Kingsbury adapting offensive verbiage to match Oklahoma's offense

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
i dont think he is announcing it at the line of scrimmage

because if he were, it wouldnt matter whose terminology he used
Audibles are called at the line of scrimmage. When you know the team's adjustments, using their terminology, it's a bad thing.

But were any coaches' future harmed by this which was your point, by this being the sharing of information which is probably not... meaning the failure after Griffin's first year was not due to a sharing of information
Well, Baylor's head coach never made it to the NFL... he now coaches in Italy. Riley is going to be a hot name when he decides he'll move on from Oklahoma.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
So KK get's the terminology from Riley because they don't have CBA restrictions on time with their players and then KK reviews them with Murray and Murray doesn't notice that Riley fed KK bad info. Plus Riley labels himself as a liar. Seriously, just a horrible take on your part. Plus the terminology is to communicate over the headset and in the huddle, not sure how this helps the opposition. Again, simply a bad take on your part.
Not sure how you're missing the point.

There are significant complications here, from "why would Riley do that," to "if the system was so tailor made for Murray, why is Kliff changing up all of his terminology," to "why doesn't Kyler learn the system like the rest of the team?"

It points to the Cardinals either lying about knowing Kyler was the pick months in advance, KK changing his offensive terminology this late in the game, or Kyler struggling to embrace the existing concepts.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Audibles are called at the line of scrimmage. When you know the team's adjustments, using their terminology, it's a bad thing.

Well, Baylor's head coach never made it to the NFL... he now coaches in Italy. Riley is going to be a hot name when he decides he'll move on from Oklahoma.
I bet audible terminology is changed quite often even within a game.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not sure how you're missing the point.

There are significant complications here, from "why would Riley do that," to "if the system was so tailor made for Murray, why is Kliff changing up all of his terminology," to "why doesn't Kyler learn the system like the rest of the team?"

It points to the Cardinals either lying about knowing Kyler was the pick months in advance, KK changing his offensive terminology this late in the game, or Kyler struggling to embrace the existing concepts.

The only thing that comes to my mind is a quote from the movie The Rainmaker. It's not the first time that an OC/HC has decided or been instructed to learn the terminology that the players are already familiar with. You are simply a hater and can't get past it.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
this is silly

we are talking about terminology, not, "send me the OU playbook"

so -- if Kyler Murray thinks of a given play as "Spider 3 Y Banana" due to his OU experience, but KK has called it something else -- why not call it "spider 3 Y banana" so that Murray gets it quicker?

Wait, we have a fullback?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
The only thing that comes to my mind is a quote from the movie The Rainmaker. It's not the first time that an OC/HC has decided or been instructed to learn the terminology that the players are already familiar with. You are simply a hater and can't get past it.
Listen, I'm just concerned about our rookie coach with our rookie QB lacking confidence to do anything a head coach should do: namely, run his system, and run both sides of the ball. Can you honestly say you're not even slightly concerned that everything Kliff Kingsbury has done seems to be myopically focused on making Kyler comfortable?

Kliff is striking me as wholly unprepared for the moment. Little-to-no staff that he chose, partying with Tom Brady, asking college coaches that are more qualified than him for terminology... is this not triggering any alarms?

I believe he was OROY and they made the playoffs. You’re mining a dry well.
Something that lasted one year.

RG3 is my most fearful comp for Kyler.

Audibles, we have heard many times... so tell me what "Omaha" means, or does it depend when Peyton said it and why and did the defense ever seem to really grasp that meaning which was used to manipulate because one thought it was a constant truth :)
Peyton's one of the best to shift at the line of all time, and is in the argument for one of the top three best QBs of all time. Kyler has done nothing to prove he has that cerebral mind to the game yet.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Listen, I'm just concerned about our rookie coach with our rookie QB lacking confidence to do anything a head coach should do: namely, run his system, and run both sides of the ball. Can you honestly say you're not even slightly concerned that everything Kliff Kingsbury has done seems to be myopically focused on making Kyler comfortable?

Kliff is striking me as wholly unprepared for the moment. Little-to-no staff that he chose, partying with Tom Brady, asking college coaches that are more qualified than him for terminology... is this not triggering any alarms?

All I see is you looking for any possible negative in every move the Cards are doing. KK is running his system with putting an NFL twist on it and ensuring that his players understand what is going on in the easiest way as possible.

KK decided that SK knows the NFL better than he does ( no duh) and allowed his GM to help him assemble an outstanding coaching staff, don't know how you see this as a negative.

Partying with Tom Brady???????????????????????????/ You are just looking for something to hate.

Asking Riley what he calls a play action pass is not trying to learn how to create an offense, it's simply learning a new language. Again, your take on all of this is pathetic.

Lagerfilled

Professional Tailgater
Reaction score
What is up with the terminal negativity Solar? Do you enjoy being intentionally argumentative about everything or is that just your thing?

I’ve gotta ask why even waste your time following a team, coach, & QB that are so monumentally fubar’d? Must be a miserable existence.

I’m fairly confident that the new QB and terminology we use in 2019, won’t garner worse results than what we all endured in 2018.

Anything positive you can offer on the team?

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I would rather have a coach thinking outside the box and have the guts to try something like this and hope it excelerates the learning curve for Murray or whoever it is, than regurgitate “The system works” comment that produces the same ol crap on the field.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Why would Lincoln Riley actively share this information with someone who could easily be his opponent in a couple of years?

And more importantly, why can't Kyler relay this information to his coach on the concepts he's supposedly mastered?

I'm with LIAC... I don't like this.
Of course you don’t.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Sure, but this is the kind of information you don't just pass along. Especially for a hot coaching candidate like Riley. Honestly, if I were Lincoln, and I got asked for this, I'd intentionally pass along bad information. This is the kind of shared info that can get your offense called at the line by an enterprising defense.

(lol'd @ One Piece though)

That makes me even more concerned. What GM in their right mind is going to come take over this team after we dump Keim? He won't have a coaching choice, or QB choice. Even if this team sucks, you almost have to keep Keim.
Yup you’re right. No one ever wants to take over one of the 32 most coveted front office jobs in the world of sports. That’s been proven time and again when terrible cant fill gm vacancies . . . oh wait, that literally never happens.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Audibles are different from play calls. And audibles literally change every week. Otherwise every team would’ve known what Peyton Manning was going to do every time he yelled “Omaha!” Come on.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
What is up with the terminal negativity Solar? Do you enjoy being intentionally argumentative about everything or is that just your thing?

I’ve gotta ask why even waste your time following a team, coach, & QB that are so monumentally fubar’d? Must be a miserable existence.

I’m fairly confident that the new QB and terminology we use in 2019, won’t garner worse results than what we all endured in 2018.

Anything positive you can offer on the team?
Yeah, I should probably take a break and let up. I'm just finding it really hard to swallow the kool-aid right now. I feel like everyone is being woefully ignorant, but I should let everyone have their fun while hope springs eternal, I guess.

I honestly am kind of enjoying the argument, or I'm at least seeking it out more than I normally would. When I have these conversations with non-Cardinals fans, this is the perspective I'm getting from everyone, and I guess I feel like everyone here is being silly, like I used to be with my positivity.

Once the draft is over, I normally slink away. It does us no good to go in circles until meaningful snaps are taken. You all know how I feel.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are significant complications here, from "why would Riley do that,"

Why did multiple NFL coaches meet with Kingsbury to pick his brain for innovative offensive ideas in recent years? And why didn't he give them nothing but ideas that were doomed to failure?

Kingsbury and Riley are friends. It would be asinine for Riley to feed Kingsbury inaccurate information, and immediately obvious to Kingsbury once he used the terminology with Murray. Do you think Riley wants to see Murray fail in the NFL?

Coaching is a fraternity. Doing a solid for another coach - in a completely different league! - can only help one's career down the line. Knowing the terminology doesn't give the other team an advantage because teams don't hear the opponent's play calls.

to "if the system was so tailor made for Murray, why is Kliff changing up all of his terminology,"

The systems and concepts may be very similar, but the terminology could be different.

to "why doesn't Kyler learn the system like the rest of the team?"

The CBA limits the amount of time coaches can spend with players. But the amount of time Kingsbury can spend talking to Riley is unlimited. It's a much more efficient use of time for Kingsbury to change his terminology to something Murray already knows, then to spend time teaching Murray Kingsbury's terminology. One of them needs to learn new terminology - why not make better use of time and put your rookie QB in the best position to succeed?

These things are all obvious to anyone who has followed football, but you're seemingly being deliberately obtuse here.

...dbs

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Good job by KK. Since everybody has to learn it from scratch anyway, why not give your QB a head start? I love it.

Chip Kelly was stubborn. He had a great offense initially, and then failed to build off it and adapt. Patriots are the best at adapting. You have to adapt in the NFL. Chip Kelly was a great offensive mind, but failed because of his big ego. KK doesn't strike me as such a guy at all.

As for the verbiage, who cares? Hundley backed up Russell Wilson last year. I don't think the Seahawks are worried at all. Players move around between teams all the time and while they have to return the "playbook", they can still write it down on their own while they are there. It's all about shifts and audibles when it comes to keep it secret - and those are changed basically for every single game. It's not the playbook per se, but opponents sniffing out offensive tendencies and unwillingness to adapt that lead to the downfall of stubborn coaches like Chip Kelly.

gamebird98

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Hmmmm.....sounds like he doesn't think Murray can learn a new offense in a timely manner

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Hmmmm.....sounds like he doesn't think Murray can learn a new offense in a timely manner
Wrong. KK is just helping Murray to get in a flow much quicker, which is smart given the limited time coaches have available with players. Why would he insist on his terminology? What matters is the actual play call, not if you call it Dragon, China or Banana...

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
So says you
Come on. This has nothing to do with Murray's ability to pick up a new offense. Who knows when KK actually contacted Riley about this. Both were friends for years, so you can imagine they've been talking to each other about offense and schemes. KK might have picked up some of Riley's terminilogy well before we drafted Murray and installed it right away.

This is what I expect from KK: Get our young franchise QB comfortable quickly and put him in a good situation to succeed, doing what he does best. Being a rookie QB in the NFL is hard enough, let alone if stubborn coaches believe their system works. Ask Rosen and our 2019 coaching staff. I'm excited that KK is building the offense around Murray's strengths. That's the way it should be. So getting that little advantage of your starting QB knowing some terminology before others can't hurt. Will help Murray to grow into a leader as well, knowing some stuff already.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get ready for plenty more hot takes until this team proves they're the world-beaters you all think they are.

Sharing information is one thing - the concepts behind the game? Of course. This is on tape. The actual terminology? We've seen multiple instances of defenses being able to call out plays because they'd broken down the terminology. NFL teams are smart enough to figure this out.
Umm, I think the terminology we are talking about is what they are calling in the huddle. They are not coming to the line and shouting out “ spider 3 y banana”.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Solar, there is a difference between skepticism and negativity. It just seems that no matter what comes up you find a downward twist.

Cardinals announce the are supplying the players with Safeway water. You’d come back the the season is doomed because they should be using Ice Mountain.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose