Jerry Sullivan

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I'll believe it when I see it. Much like BRR, I've just heard too many stories about too many position coaches being the answer for past seasons woes.

LOL you dont "see it".

The problem with football is that you can have the best coach, but if the players suck or are hurt, it doesnt matter.

According to multiple interviews I've heard, hes a top 5 line coach in the NFL. A tier below Scarnecia (sp?) and Munchak.

But at least we know he isnt Goodwin, who multiple players said just yelled at you and taught no technique. Or Grimm who stood around and told you stories of the Hogs. Kugler is a teacher.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Not to mention Kugler.

Everyone that I've heard talk about Kugler says he is one of the very best offensive line coaches out there.

Everywhere he has been, hes gotten better than expected results. Denver got by with cast offs last year and Kugler was credited with alot of the success.
I no longer get excited about oline coaches because I feel like we say this every time we hire a new one.

Jasper

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
LOL you dont "see it".

But at least we know he isnt Goodwin, who multiple players said just yelled at you and taught no technique. Or Grimm who stood around and told you stories of the Hogs. Kugler is a teacher.

I read about that once. I read Bobbie Massie and LeCharles Bentley was very critical of Goodwin.

Russ Grimm’s coaching pedigree was based solely of his reputation.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I no longer get excited about oline coaches because I feel like we say this every time we hire a new one.

I was excited for Brown, but I felt like we didnt have a good OL coach for a long time. It was apparent quickly that Goodwin wasnt good.

Grimm was believed to be good but that proved to be false.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
LOL... when did you become such a complete douche to anyone who disagrees with you?

What I meant by that was we never see the results of a coach firsthand. Not trying to be a douche. We rely on second and third hand info.

Just like with Jerry Sullivan. Everyone talks about how great he is but we had some horrible receivers under his tutelage. If I just went off went I "saw", I'd say he blew goats.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was excited for Brown, but I felt like we didnt have a good OL coach for a long time. It was apparent quickly that Goodwin wasnt good.

Grimm was believed to be good but that proved to be false.
Many of the posts on this board have an inborn bias stemming from a desire to turn any event (good or bad) into some sort of magic formula.

Thus - an OL coach like Grimm or Brown fails to turn around a subpar OL and it's automatically assumed that Grimm must always suck, or it will be a cake-walk for Kugler or whatever.

More and more, I'm getting the feeling that effective coach-player chemistry is the result of 2 human beings interacting one on one - with all kinds of outside influences (including luck) playing a significant role.

It's so much easier to apply a ready-made, cooked-up formula. If things were only that simple.

I love PFF and other sources of analytics, but I feel we sometimes go overboard in relying on them too much.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's scary to think how long it has been since the Cardinals had a decent OL Coach??? Maybe never in AZ. Jim Hanifan was a very good OLC for the Cardinals under Coryell in St. Louis. We ran the ball decently early on under Stallings, but that flamed out too. Even with Joe Bugel as HC, our running game seemed to be average at best.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I associate Sullivan with some of the darker days of the franchise, and so I'm not super jazzed about his return.

He went to Miami after he left us, correct? I remember seeing a blurb about Gilmore following him there.

That he was never able to change Gilmore into a productive NFL receiver is, itself, not an indictment of his ability as a coach. Neither is it an endorsement though. Perhaps in his travels Sullivan has learned a few things that will help us.

Cant believe it's been so long is the McGinnes era. Where has the time gone gentlemen?

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
He was out of the NFL the last two years, back at LSU where he worked in the late 80s.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many of the posts on this board have an inborn bias stemming from a desire to turn any event (good or bad) into some sort of magic formula.

Thus - an OL coach like Grimm or Brown fails to turn around a subpar OL and it's automatically assumed that Grimm must always suck, or it will be a cake-walk for Kugler or whatever.

More and more, I'm getting the feeling that effective coach-player chemistry is the result of 2 human beings interacting one on one - with all kinds of outside influences (including luck) playing a significant role.

It's so much easier to apply a ready-made, cooked-up formula. If things were only that simple.

I love PFF and other sources of analytics, but I feel we sometimes go overboard in relying on them too much.
I think the biggest failure is when you have a finesse player and try to turn him into a mauler and vice-verse. I’m encouraged by all the talk this year about adapting a players ability and putting them in a position to succeed.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Hard to argue with the idea of bringing in temp coaches with a wealth of knowledge and experience. If you let them undermine your current coaches, that is on you.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I associate Sullivan with some of the darker days of the franchise, and so I'm not super jazzed about his return.

He went to Miami after he left us, correct? I remember seeing a blurb about Gilmore following him there.

That he was never able to change Gilmore into a product NFL receiver is, itself, not an indictment of his ability as a coach. Neither is it an endorsement though. Perhaps in his travels Sullivan has learned a few things that will help us.

Cant believe it's been so long is the McGinnes era. Where has the time gone gentlemen?

He took David Boston and made him a top WR in the NFL, Sullivan is very highly thought of, hes a great WR Coach

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got to talk to him when we had passes about some of the things he was teaching Boston, seemed more than willing to chat.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
scott bordow (@sbordow)
8/12/19, 10:42 AM
Jerry Sullivan just told me he’s staying on the rest of the season to help coach the Cardinals wideouts. His deal was supposed to end after training camp. He’ll be a big help to the team’s younger receivers in particular
Coaches must be happy working under k2

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson