2019 3rd round pick is Zach Allen DE

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Because you pay Golden to sack the QB. And outside of one season, he's put up below average sack numbers.

Terrell Suggs was Golden's replacement. Hall of Famer vs. guy who might be out of the league in a year or two.
Funny thing - I always considered Golden someone on the strong side who could anchor vs. the run. His sack total that one year came as a huge surprise to me.

Designating whether Golden was an OLB or DE is an important distinction - made all the more confusing as we switched from a 3-4 to a 4-3 and back to a 3-4. In the 3-4, I always considered him an SLB opposite C Jones (& never a DE).

Allen appears to fit the profile of a standard 3-4 DE.

i.e. consider Allen as a 3-4 DE with more speed & quicks. Consider Golden as an OLB who's stonger vs. the run. I don't think the 2 roles are interchangeable.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Funny thing - I always considered Golden someone on the strong side who could anchor vs. the run. His sack total that one year came as a huge surprise to me.

Designating whether Golden was an OLB or DE is an important distinction - made all the more confusing as we switched from a 3-4 to a 4-3 and back to a 3-4. In the 3-4, I always considered him an SLB opposite C Jones (& never a DE).

Allen appears to fit the profile of a standard 3-4 DE.

i.e. consider Allen as a 3-4 DE with more speed & quicks. Consider Golden as an OLB who's stonger vs. the run. I don't think the 2 roles are interchangeable.

The problem I saw with Golden is that because of his limited athletic ability, he was often teeing off on rushing the passer and finding himself out of position on run plays. He's the classic overachiever that ultimately hurts your team because he's trying to do more than he is capable of. Give me a guy who has half as many sacks but holds the edge better and I'm happy. And this is considering when he was actually productive, not when he put up 2 sacks on the year.

IMO Suggs is going to be a big upgrade opposite Jones. It's the least talked about acquisition and one that should be a huge positive. Even if Suggs gets 6 sacks, he'll be a huge upgrade because he's a complete player.

I think Allen is going to initially struggle against bigger, stronger OL in the NFL, but will get by on his motor early on. After more examination, I think Brett Keisel is a fair comparison for Allen. I think he's going to be a fan favorite who plays 7+ years for the Cardinals, and while he probably never makes a Pro Bowl, he will be an above replacement level player.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The problem I saw with Golden is that because of his limited athletic ability, he was often teeing off on rushing the passer and finding himself out of position on run plays. He's the classic overachiever that ultimately hurts your team because he's trying to do more than he is capable of. Give me a guy who has half as many sacks but holds the edge better and I'm happy. And this is considering when he was actually productive, not when he put up 2 sacks on the year.

IMO Suggs is going to be a big upgrade opposite Jones. It's the least talked about acquisition and one that should be a huge positive. Even if Suggs gets 6 sacks, he'll be a huge upgrade because he's a complete player.

I think Allen is going to initially struggle against bigger, stronger OL in the NFL, but will get by on his motor early on. After more examination, I think Brett Keisel is a fair comparison for Allen. I think he's going to be a fan favorite who plays 7+ years for the Cardinals, and while he probably never makes a Pro Bowl, he will be an above replacement level player.

He's a better athlete than Keisel.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
But more realistic
Not necessarily. You are comparing the two as prospects. For instance I could accurately compare a late round QB to Brady as a prospect and that could legitimately be a realistic comparison. Obviously Brady turned out WAY better than anyone projected back when he was drafted, but that doesn't change who he was as a prospect.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

The Cards were 3rd in pass defense DVOA and 7th in rush defense DVOA the season before Markus Golden's injury. We allowed fewer adjusted line yards on the right side of the defense (Where golden was playing) than the left that year.

We've been underratedly weak at that position since Golden went down. I think that the most we could expect from Suggs would be as good as Golden was in 2016.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The Cards were 3rd in pass defense DVOA and 7th in rush defense DVOA the season before Markus Golden's injury. We allowed fewer adjusted line yards on the right side of the defense (Where golden was playing) than the left that year.

We've been underratedly weak at that position since Golden went down. I think that the most we could expect from Suggs would be as good as Golden was in 2016.

Eyes and memory dont always sync with reality.

I think the Cardinals defense is going to be pretty good this year.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
I think he profiles like Calais Campbell. Campbell achieved his ceiling, so I dunno if Allen can get there, but we should anticipate the first few years of Allen to feel like campbells.

Calais Campbell was considered a top 5 pick going into his last season at Miami. He dropped because buffoons like Mayock overthought his height and production in his final collegiate season. This dude just has a motor

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Calais Campbell was considered a top 5 pick going into his last season at Miami. He dropped because buffoons like Mayock overthought his height and production in his final collegiate season. This dude just has a motor

the kid has some good skills to go with that motor.I don`t expect Calais Campbell type career but a KVB type career wouldn`t be bad.It nice to see a player who thinks taking a play off is cheating yourself and the team.I like that instead of some of the bellyup rollover tired ass BS we have seen.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
Very happy with what I’ve seen and heard from Allen so far. Couldn’t give a **** what some hack writers opinion of him is.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Zach Allen Tackles Rookie Life With Cardinals
Tackles are a funny thing.

OK, maybe not tackles themselves – anyone who has been tackled isn’t laughing – but tackle statistics, something that ultimately relies on subjective decisions. Zach Allen understands this, and so the 100 tackles he piled up as a junior at Boston College (47 solos, 53 assists) in 13 games are less about the number and more about what they represent.

And how Allen, the defensive end the Cardinals took with the first pick in the third round of the draft, discusses those 100 tackles also says something about the person who made them.

https://www.azcardinals.com/news/zach-allen-tackles-rookie-life-with-cardinals

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose