Insight into Management from Rosen on Rich Eisen Show

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, those who have said him getting two calls from the coach is plenty are spot on. To expect every member of leadership to call him separately is a bit much and a stupid thing to argue about. I would imagine as well, a low level roster player no one would care, this is just a touchy subject so people do.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
disagree with the idea that Rosen was owed real time updates -- he wasn't

now: once the draft Murray call was made draft night -- he is owed a phone call. Preferably by the owner, or at least the GM.

at a minimum: once draft week dies down, a phone call to close the loop.

but again: it strikes me Josh is kinda working the victim angle here, and it doesn't reflect well on him.

KK his coach called and told him and also thanked him. I don't know why that wasn't sufficient as he was woking the relationship with Josh during OTAs. Sorry but I just don't feel that Keim or Bidwill had to also make a call. Again, time to move on for both josh and the Cards.

Keim and Michael B. had a one-year working relationship with the player. The coach had two weeks of direct contact (coaches can't have significant talks before OTAs and mini camp). Your player is caught in the middle of distracting press clippings and reports from the local and national media. The FO had been non-committal in the about the process in public.

A player-focused FO would've made a conscience effort to at least periodically check-in with Rosen. Be up front, give him at least surface-level information rather than reading about it on social media. Anyone who's been a successful manager in business knows the importance of controlling the narrative and making sure his employees are kept abreast of similar situations, especially one with the ramifications of uprooting someone.

Keim failed on multiple levels in the process and it's near impossible to give him the benefit of the doubt with his history of mismanaging other players, particularly with the PP21 situation having been unresolved.

This is not something to dust off and say "all parties should move on." Guarantee after yesterday, Josh Rosen is now squarely focused on being a Dolphin. But Josh Rosen may be doing us a favor by pulling the veil off of what may be systematic dysfunction in the front office. If this were an isolated incident, then yeah, it's probably mostly on Josh. But it's not. Josh isn't the problem, he's the symptom of the disease in the front office, and that has to change for this team to compete for the division and hopefully Super Bowls.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sorry, but I feel strong about this issue. I’m retired but was a senior manager working for many large companies in my career. I worked for some wonderful people and also for some real jerks. However, one thing that I strongly felt and would preach to my staff was always leave on a positive note. Never say anything negative on your old company or the people you worked for, it will come back to haunt you.

Josh Rosen left on a positive note, he created a great video on his time here. All was positive. Now, he is being interviewed by a national news organization and he takes a shot at Keim. I think that was stupid and shows real immaturity on his part. What was the purpose of doing this?? How do think that Keim and Bidwill feel about him after this?

Argue all you want but he broke glass and didn’t have to. Nothing was gained. Just my two cents.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
There is a right way and a wrong way to do things.Anyone who thinks SK handled this the right way is absolutely wrong IMO.I certainly don't blame Rosen for being angry.In a perfect world he could have just kept his thoughts to himself.
But he spoke up and obviously he hasn't been the only one to do so.It is what it is and I wish him luck.As for SK he had a good draft except for the 1st pick(rather have defense) so his dysfunctional tenure will likely continue for a couple more years.

Last edited:

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I wanted to keep Rosen but now that he's gone, I could care less if everyone in the Front Office called him. Who cares now regarding Rosen, unless you're a family member because he got paid... what we should be talking about is if there really is a problem with Keim and if so how is this going to affect the situation with Peterson

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Keim is getting player relations advice from Terry’s brother. If it’s true Keim didn’t talk to Rosen for weeks before the draft that’s head scratchingly bad look.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Sorry, but I feel strong about this issue. I’m retired but was a senior manager working for many large companies in my career. I worked for some wonderful people and also for some real jerks. However, one thing that I strongly felt and would preach to my staff was always leave on a positive note. Never say anything negative on your old company or the people you worked for, it will come back to haunt you.

That is true but you would also understand (from experience) that there is a professional way to handle this from an organizational perspective. The Cardinals didn't do that well.

I wanted to keep Rosen but now that he's gone, I could care less if everyone in the Front Office called him. Who cares now regarding Rosen, unless you're a family member because he got paid... what we should be talking about is if there really is a problem with Keim and if so how is this going to affect the situation with Peterson

I care because it demonstrates to our team and others (players, coaches, etc) how we act as an organization. The AQ deal was classy...this wasn't.

I would imagine this is exactly what set Peterson off...this type of BS from Keim. Hiring Wilks and probably (speculation) not holding to his word with PP21 and others.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
That is true but you would also understand (from experience) that there is a professional way to handle this from an organizational perspective. The Cardinals didn't do that well.

I care because it demonstrates to our team and others (players, coaches, etc) how we act as an organization. The AQ deal was classy...this wasn't.

I would imagine this is exactly what set Peterson off...this type of BS from Keim. Hiring Wilks and probably (speculation) not holding to his word with PP21 and others.

We can only imagine but it's all about money... meaning it does not matter how often or what Keim says, may be about a promise but that promise was about money :raccoon:
https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports...0190510-rujzfd55rbgqhkkcvtcakvh7ry-story.html

Last edited:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I was up in Phx today and listened to Gambo & Burns for quite a while. They took on this topic and I thought Gambo had the right take on the situation. He pointed out that Kliff called Rosen, both right before they drafted Kyler, and again the next day, and by Rosen's own account, they were both good and sincere calls that he appreciated. Gambo's take was - what the hell is he whining about then? How many people from the front office needed to call him? If nobody had called - yeah, really bad look. But Kingsbury was the guy, and they probably discussed it first, and he probably said "hey, I've got a good relationship with Josh, I'll make the call." And he did. Period/end of story. How many people should have called?? 2? 3? 4? Kliff's call should be enough. And he made a really good argument for it, and I came away 100% in agreement. He also questioned why Josh is even talking about the Cards at all at this point. He should be looking forward. He already addressed the situation at his Dolphins press conference. Time to move on.

There are plenty of reasons to be dissatisfied with Keim, but this just isn't one of them. Give him heat for creating the situation in the first place, or his other draft failures, or hiring Wilks, etc.. but this lack of a freaking phone call outrage is just stupid.
We just don't know a lot about this situation. I generally agree with this stance though. Ultimately at least 1 person from the top of the organization needs to keep in contact with him and KK is one of those guys. For all we know Kiem mentioned calling Rosen and KK told him that he was the one that wanted to make the call. There is nothing suggesting that multiple people at the top need to call him and this should be a non issue as long as he was contacted by one of those guys (KK, MB or SK specifically) and it's possible that MB talked to him as well.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was up in Phx today and listened to Gambo & Burns for quite a while. They took on this topic and I thought Gambo had the right take on the situation. He pointed out that Kliff called Rosen, both right before they drafted Kyler, and again the next day, and by Rosen's own account, they were both good and sincere calls that he appreciated. Gambo's take was - what the hell is he whining about then? How many people from the front office needed to call him? If nobody had called - yeah, really bad look. But Kingsbury was the guy, and they probably discussed it first, and he probably said "hey, I've got a good relationship with Josh, I'll make the call." And he did. Period/end of story. How many people should have called?? 2? 3? 4? Kliff's call should be enough. And he made a really good argument for it, and I came away 100% in agreement. He also questioned why Josh is even talking about the Cards at all at this point. He should be looking forward. He already addressed the situation at his Dolphins press conference. Time to move on.

There are plenty of reasons to be dissatisfied with Keim, but this just isn't one of them. Give him heat for creating the situation in the first place, or his other draft failures, or hiring Wilks, etc.. but this lack of a freaking phone call outrage is just stupid.
Totally agree. IMO Rosen ends up being the loser on this.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was kind of wondering what's been going on at the OTA's. Have any rookies or vets flashed anything worth mentioning?

I realize management-style and FO-player miscommunication is far more important than football-related matters, but I just had to ask.

Here's an idea: Why not create a soap opera (we'll call it "How Come You Never Call") about a young player's struggles as he searches for a viable means of employment). Then we could binge-watch this instead of wasting our energy worrying about such nonsense as playbooks and depth charts.

I miss football; I really do.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was kind of wondering what's been going on at the OTA's. Have any rookies or vets flashed anything worth mentioning?

I realize management-style and FO-player miscommunication is far more important than football-related matters, but I just had to ask.

Here's an idea: Why not create a soap opera (we'll call it "How Come You Never Call") about a young player's struggles as he searches for a viable means of employment). Then we could binge-watch this instead of wasting our energy worrying about such nonsense as playbooks and depth charts.

I miss football; I really do.
i dont think OTAs have started. There was news out of rookie minicamp but I think only day one was visible to media.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the harsh reality of business in the NFL. I don't think Keim speaks to many of the players who are cut and that is not uncommon among several teams in the NFL from what I hear. I know for a fact that when Cole Toner was released by the Cardinals a few years ago, Keim and BA never contacted him.

Here is a good story of one players experience with the Raiders cutting him several years ago:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ook-at-the-harsh-realities-of-nfl-roster-cuts

In hindsight, it’s clear the Raiders organization handles that entire process very insensitively. I was never told a reason why I was cut. The head coach, Art Shell, didn’t even have the courtesy to speak to me at any point during the process. No visit from the GM, no word or goodbye from defensive coordinator Rob Ryan or Don Martindale.

Instead, I was released by two guys I had never seen before and sent on my way.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
This is the harsh reality of business in the NFL. I don't think Keim speaks to many of the players who are cut and that is not uncommon among several teams in the NFL from what I hear. I know for a fact that when Cole Toner was released by the Cardinals a few years ago, Keim and BA never contacted him.

Here is a good story of one players experience with the Raiders cutting him several years ago:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ook-at-the-harsh-realities-of-nfl-roster-cuts

Wolfley said when he was cut the last time by the Rams, he was cut by his Runningbacks Coach.

Rosen got his goodbye from the coach and I think that was/is good enough. Doesn't change that Keim seems to be a douche.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

There is so much turnover in the NFL that it doesn't surprise me whatsoever (baseball is probably similar as well). You should ultimately be getting contacted by someone near the top of the organization and obviously the higher you standing is the higher up it should probably go.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Wolfley said when he was cut the last time by the Rams, he was cut by his Runningbacks Coach.

Rosen got his goodbye from the coach and I think that was/is good enough. Doesn't change that Keim seems to be a douche.

He wasn't cut...he was traded.

He wasn't a washed up back-up player...he was the the #10 overall pick, starting QB, and presumed QBOF.

There is no sugar coating this one.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

This should have no bearing on Kiem one way or the other. If you feel he is a douche for other reasons than fine, but it is by no means a requirement that he personally talks to everyone that is cut or traded. Some guys are very friendly and will make it their personal responsibility to always contact their players in these situation and some aren't. It's simply a matter of going above and beyond or doing what is actually required.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Does it really matter at this point? Josh might as well have closed his cardinal twitter and Facebook accounts! Would be nice if he sent him a gift basket or something. But 17 million could buy a lot of Jack! I can’t remember getting fired, I have fired quite a few folks, mostly for poor performance or bad behavior and I never got them anything. I think he landed in the right spot - hope he ain’t ruined like Leinart - best of luck - get on with your bad self - rub some dirt on it and get back in the game!

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Last time you got fired, did the boss call you the next day to see how you were feeling?

Also, Rosen didn't come out with this on his own. Someone on air gave him a point blank question and he answered it, he wasn't seeking a pulpit to call from.

OP
OP
Timm Rosenbach

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Should have called him right before the Dolphins trade and let him know where he was going. Then adios. That would have been sufficient

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

Josh Rosen left on a positive note, he created a great video on his time here. All was positive. Now, he is being interviewed by a national news organization and he takes a shot at Keim. I think that was stupid and shows real immaturity on his part. What was the purpose of doing this?? How do think that Keim and Bidwill feel about him after this?

Argue all you want but he broke glass and didn’t have to. Nothing was gained. Just my two cents.
It's not like Rosen trashed the guy and called him an alcoholic waste of talent, he simply stated he wasn't called.

He very matter-of-factly offered up what happened. If someone asks me the circumstances of how I left my last job, and asks about the specifics, what am I supposed to do? Lie, so I don't hurt my precious former employer's feelings?

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These stories from around the league are interesting but not necessarily relevant. We're talking about a top-10 draft pick from one year ago who was projected to be the team's QB of the future. Not a long snapper, not a TE, not a lineman, not an aging fullback. One of the faces of your franchise moving forward. You'd think there would be a sense of camaraderie and respect from GM to player, but maybe Keim is a robot-like all-business guy and once he moves on from you … you are dead to him. Regardless, I think this is being blown way out of proportion. Josh has handled the situation like a pro. He hasn't called us the "armpit of the NFL" like Simeon Rice or badmouthed us with multiple tweets ala Honey Badger. He simply noted that it was the one thing that frustrated him most out of the entire situation. It sounds like it was a change in the way things had been up to that point - like Keim and Josh had a good relationship and communication up until a couple of months before the draft and then suddenly Keim ghosted Josh completely. If they never talked at all it wouldn't have been anything out of the ordinary to not hear from him.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's not like Rosen trashed the guy and called him an alcoholic waste of talent, he simply stated he wasn't called.

He very matter-of-factly offered up what happened. If someone asks me the circumstances of how I left my last job, and asks about the specifics, what am I supposed to do? Lie, so I don't hurt my precious former employer's feelings?
You are not gong to like my answer but in the business world you need to be careful. You don't want to burn any bridges. Your ex-boss will be contacted as part of the hiring process. You want to leave on a positive note. That is not always easy to do. I always told people I left for a better opportunity than to say I worked for a jerk.
Rosen didn't thrash Keim but did say he was disappointed that he didn't personally call him. He didn't have to say that as KK called him. That should have been enough. Because of his statement, some talk show hosts are now criticizing Keim. Rosen should have just praised KK and let it at that. Nothing was gained. Hey we all have opinions, that is just mine. Unfortunately, we don't always get to pick our boss. :D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA