Marvel movie marathon for newbies thread

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Movie #15 - Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2

Initial impression: not too shabby for a sequel - Liked it

Fave scenes: Drax and Mantis scenes, Nebula and Gamora talk about their childhood, Quill/Nebula dance scene and the scene where they talk about the unspoken stuff, Drax laughing at Quill after Mantis read his feelings for Nebula

Drax had me dying! So matter of factually calling Mantis ugly, fake puking at the thought of being physical with her and at the end “you’re beautiful... on the inside” LOL

Liked the overall theme about family

Rocket was a huge douche but is a softy at heart

Yandu’s redemption arc, awww

Didn’t like it as much as the first one but it was still entertaining and had heart.

Next movie: Spider-Man: Homecoming
Yeah I think they nailed the guardians movies.

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Movie #16 - Spider-Man: Homecoming

Initial reaction: it was okay, probably would like it more if I was a Spider-Man fan - entertaining though

Fave scene: Spider-Man talking to the suit lady, Iron Man ripping him a new one, scene with Donald Glover telling Spider-Man he needs to get better at that part of the job, scene in the car

Holland did great I thought, Keaton too.

Spider-Man has never been my thing so I definitely won’t be watching this again. But it was entertaining at least.

I appreciated Peter’s unbridled enthusiasm for helping folks even if it got him into trouble. It was endearing.

I did not see that twist coming so that was pretty interesting.

Liked the diversity of the cast, which was refreshing.

Next movie: Thor: Ragnarok (hear this is pretty funny, can’t wait)

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, that’s interesting actually. It was a good movie, for sure. I’m just going off initial reactions. I am curious if my opinions will change once I see them all.

I wasn't a huge fan of The Winter Soldier either. People say it was great but it was just OK for me.

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Movie #17 - Thor: Ragnarok

Initial reaction: Mixed feelings - was funny for sure but felt kinda disjointed/forced at times

Fave scenes: Dr Strange messing with Thor by moving stuff around, the battle between Thor and Hulk, when Thor would throw rocks/items at Loki to see if he was a hologram

Not gonna lie, I gasped when the sister crunched his hammer.

Speaking of sister, where the F did that storyline come from? Is she in the comics or did the writers just pull her and her backstory out of their butts? If the latter, I thought that was kind of lame. And she had all of her soldiers in the basement just waiting to be revived? Cmon. And Odin waited until his deathbed to tell them?

Loved the haircut on Thor.

There were moments that were actually funny, and moments where I thought they tried a bit too hard to be funny.

Loved seeing my boo Loki again. Dare I say that he actually did a good deed at the end? I saw him eye the blue cube when he was getting the horn thingy to put on the fire. I’m sure he took the blue cube, that weasel!

Still love Heimdall.

Super sad to see Asgard go up in flames. I hope Earth is ready for the them.

Jeff Goldblum calling it “ass-place” and “ass-guard” and Thor getting all mad yelling back “ASGARD!” lol

I was totally shocked to see Hulk and had no idea he was in this, so that was a cool surprise. Ruffalo did a great job with his scenes.

Overall: Liked it cuz its Thor and Loki, but didn’t LOVE it.

Next movie: Black Panther

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of sister, where the F did that storyline come from? Is she in the comics or did the writers just pull her and her backstory out of their butts? If the latter, I thought that was kind of lame. And she had all of her soldiers in the basement just waiting to be revived? Cmon. And Odin waited until his deathbed to tell them?

In the comics, Hela is Thor's niece and Loki's daughter. They never had a sister until 2014 when a Spawn supporting character named Angela was actually gifted to Marvel by co-creator Neil Gaiman and revealed to be a daughter of Odin who had been kidnapped as a child and brought up as an assassin.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Movie #15 - Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2

Initial impression: not too shabby for a sequel - Liked it

Fave scenes: Drax and Mantis scenes, Nebula and Gamora talk about their childhood, Quill/Nebula dance scene and the scene where they talk about the unspoken stuff, Drax laughing at Quill after Mantis read his feelings for Nebula

Drax had me dying! So matter of factually calling Mantis ugly, fake puking at the thought of being physical with her and at the end “you’re beautiful... on the inside” LOL

Liked the overall theme about family

Rocket was a huge douche but is a softy at heart

Yandu’s redemption arc, awww

Didn’t like it as much as the first one but it was still entertaining and had heart.

Next movie: Spider-Man: Homecoming

I still like it better than the first but I am in the massive minority

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the comics, Hela is Thor's niece and Loki's daughter. They never had a sister until 2014 when a Spawn supporting character named Angela was actually gifted to Marvel by co-creator Neil Gaiman and revealed to be a daughter of Odin who had been kidnapped as a child and brought up as an assassin.
Thanks BIM for the info!

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Movie #18 - Black Panther

Initial reaction: Liked it!

Fave scenes: First and second BP/Killmonger fight scenes, Okoye being a badass

Very interesting to learn more about Wakanda and Black Panther history.

Crazy watching TChalla get thrown over the cliff!

I really felt for Killmonger in terms of his feelings for Wakanda. They never came back for him. They essentially created his radicalism. Killmonger is a great name btw (for a murderer hah).

Loved the tech and visuals in this movie. The Blank Panther suit where it absorbs the energy? Freaking badass!

Speaking of badass, Okoye is my new fave bad bitch. Nakia was cool too.

I’m glad BP realized Wakanda had a duty to help others and to share their resources.

Killmonger’s final line about wanting to be buried at sea with his ancestors so as to not be in chains was brutal emotionally.

Next movie: Avengers: Infinity War (ohhhh snap, i think ish is about to get real!)

Last edited:
OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spoilers for Infinity War ahead since this is still a kinda recent movie...

Movie #19 - Avengers: Infinity War

Initial reaction: Holy crap, where’d everyone go?!

Fave scenes: Thor meeting Quill and the Gang, Banter between Dr Strange and Star, Gamora/Quill promise scene, Final fight scene

So why did certain folks disappear and not others? Are they really dead (don’t answer that)

RIP Heimdal. And maybe Loki (miss you, boo). And maybe Spider Man, Black Panther, Falcon, Maximoff twin, Nick Fury, Dr Strange, Winter Soldier, Groot, Drax, Star Lord??

And RIP Gamora.... that was sad. She tried to kill herself before Thanos could but he stopped it and threw her off the cliff. :(

And Spider-Man going was also sad. Oh hell, all of it was sad if they really are dead! Maybe use the green stone and bring them back? I dunno what to believe anymore since so many deaths have come back.

Dr Strange was kinda badass with his magic. And he called Stark a douchebag. Clash of the big egos haha.

So now what happens? I kind of want to watch Endgame straightaway now and not see Marvel or Ant Man/Wasp, haha. But I will follow the list, I have made if this far.

Thor’s new weapon is cool. And even cooler that the handle is from Groot.

Next movie: Ant-Man and the Wasp

Last edited:
OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spoilers ahead

Movie #20 - Ant-Man and the Wasp

Initial reaction - not bad, not great

Fave scenes: Car chase scenes when the cars went big and small, montage of how he spent his days while on house arrest,

Not as good as the first, but I liked it well enough

I am curious if the quantum realm healing stuff will come into play in Endgame.

RIP to the Wasp, Pym and Wifey Pym? Curious how Ant Man will get out of there if those three are dust

I thought Ava was super freaking annoying despite having a cool looking suit.

Liked the banter between FBI Wong and Scott.

Next movie: Captain Marvel

And so ends the dvd/streaming portion of this marathon. Next two movies I gotta go see in theaters :)

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Movie #21 - Captain Marvel

Initial reaction: loved it

Fave scene: Fury/Carol banter, the music, space!, CM being badass

I can’t remember which movie had the Kree in it, but it was cool to learn CM’s backstory. I was super glad she was human.

Holy crap, her power is freaking RIDICULOUS. When she basically flew into space like Iron Man but without a mask, I was like daaaamn. Very interesting that she’s powered by the tesseract (which was the blue infinity stone right?) I didn’t quite understand how she got her power and why it didn’t kill her but killed Annette Bening in the crash.

Loved that we FINALLY got to see how Fury lost his eye (LOL)

Speaking of the cat.... WTF is that thing?

Loved that it was set in the mid 90s. ******* I loved the 90s.

I am curious where CM has been while during the Avenger movies (meaning how they will explain her absence in the movie) I’m thinking Endgame will address that maybe?

Was nice to see Agent Coulson again

Overall, fun freaking movie with a badass girl at the helm

Next movie - Avengers: Endgame (ahhhh, it’s finally here!)

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I was thinking about this and decided this was the most appropriate places....

Can it be argued that Iron Man is one of the most important films of all time?

Consider this; If Iron Man 1 is a total disaster similar to every superhero movie before it; do any of the last 10 years of Marvel happen? Just seems like people dismiss the superhero genre but in terms of family friendly (popcorn filmmaking) you gotta admit, Marvel has taken it to the next level right? As long as Popcorn=$$$ and MILLIONS of people touched by these films.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Consider this; If Iron Man 1 is a total disaster similar to every superhero movie before it; do any of the last 10 years of Marvel happen? Just seems like people dismiss the superhero genre but in terms of family friendly (popcorn filmmaking) you gotta admit, Marvel has taken it to the next level right? As long as Popcorn=$$$ and MILLIONS of people touched by these films.

You're absolutely right. And they gambled on an addict actor that couldn't even get insured.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

I think you have a point in the modern era, however I would say that Blade is at least as important as Iron Man. Blade was the first Marvel superhero movie that was successful. It’s arguable that Iron Man wouldn’t be have happened had Blade not been a success.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think you have a point in the modern era, however I would say that Blade is at least as important as Iron Man. Blade was the first Marvel superhero movie that was successful. It’s arguable that Iron Man wouldn’t be have happened had Blade not been a success.
But here’s the distinction, Blade wasn’t a “superhero-superhero” in the way the rest of these have been. In fact, when Blade came out I was far removed from my comic book days. I didn’t know who Blade was. As a result I just thought it was unique take on a vampire movie. I’d venture to guess the majority of the movie-going audience fell into the same category. So even though that was a Marvel property, I don’t see it as trailblazing for Iron Man and the ensuing Marvel universe.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
But here’s the distinction, Blade wasn’t a “superhero-superhero” in the way the rest of these have been. In fact, when Blade came out I was far removed from my comic book days. I didn’t know who Blade was. As a result I just thought it was unique take on a vampire movie. I’d venture to guess the majority of the movie-going audience fell into the same category. So even though that was a Marvel property, I don’t see it as trailblazing for Iron Man and the ensuing Marvel universe.
Except that isn’t the point I was making. If Blade hadn’t been successful, Marvel as we know it wouldn’t exist. They were in a lot of trouble before Blade. It actually has nothing to do with the Marvel universe and everything to do with Marvel the entity.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Except that isn’t the point I was making. If Blade hadn’t been successful, Marvel as we know it wouldn’t exist. They were in a lot of trouble before Blade. It actually has nothing to do with the Marvel universe and everything to do with Marvel the entity.
Oh got it. Didn’t get the point you were making.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose