I need to go camping

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at the BA Scout 2, which weighs a pound. Problem is that it's crazy expensive. I'd like to hit the Ruby Mountain trails sometime in early August, and I'm looking for ways to cut weight for that week.

Sounds like you got a hell of a deal with that backpack.

You mean the Ruby Mountains south of Elko?

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Beautiful area - I have only been there once, looking for the introduced population of Himalayan Snowcock (only place outside of Asia that they are, a program to introduce another game bird to Nevada, but they are so remote little hunting is done of them).

Hiked up to Island Lake, and off trail around the lake and up the ridgeline.

Reactions: LVG

azmike74

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Id recommend a water filter but it sounds like you dont have streams or lakes to pull from. Water is stupid heavy.

have you ever pulled water from a poopy source and tried it? I'd be sold if a Lifestraw could make cattle tank water taste acceptable, but I don't know what to expect.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
have you ever pulled water from a ****** source and tried it? I'd be sold if a Lifestraw could make cattle tank water taste acceptable, but I don't know what to expect.
You got censored so I don't know.

I've never tried a lifestraw. Mine is a hand held pump with I think a charcoal filter but it might be better stuff than that, I don't remember. Either way, you drop a hose in the water, attach the device to a nalgene bottle and then pump it full of water. I've done it in streams, havasupai and multiple lakes around town. It seems to work great and tastes like Arrowhead water.

I'm not willing to test something nasty but I bet people on YouTube do.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

azmike74

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You got censored so I don't know.

I've never tried a lifestraw. Mine is a hand held pump with I think a charcoal filter but it might be better stuff than that, I don't remember. Either way, you drop a hose in the water, attach the device to a nalgene bottle and then pump it full of water. I've done it in streams, havasupai and multiple lakes around town. It seems to work great and tastes like Arrowhead water.

I'm not willing to test something nasty but I bet people on YouTube do.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Dang, yeah i should have said "dirty" source. I usually don't say bad words on this website but I slipped up.
I just wonder if people always use a relatively clean source of water or if anyone had tried to drink water out of nasty stuff like a cattle tank or something.
I'm not particularly looking to drink out of a nasty cattle tank, it would just be nice to know I could if I had to.

Idk how I screwed my font up, I'm signing off for the night lol

OP
OP
Hollywood

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Dang, yeah i should have said "dirty" source. I usually don't say bad words on this website but I slipped up.
I just wonder if people always use a relatively clean source of water or if anyone had tried to drink water out of nasty stuff like a cattle tank or something.
I'm not particularly looking to drink out of a nasty cattle tank, it would just be nice to know I could if I had to.

Idk how I screwed my font up, I'm signing off for the night lol
I havn't used the life straw. I believe it is designed to filter out the harmful bacteria but doesn't really do anything for taste. But again, I haven't used one yet. I would think some powdered flavor would be a good idea.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Beautiful area - I have only been there once, looking for the introduced population of Himalayan Snowcock (only place outside of Asia that they are, a program to introduce another game bird to Nevada, but they are so remote little hunting is done of them).

Hiked up to Island Lake, and off trail around the lake and up the ridgeline.

Good to know! I heard about it from a friend not too long ago and put it on my list. I'm hoping this season and to make it a week or so.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Just curious for the backpackers - what's your base weight?

I'm currently running about 20 lbs.

Last edited:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good to know! I heard about it from a friend not too long ago and put it on my list. I'm hoping this season and to make it a week or so.

Paved road up Lamoille Canyon - several different trails leave from there -- but check conditions of the road - there was a fire there last fall and the road was closed.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Paved road up Lamoille Canyon - several different trails leave from there -- but check conditions of the road - there was a fire there last fall and the road was closed.

Good to know. I need to get the topos and actually sit down to do a solid plan before mid-June. Right now, it's just a pie-in-the-sky wish.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive never camped up there, there is even a small lake. I've tried to pull of to it but whenever I am on Mingus mountain, the lake is always closed for Winter.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seen any bears up there?

When its closed? lol....no...Ive never been able to even get off of the road toward it, its always closed when I go.

Ive never seen bears anywhere though.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Went to the campground up top Mingus. Good place; no electricity but had water. The "lake" really isn't a lake. We also got snowed on. But had fun nonetheless.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hollywood

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Went to the campground up top Mingus. Good place; no electricity but had water. The "lake" really isn't a lake. We also got snowed on. But had fun nonetheless.
That looks amazing. I need to go camping.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
A couple weeks ago I backpacked in the Gila Forest, just over the NM border. Hiked 38 miles over 3 days and 2 nights. Beautiful forest. 2 hours of day 2 and 3 hours of day 3 were spent hiking down a river, crossing it at least 30 times. It had a few nice swimming holes as well. Definitely making it back there in the near future.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple weeks ago I backpacked in the Gila Forest, just over the NM border. Hiked 38 miles over 3 days and 2 nights. Beautiful forest. 2 hours of day 2 and 3 hours of day 3 were spent hiking down a river, crossing it at least 30 times. It had a few nice swimming holes as well. Definitely making it back there in the near future.

That sounds AWESOME!

OP
OP
Hollywood

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score

That sounds awesome. My brother has gotten into bike-packing and has been trying to get me to go. What are you using for tents?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave