Wow. What Joe Thomas said.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they asked him what it was like to block for a mobile qb. He said playing a wide zone scheme with play action and a lot of boot leg gets the defense running horizontally which buys you 2 or 3 seconds before the defense actually transitions into their pass rush.

A mobile qb masks some of the o- line deficiencies. The hardest thing for a o-lineman to do is to pass protect for a qb who is standing in the same spot every play.

Doesn’t that make you feel better?

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
That is awesome. I have always felt that play-action has a similar effect (assuming the running game is a threat).

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
they asked him what it was like to block for a mobile qb. He said playing a wide zone scheme with play action and a lot of boot leg gets the defense running horizontally which buys you 2 or 3 seconds before the defense actually transitions into their pass rush.

A mobile qb masks some of the o- line deficiencies. The hardest thing for a o-lineman to do is to pass protect for a qb who is standing in the same spot every play.

This coming from a guy who played for a team that won 1 game over 2 seasons. I'll take this statement with a grain of salt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Listened to the David Raih interview on Coaches Corner & it had some interesting insight into offense. Raih mentioned on scramble drills, Tom Clements had given them a set of parameters for how the offense should work in those situtations. He mentioned that it was based on his experiences with Rodgers. Thought it was a interesting tidbit on Clements contributions so far

Last edited:

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Listened to the David Raih interview on Coaches Corner & it had some interesting insight into offense. Raih mentioned on scramble drills, Tim Clements had given them a set of parameters for how the offense should work in those situtations. He mentioned that it was based on his experiences with Rodgers. Thought it was a interesting tidbit on Clements contributions so far
I think Tom Clements is gonna help this offense make the transition to the NFL a whole lot easier. After all he was the OC for the Packers when Aaron Rodgers won the SB. He knows a thing or two about top notch QB's after Rodgers & Favre.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Who were the dual threat QBs Thomas blocked for?

IMO, it’s harder to block for these guys because you can’t be sure where they are and can get holding penalties if you’re at the wrong angle.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

IMO, it’s harder to block for these guys because you can’t be sure where they are and can get holding penalties if you’re at the wrong angle.
I don’t know . I’ve never played football . Joe Thomas has. I’m gonna lean toward his opinion.

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Manziel & RG3 could be on that list even though both didn't do much for Browns

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score

yes. Actually, that makes me feel much better. Thanks for posting this.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Never wanted a draft prospect more than Joe Thomas

And then Adrian Peterson dropped and the Cardinals drafted the buffoon (Levi Brown) who mysteriously had two good seasons and then became incompetent. We will always have that Super Bowl. Everyone gelled and played well together

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You mean a future 1st ballot HOFer?

Bad post is bad.
Just because he was a good player doesn't make him a genius. The guy was a Brown his entire career. 1 winning season, his rookie year, the rest of his career the Browns won more than 5 games once. I'd rather listen to a player who blocked for QB's who actually accomplished something. Also, what of the 2,398 QB's that played for Cleveland during his career would be considered mobile? Manziel? The guy started 8 games. Not exactly a large sample size to base anything on. Facts are funny things aren't they?

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Manziel & RG3 could be on that list even though both didn't do much for Browns
Until last year, the winningest single season QB during Thomas' tenure was Derek Anderson. Let that sink in a while.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Just because he was a good player doesn't make him a genius. The guy was a Brown his entire career. 1 winning season, his rookie year, the rest of his career the Browns won more than 5 games once. I'd rather listen to a player who blocked for QB's who actually accomplished something. Also, what of the 2,398 QB's that played for Cleveland during his career would be considered mobile? Manziel? The guy started 8 games. Not exactly a large sample size to base anything on. Facts are funny things aren't they?

Joe Thomas is a flat out stud....You can't knock him because he played for a crappy team.

Aeneas Williams is a HOF player.... Who also played for a mostly putrid franchise.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
This is why I said Rosen was like blocking for Drew Bledsoe. Maybe not as bad..... but almost as bad. When the D-Line knows exactly where you will be down after down, it must be very hard to keep him upright.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Joe Thomas is a flat out stud....You can't knock him because he played for a crappy team.

Aeneas Williams is a HOF player.... Who also played for a mostly putrid franchise.
Williams went to the green playoffs as a Cardinal. Thomas' teams could barely win 5 games.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Obviously Aeneas doesn’t know anything about defense

-NJCardFan
Really, troll? Where did I even insinuate Thomas doesn't know his position? Everything I said is fact. He's making comments with zero degrees of reference. He's speaking like he played with mobile QB's his entire career when he might have played a handful of games. Not to mention he played for not only a loser organization but an organization who had no intention of winning. No, go ahead and try to dispute anything I said with facts. And I hate to break your heart but your opinion isn't fact.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA