• Rui Hachimura

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Other

Votes: 7 12.1%

• Total voters

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Culver is 6'5", 195 pounds, which is tiny for a small forward. Booker is bigger at 6'6", 210 pounds. Heck, Troy Daniels, while an inch shorter at 6'4", outweighs Culver at 200 pounds. Tyler Johnson is 6'4" 190 pounds. I see Culver as a slightly bigger, worse shooting version of Tyler Johnson.

Green is 6'7", 230 pounds. Unless Culver grows 2 inches, gains 35 pounds of muscle, learns to shoot the three and suddenly learns how to pass, there is zero chance of Culver playing a Draymond Green type role. Best case scenario for Culver is Tony Allen, and we already have Booker, Bridges, Jackson (who is a taller, bigger, stronger, more talented version of Culver) and even Tyler Johnson to play the 2, while we hopefully have Oubre, Bridges and Jackson to play the 3.

Draymond Green Can't shoot.

Culver can pass pretty well. and he has grown 1 3/4 inches.

I think just like I have been too harsh on Coby White - you are too harsh on Culver.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Draymond Green Can't shoot.

Culver can pass pretty well. and he has grown 1 3/4 inches.

I think just like I have been too harsh on Coby White - you are too harsh on Culver.

At least Coby White potentially fills a need. I'm not crazy about him, but White brings more to the table for us than Culver, who brings absolutely nothing to the table for us, in my opinion.

Culver is basically a taller version of De'anthony Melton.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well that is silly.

There is almost always someone after the first 2 or 3 picks that becomes an all star, and there are always several players who have long productive careers.

The trick is just figuring out who it is.

What's silly about it? And I've made the case many times that this is a mystery draft and the winner is whoever figures it all out first. But I think the gap between Zion and whoever turns out the best is still going to be huge and it will be a real challenge figuring out which one is most likely to make a difference. I wish us well but I have moderate expectations

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At least Coby White potentially fills a need. I'm not crazy about him, but White brings more to the table for us than Culver, who brings absolutely nothing to the table for us, in my opinion.

Culver is basically a taller version of De'anthony Melton.

Yeah - that is baloney.

He is far better driving to the basket than Melton - he is actually a very good finisher. He is a better passer than Melton - which is sad but true. He is a far superior rebounder as well.

Granted, if we do draft him both Jackson and Warren would have to be traded - but I think that is already going to happen.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What's silly about it? And I've made the case many times that this is a mystery draft and the winner is whoever figures it all out first. But I think the gap between Zion and whoever turns out the best is still going to be huge and it will be a real challenge figuring out which one is most likely to make a difference. I wish us well but I have moderate expectations

So no Zion and you think the draft is meaningless?

So Milwaukee drafted Giannis at 15, we got Booker at 13, Utah got Mitchell in the 20's or something, Kobe and Nash were drafted in the teens - so was John Stockton, I can go on - but you should get the point. The draft is not going to just be about Zion in the long run.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yeah - that is baloney.

He is far better driving to the basket than Melton - he is actually a very good finisher. He is a better passer than Melton - which is sad but true. He is a far superior rebounder as well.

Granted, if we do draft him both Jackson and Warren would have to be traded - but I think that is already going to happen.

Mark my words. Giving Jackson up when his value has bottomed out without giving Monty a chance to get through to him would be a colossal mistake that this franchise would come to regret for years to come. We already have enough egg on our face for giving away Bledsoe for nothing only to see him likely lead his new team to a championship.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

So Milwaukee drafted Giannis at 15, we got Booker at 13, Utah got Mitchell in the 20's or something, Kobe and Nash were drafted in the teens - so was John Stockton, I can go on - but you should get the point. The draft is not going to just be about Zion in the long run.
There is going to be a gem like this in this draft. We just have to figure out who it is.

Still like Shamorie Ponds. I would move up from our second round pick to get him.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
There is going to be a gem like this in this draft. We just have to figure out who it is.

Still like Shamorie Ponds. I would move up from our second round pick to get him.

Ponds will be available when we pick in the second round. He had a poor combine.

OP
OP
JerkFace

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I didn't say that, didn't say anything anywhere close to that IMO. The most meaningful thing about this class is Zion by far but that doesn't mean there won't be stars, starters, role players and deep bench players in this class (as I've said multiple times). I just have no idea who's who and I have little confidence that the experts are any closer to the right answer. They might get there come draft day thanks to the interviews, workouts and combine but regardless, someone will get lucky and I hope it's us. And someone will learn enough to give them an edge and again, hopefully that's us.

But I have very little confidence in any of the scouts, coaches and GM's when it comes to assessing these kids this year. I seem to watch a little less college basketball each season but still, I'd guess I've watched at least 2 games from each of the top 60 US players and I don't even know who I'd pick second (or third or fourth etc.). So, I want the highest pick possible to increase our chances of getting who we want but I'm not at all sure that where we pick will matter all that much.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I didn't say that, didn't say anything anywhere close to that IMO. The most meaningful thing about this class is Zion by far but that doesn't mean there won't be stars, starters, role players and deep bench players in this class (as I've said multiple times). I just have no idea who's who and I have little confidence that the experts are any closer to the right answer. They might get there come draft day thanks to the interviews, workouts and combine but regardless, someone will get lucky and I hope it's us. And someone will learn enough to give them an edge and again, hopefully that's us.

But I have very little confidence in any of the scouts, coaches and GM's when it comes to assessing these kids this year. I seem to watch a little less college basketball each season but still, I'd guess I've watched at least 2 games from each of the top 60 US players and I don't even know who I'd pick second (or third or fourth etc.). So, I want the highest pick possible to increase our chances of getting who we want but I'm not at all sure that where we pick will matter all that much.
You’re not even sure you would pick morant 2???

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’re not even sure you would pick morant 2???

Not at all. I'd probably take him out of desperation but some of the write-ups I've seen sum up my concerns about him at the next level. I think this one is a bit hard on him but his lack of interest when he isn't in control of the ball really concerns me. I'm not suggesting this is gospel but here's a few quotes from his evaluation at TheStepien.Com:

Needs time to load up to explode, not great off of one foot, and does not take contact well.

...is not much of a factor off ball, unless they’re running an action to get the ball back to him. Laissez-faire on defense…he really does not care (which is frustrating because he is quick, has solid anticipation, and processes things quickly…at least on offense, and shows some flashes on defense). Effort on defense is not there. Will need to be coached up on both sides (forcing passes and shots on offense and defensive effort, technique, and rotations).

Medium / Realistic Outcome: Ball dominant starting PG, with below average defense. I’m personally not a fan of his form and don’t think he will ever be able to pull up quickly off the bounce, which severely limits his effectiveness. I am also not a believer in his long term C&S ability unless he really hones in on his form.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Not at all. I'd probably take him out of desperation but some of the write-ups I've seen sum up my concerns about him at the next level. I think this one is a bit hard on him but his lack of interest when he isn't in control of the ball really concerns me. I'm not suggesting this is gospel but here's a few quotes from his evaluation at TheStepien.Com:

Needs time to load up to explode, not great off of one foot, and does not take contact well.

...is not much of a factor off ball, unless they’re running an action to get the ball back to him. Laissez-faire on defense…he really does not care (which is frustrating because he is quick, has solid anticipation, and processes things quickly…at least on offense, and shows some flashes on defense). Effort on defense is not there. Will need to be coached up on both sides (forcing passes and shots on offense and defensive effort, technique, and rotations).

Medium / Realistic Outcome: Ball dominant starting PG, with below average defense. I’m personally not a fan of his form and don’t think he will ever be able to pull up quickly off the bounce, which severely limits his effectiveness. I am also not a believer in his long term C&S ability unless he really hones in on his form.
I’m curious if you watched him this season. He was absolutely electric.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m curious if you watched him this season. He was absolutely electric.

I watched a lot of his highlights and I agree he was electric at times. But while I scoffed at someone's Canaan comparison I was concerned about how he'd play against A level competition over a period of time.

With Trae Young I thought it was easy to see his game would translate to the next level but I saw some things that concerned me in the 2 full regular season Ja games that I actually watched (Alabama and Auburn). He put up pretty good numbers but he was wild and out of control at times and he turned the ball over alarmingly often. Still, he'd be my first invite to a private workout and he'd get every chance to prove he could compete against faster, more physical opponents but I'd need to see it before I'd feel comfortable drafting him.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
I'm hoping we trade TJ Warren but I am not ready to give up on Jackson yet. He's got to show us something in summer league though, if he's participating. I voted Garland and Clark by the way. I'm hoping Clark can be a Kenneth Faried type of guy (more than a Lou Amundson). Maybe Jacoby White is better, I haven't really watched a lot of tape. I hope we resign Holmes and Oubre soon.

Watching a bit of Coby White now. He's got the hair and a nice behind the back dribble. Not sure how that translates to the NBA.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
That's actually a very valuable skill to have from your ball handlers. It is just another way for your guys to make the other team pay for switching.