fact he's out of work and I would love to hear him as a counterpoint to Amin. And if I'm wrong and that isn't the case, if Sarver is still calling ALL the shots, I'd like to know that too even if it makes us look foolish on the national stage.
Got it. I didn't realize you were thinking of Ryan more as a counterpoint--I took it originally as you would have liked to see the two of them just bag on the Suns for an entire interview.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Sarver has appeared to take a step back from micro-managing and making himself
the face of the basketball team. Mark Cuban is the only one -- the only one -- who
could pull that off. And he's mentioned that he is thinking or running for President.
Talk about ego!

So Sarver is less worse. Less worse still does not qualify as a good leader.
Especially naming the novice Jones as GM.

If an insider's expose of Sarver becomes public knowledge, and the embarrassment
to Sarver forces him and his cronies to sell the team, that would be a benefit to
the Suns in the long run. Unless his successor moves the team, as Sarver himself
threatened to do.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose