2019 3rd round pick is Zach Allen DE

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Cmon Krang . . . “slightly” less athletic? He doesn’t look a thing like Watt on tape.
That's a good comp to Watt as a prospect. I did the comparison in the other Zach Allen thread. Both win with initial quickness, strong hand usage and non-stop hustle, despite having no bend and looking stiff. Both were labeled as tweeners. Watt is just one inch taller and wasn't much heavier. This guy Allen made 100 tackles in a college season playing DE! Including many TFL and a good amount of sacks. He will succeed.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Cmon Krang . . . “slightly” less athletic? He doesn’t look a thing like Watt on tape.

Watt wasnt the same player coming out. His dedication to training has been legendary.

Dude literally worked out THREE times a day in the offseason.

He is similar in size, motor, and versatility.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Watt wasnt the same player coming out.

Watt was taken top 10 overall in one of the best overall drafts ever -- everyone thought he could be really good

I like Allen the more i watch. I think playing one of the . 3/4 end spots, he could be really good --- at a minimum, his floor is Josh Mauro.

but lets slow down on the JJ Watt comps

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Watt was taken top 10 overall in one of the best overall drafts ever -- everyone thought he could be really good

I like Allen the more i watch. I think playing one of the . 3/4 end spots, he could be really good --- at a minimum, his floor is Josh Mauro.

No he wasnt a top ten pick. He was the 11th pick LOL.

No one thought Watt was going to be as good as hes been. No one.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Floor - IMO - is closer to Frostee Rucker.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Some people don't understand draft prospect comparisons. Of course Zach Allen isn't JJ Watt, JJ Nelson isn't DeSean Jackson, Hakeem Butler isn't AJ Green... but it helps comparing prospects and their (raw) game to famous star players who are known by everybody, so that the majority can understand what type of prospect the player is. I could say Zach Allen compares to Brett Keisel, JJ Nelson compares to Brandon Banks and Hakeem Butler compares to Jaleel Scott - which would leave many people clueless.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Some people don't understand draft prospect comparisons. Of course Zach Allen isn't JJ Watt, JJ Nelson isn't DeSean Jackson, Hakeem Butler isn't AJ Green... but it helps comparing prospects and their (raw) game to famous star players who are known by everybody, so that the majority can understand what type of prospect the player is. I could say Zach Allen compares to Brett Keisel, JJ Nelson compares to Brandon Banks and Hakeem Butler compares to Jaleel Scott - which would leave many people clueless.
But more realistic

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

If he compares to cousin Brett we should all be thrilled to have him

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score

I’ve like the comparison to Watt as well. He’s got wayyyy more skills, tools & athleticism than Mauro ever had imo.

I really believe Allen is going to be a beast on our team. In fact I’ll be shocked if he’s not starting by week 8.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I think he profiles like Calais Campbell. Campbell achieved his ceiling, so I dunno if Allen can get there, but we should anticipate the first few years of Allen to feel like campbells.

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score

I liken him to one of my personal favorite cards Dockett seems quite similar to me