Flight Plan 6.0

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pure conjecture.
Different orgs have differing pecking orders and decision-making processes.

In some, the owner defers to the GM. In others, the HC is given much more inluence. In some cases, it's done by concensus. In other, one or another staffer will serve as tie-breaker. Then there's Washington.

Dunno how the Cards do it. Anyone here actually "know?"

OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Let’s start with the owner going over the GM’s head to hire a head coach and then letting a head coach with no NFL experience use the #1 pick to draft a kid he’s had a man crush on for six years and subsequently jettisoning the QBoF picked the year prior. Additionally, Bidwill is reported to be in charge of everything that pertains to Larry Fitzgerald.

These are moves that show the GM doesn’t have full control or final say over key responsibilities of his own job title.
Steve Keim sends Larry to Bidwill for contract stuff because his family pays for it all.

Last edited:

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Let’s start with the owner going over the GM’s head to hire a head coach and then letting a head coach with no NFL experience use the #1 pick to draft a kid he’s had a man crush on for six years

i see that as wayyyyyyy more Keim than Bidwill

its Keim who was ready to hire Sean McVay when they thought BA was retiring after the 16 season -- and the frequent regret he has expressed about not getting him

its Keim who expresses regret about not drafting Russell Wilson because of height concerns

Kingsbury and Murray are Keim's McVay and Wilson do-overs

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
i take the video with a grain of salt: it shows what the team wants it to show

Keim / MB and KK all knew cameras were rolling and that the footage was going out at some point--

there was 0 chance that it would show -- hypothetically --- Mike B overruling Keim and telling him to draft Zach Allen because Mike B thought he was a nice kid.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Keim never had full control for making the picks then that tells me Arians is really the reason for the sub-par pre-2018 drafts filled with super reaches & loving lone athleticism over technique & instincts.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have to remember this is a production. Bottom line I think it is a culminations of a lot of people within the organization. Bidwill has to be the guy to sign off on everything but I doubt he is the guy that actually decides who we select.

I believe all the teams have the GM’s call the player to let them know they are being drafted. I also think the coach at least has a voice on players he covets. That’s not to say if Kingsbury wanted a guy that is projected to go in the 5th round that keim is going to take him in the second round to appease him.

OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
i see that as wayyyyyyy more Keim than Bidwill

its Keim who was ready to hire Sean McVay when they thought BA was retiring after the 16 season -- and the frequent regret he has expressed about not getting him

its Keim who expresses regret about not drafting Russell Wilson because of height concerns

Kingsbury and Murray are Keim's McVay and Wilson do-overs
Spot on, Bidwill. basically just plays along & signs the checks. If you really pay attention to when they call the players as they are about to draft them, Bidwill Seems very uncomfortable on what he says to them, as if he struggles with what to say. That to me tells me how little about being a talent evaluator Bidwill is & that he just listens to Keim & trusts his judgement. If you can't even hardly talk to them, then I'm pretty sure you're not good at evaluating lol. I would bet money right now that the bad drafts Keim had, was more from the BA input than anything.

Last edited:

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
I don’t know why people keep saying this when the evidence points the opposite direction
I agree. KM was not SK’s pick. Watch the press conference part where he’s not even looking at KM when he’s talking and the awkward hug between he and MB after the pick. You can tell that was MB giving KK what he wanted.

OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I agree. KM was not SK’s pick. Watch the press conference part where he’s not even looking at KM when he’s talking and the awkward hug between he and MB after the pick. You can tell that was MB giving KK what he wanted.
No way dude, listen to Steve Keim talk about watching the game films on KM & the wow plays he makes. Watch him pump his fist when they decide he's their guy. He admitted at first he didn't think about drafting a QB since Rosen was a 1st rounder last yr, until he watched KM make play after play after play on film. KM was definitely a Steve Keim pick.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
No way dude, listen to Steve Keim talk about watching the game films on KM & the wow plays he makes. Watch him pump his fist when they decide he's their guy. He admitted at first he didn't think about drafting a QB since Rosen was a 1st rounder last yr, until he watched KM make play after play after play on film. KM was definitely a Steve Keim pick.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What people are missing was Isabella was going to be the pick if the Phins didn't trade down and he would of went in the original spot. They said they wanted to make the move for Isabella and than a trade down happened and they were all mad.

So when everyone was screaming AJ Brown, he would of been the pick. Cards are stacked with Free Agents and Rookies they love. I could see a big turn around as long as they stay healthy

and I could see there being a paucity of bacon in the world if pigs could fly.

too many perpetually injured players being counted on for major roles... just like last season... and the season before that and the season before that.

OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We have to remember this is a production. Bottom line I think it is a culminations of a lot of people within the organization. Bidwill has to be the guy to sign off on everything but I doubt he is the guy that actually decides who we select.

I believe all the teams have the GM’s call the player to let them know they are being drafted. I also think the coach at least has a voice on players he covets. That’s not to say if Kingsbury wanted a guy that is projected to go in the 5th round that keim is going to take him in the second round to appease him.
Well said my friend, Bidwill just listens & agrees more or less & signs the checks.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This was a live production. The majority of the draft was filmed. Voices were not dubbed. It was edited to make sure the draft board was not shown and some personal conversations were kept confidential. There were beeps when there was profanity. Obviously they were told to watch their language.(BA wold have had a problem). But what you can easily see is Sk running the draft. His top scouts were in the draft room. He is no doubt getting the players for KK's system. MB, as the owner, gives his consent which makes sense. MB is not a Jerry Jones owner who gets way too involved in player personnel decisions. Watching the film, it's also apparent that SK got to know Murray's father during the predraft time frame as he joked with him on KM's introduction visit. SK, KK and MB all agreed on Murray as the pick (ahead of draft day) there was no hesitation on that. The local media here is referring to this show as fact and on how things fell into place with the picks. You can watch the video and certainly keep you own convictions. But the personalities of the big three from my viewpoint are very clear. Just my two cents.

Last edited:

Cardinal

All Star
Reaction score
If Keim never had full control for making the picks then that tells me Arians is really the reason for the sub-par pre-2018 drafts filled with super reaches & loving lone athleticism over technique & instincts.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA