Trainwreck

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I gave it a try, because I hadn't seen Schumer in anything before. I mean, I guess she was okay, but she was working with some really crap writing. It made me militantly hate one of the main characters, just like in that one Jonah Hill movie where the fat kid acts like a douche the whole movie, yet still gets the girl. She acts like a complete and utter asshat and, all of a sudden, for no apparent reason, the doctor digs her. So utterly unbelievable.

The writer NEEDED him to fall for her, so, voila! He falls for her. I had to cut it off right there, because, DAMN, that's some awful writing. Authorial need to the max!

So, I'm not sure what else she's been in, but I'll have to give Schumer a try in something else. I don't think the script gave her much to work with.

Pretty sure Amy wrote the script herself.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I gave it a try, because I hadn't seen Schumer in anything before. I mean, I guess she was okay, but she was working with some really crap writing. It made me militantly hate one of the main characters, just like in that one Jonah Hill movie where the fat kid acts like a douche the whole movie, yet still gets the girl. She acts like a complete and utter asshat and, all of a sudden, for no apparent reason, the doctor digs her. So utterly unbelievable.

The writer NEEDED him to fall for her, so, voila! He falls for her. I had to cut it off right there, because, DAMN, that's some awful writing. Authorial need to the max!

So, I'm not sure what else she's been in, but I'll have to give Schumer a try in something else. I don't think the script gave her much to work with.

Um, it's a romantic comedy. One of the, if not the, most formulaic genres in movies. What did you expect? Jokes are one thing, but the movie is going to be cliched to no end.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Um, it's a romantic comedy. One of the, if not the, most formulaic genres in movies. What did you expect? Jokes are one thing, but the movie is going to be cliched to no end.

No, no, cliched I would have been fine with. I expected it, in fact. As long as it was entertaining, cliched would have been fine. The writer didn't make the MC endearing in even the slightest way, nor did they show the MC coming off in any way as appealing to the male lead. It's like the writer--Schumer herself, I've been informed--needed the guy to fall for the MC, and simply wrote it so. I'm a writer, and authorial need can really ruin a story. This was a bad case of it. Just like the awful Jonah Hill character in Superbad, where random douchebagery is rewarded.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
No, no, cliched I would have been fine with. I expected it, in fact. As long as it was entertaining, cliched would have been fine. The writer didn't make the MC endearing in even the slightest way, nor did they show the MC coming off in any way as appealing to the male lead. It's like the writer--Schumer herself, I've been informed--needed the guy to fall for the MC, and simply wrote it so. I'm a writer, and authorial need can really ruin a story. This was a bad case of it. Just like the awful Jonah Hill character in Superbad, where random douchebagery is rewarded.

Rewarded with Emma freaking Stone no less... lol

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Did not enjoy this at all. And as much as I hate LeBron, he was one of the few highlights, him and Colin Quinn and John Cena.

LeBron was surprisingly good and John Cena was hilarious as always. Overall the film was a bit of a letdown, but still worth watching once.