Watched highlights of first day at rookie mini camp

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Kyler Murray throws very nice passes, has excellent throwing motion & is very accurate. Andy Isabella said today that the passes KM threw to him were the best he's ever had thrown. Obviously he's hyping up his QB but it doesn't sound far fetched. Most players would just say he threw some nice passes or balls that were easy to catch. Obviously there wasn't any big D linemen in his face while passing but the talent is definitely there. I hope he is as electric as the front office thinks he is? Isabella also said KM is very focused which is good to hear.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m really happy to see how Murray handles the press conference. I was a little worried at his very first one but he seems way more relaxed.

Issabella cracks me up. He seems like such a likable kid. The same with Murphy.

Deionte Thompson seems like a beast. Might be the steal of the draft.

Zach Allen seems like a guy that will chew your arm off to make a tackle.

OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I’m really happy to see how Murray handles the press conference. I was a little worried at his very first one but he seems way more relaxed.

I think Steve Keim had one hell of a draft, I have no clue why people have been complaining about it? I'm excited about all of them but can't wait to see the relentless Zach Allen Motor running constantly after ball carriers & QB's.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's a small little thing, but I was impresed by the way Murray handled the football during loosening-up pass drills.

It was so-o smooth. He'd seem to take in each underhanded throw without even looking the ball in and then got rid of the ball in one simple compact motion.

Has an impact on release-quickness and therefore other stuff like tempo, performance under pressure etc.

Other than that, most of the session seemed to focus on stretching and organizational stuff. I agree with slandirac about How Kyler handled the interview.

Other notable aspect of the mini-camp was the ratio of UDFA cuts to signings (more cuts/I would have expected 50-50 players-in to players -out).

OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's a small little thing, but I was impresed by the way Murray handled the football during loosening-up pass drills.

It was so-o smooth. He'd seem to take in each underhanded throw without even looking the ball in and then got rid of the ball in one simple compact motion.

Has an impact on release-quickness and therefore other stuff like tempo, performance under pressure etc.

Other than that, most of the session seemed to focus on stretching and organizational stuff. I agree with slandirac about How Kyler handled the interview.

Other notable aspect of the mini-camp was the ratio of UDFA cuts to signings (more cuts/I would have expected 50-50 players-in to players -out).
I hated to see Bryant Mitchell get cut without even getting to training camp. Why even sign him in the first place if they thought so little of him? I watched his highlight video the day they signed him from the CFL. He seemed to make all the tough catches, high ones & several thrown behind him where he completely turned around & caught them mid stride. Guess that's life in the NFL for some players. They drafted so many WR's he never got a chance to compete. I love the way KM throws the ball, if he stays injury free I think he's gonna give teams fits this season? If that happens & the defense can get back to top 10 once again we have a chance? I think the offense will score quite a bit even if the youth of our New weapons at WR shows in the first handful of games.

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Any idea how Peavy (UDFA CB) doing? He seems an interesting one to watch as he got the PFF 1st team choice opposite Murphy

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Everyone knows that Isabella went to UMASS, right. Same school as Dr. J. but Dr. J didn't play football. And even in BB, Dr. J didn't make many passes.

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
I think Steve Keim had one hell of a draft, I have no clue why people have been complaining about it? I'm excited about all of them but can't wait to see the relentless Zach Allen Motor running constantly after ball carriers & QB's.
Only thing wrong is no O line but that's probably because there really wasnt that many high quality linemen in this years draft at least they didnt reach ie. Levi Brown

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We're drafting different types of players who are best fits for KK's new scheme -

Which makes evaluating players and predicting outcomes practically impossible.

Take Isabella - I'm not sure what special things he brings to the table except that he seems to be a water-bug guy who can make things happen. I can't put my finger on what sets him apart except that, in a differently constructed football environment, my gut says he can be a difference-maker.

We'll just have to wait & see.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

and he had to deal with mosquitos bother him the whole conference

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

:biglaugh::newcards:

Also was very impressed with Deionte Thompson's interview on local radio. Great kid, with a good head on his shoulders.

OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Only thing wrong is no O line but that's probably because there really wasnt that many high quality linemen in this years draft at least they didnt reach ie. Levi Brown
I agree but had they drafted OL with that 4th round pick or before they would've had to go WR again after that anyways. They did do a little to the OL in FA & had they not, our first 2nd round pick may have been an OLman? I love the direction they chose, took care of the skill positions & the defense. Next yrs draft we need to go all in on the OL. One area at a time on the rebuild.

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
I agree but had they drafted OL with that 4th round pick or before they would've had to go WR again after that anyways. They did do a little to the OL in FA & had they not, our first 2nd round pick may have been an OLman? I love the direction they chose, took care of the skill positions & the defense. Next yrs draft we need to go all in on the OL. One area at a time on the rebuild.
I really hope the o line is addressed next year probably will need another OLB as Suggs as great as he is most likely will be gone in 2 years at the most

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
We're drafting different types of players who are best fits for KK's new scheme -

Which makes evaluating players and predicting outcomes practically impossible.

Take Isabella - I'm not sure what special things he brings to the table except that he seems to be a water-bug guy who can make things happen. I can't put my finger on what sets him apart except that, in a differently constructed football environment, my gut says he can be a difference-maker.

We'll just have to wait & see.
Isabella reminds me of Amendola or the other jitterbug types New England seems to come up that just eats adefense alive. Reminds me of all time Cardinals great by the name of Mel Gray similar in size maybe not as fast though

OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I really hope the o line is addressed next year probably will need another OLB as Suggs as great as he is most likely will be gone in 2 years at the most
They should use like their first 3 picks on the OL next yr, unless they sign some big time players for the OL in FA March 2020? Remember, we'll get all that dead cap money back then so we'll have a poo ton to spend. Suggs will play for us 2 yrs for sure, he will play a lot this season regardless of what some fans think, he played 87% of the defensive snaps for the Ravens last season so i see no reason that will change for us.

The Kraken

Veteran
Reaction score
I'm sure there's a good reason, but I can't help but wonder "why?"
They were probably doing their respective installs for the schemes. One of the advantages we have is nobody will have film on our offensive scheme. Sure you could watch Texas Tech tape, but it will not be the same.

I am sure they spent yesterday getting the rookies up to speed so they can seamlessly participate once the vets arrive.

Last edited:

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What about the other receivers and the cornerback?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose