The 2018-2019 Around the NBA thread

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't blame Ty at all. It's already a tumultuous situation there, not allowing him to pick his own assistants just makes it clear how little power he'd have in that organization.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I don't blame Ty at all. It's already a tumultuous situation there, not allowing him to pick his own assistants just makes it clear how little power he'd have in that organization.
That and, as mentioned, he wanted a contract longer than LeBron's three remaining years.

It is clear they are a package and would be surprising if Tyronn would let it go by over that.

But for being forced to pick Jason Kidd as an Assistant, that makes sense.

Hard to believe that the Suns outshined the Lakers in this adventure. Hopefully, it will make
us more desirable than in the past. We're not LaLa Land! :)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's embarrassing. Lue wanted 5 years not to mention the assistant situation.

Are the Lakers being cheap?

Lue and his representatives turned down the Lakers' offer Tuesday, league sources said. The Lakers then on Wednesday offered Lue a deal in the range of three years and $18 million, after which Lue's side pulled out of negotiations.

According to the sources, Lue's camp was seeking a five-year deal with a salary commensurate with a championship résumé.

Beyond an inability to agree on contractual terms, the Lakers had proposed several scenarios involving their preferred candidates for assistant coaches, including Jason Kidd, sources said.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26702963/lakers-lue-end-talks-deal-sources-say

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can see both sides, Lue is still getting paid by the Cavs so why should he take an offer that ties him entirely to LeBron, but at the same time he is ONLY in consideration because of LeBron, no other team even sniffed him this summer. Also, I doubt any coach with survival instinct would want Kidd anywhere near their team, he's pulled power moves that poisoned him with 2 franchises already.

At least we know the Lakers are still being ran terribly. That coaching staff would be destined for drama on par with what their players went through this team.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can see both sides, Lue is still getting paid by the Cavs so why should he take an offer that ties him entirely to LeBron, but at the same time he is ONLY in consideration because of LeBron, no other team even sniffed him this summer. Also, I doubt any coach with survival instinct would want Kidd anywhere near their team, he's pulled power moves that poisoned him with 2 franchises already.

At least we know the Lakers are still being ran terribly. That coaching staff would be destined for drama on par with what their players went through this team.

Lue could probably see the writing on the wall if Jason Kidd was hired as an assistant coach.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Steven A Smith is saying that people in LA are telling Jeannie Buss to trade Lebron. If they do trade Lebron then this offseason will become quite crazy. I don't think we'll see a standstill like in the past when Lebron was a free agent or when Shaq was traded out of LA and ESPN and other sports sites ran with a ton of trade scenarios that pictured Shaq on every team. Lebron doesn't instantly turn a team into a contender anymore. With the Lakers missing the playoffs this last year, he's not even a guaranteed path to the postseason. I'm sure there are teams that don't believe he's worth the headache.

There are 2 trades I'd love to see involving him, I'm not sure which would be better.

One would be sending him to New Orleans for Anthony Davis. That's easy.

The other would be sending him back to Cleveland for Clarkson, Nance, their pick, and probably Tristan Thompson to make salaries work. That would give LA back everything they cleared to make room to sign Lebron and it would also trap Lebron in Cleveland for 3 years. That's one place where I don't think he could pull some sort of power play and sit out without absolutely obliterating his reputation.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steven A Smith is saying that people in LA are telling Jeannie Buss to trade Lebron. If they do trade Lebron then this offseason will become quite crazy. I don't think we'll see a standstill like in the past when Lebron was a free agent or when Shaq was traded out of LA and ESPN and other sports sites ran with a ton of trade scenarios that pictured Shaq on every team. Lebron doesn't instantly turn a team into a contender anymore. With the Lakers missing the playoffs this last year, he's not even a guaranteed path to the postseason. I'm sure there are teams that don't believe he's worth the headache.

There are 2 trades I'd love to see involving him, I'm not sure which would be better.

One would be sending him to New Orleans for Anthony Davis. That's easy.

The other would be sending him back to Cleveland for Clarkson, Nance, their pick, and probably Tristan Thompson to make salaries work. That would give LA back everything they cleared to make room to sign Lebron and it would also trap Lebron in Cleveland for 3 years. That's one place where I don't think he could pull some sort of power play and sit out without absolutely obliterating his reputation.

I think there's another deal that could get done... LeBron to the Sixers for Ben Simmons, picks and whatever salary is needed. Can you sign and trade a player in a deal with other people? Then, I could see Simmons, Harris signed for the Max and picks for LeBron.

That instantly makes Philly the favorite in the East... or at least top 2. a Big 3 of Butler, Bron and Embiid would be pretty damn good, throw in Reddick and another couple shooters and put Lebron back in the East and they're good as gold.

The Celtics could make a good trade for him with their young guys, using Tatum and the Grizzlies or Kings pick as the biggest parts which would put him back with a re-signed Kyrie and some of Boston's great role players and a good coach for once.

i can't see them trading him to anyone in the West.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would a non contender even consider trading for LeBron at this point he's getting old and he's too high maintenance. So yea someone like Philly or Boston who has pieces makes sense he puts them over the top, but for other teams all you would get is a guy who will try to trade some of your key guys.

I'm not talking gambling but LeBron is starting to remind me of Pete Rose. Towards the end of his career Rose was so obsessed with records he was playing himself too much and batting himself 2nd so that he could get more at bats and increase his odds of breaking the all time hits record. There have been fairly substantial stats based studies done on how much harm Rose may have done to some guys careers by playing himself the way he did.

LeBron at this stage is better than Rose but it's similar, he's making decisions to extend his career so he can get the records he wants, like points, instead of letting a team make decisions in the best interest of the franchise. Again to be clear I'm not suggesting LeBron is gambling on basketball he's just using his leverage to put himself in a spot to get records.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why would a non contender even consider trading for LeBron at this point he's getting old and he's too high maintenance. So yea someone like Philly or Boston who has pieces makes sense he puts them over the top, but for other teams all you would get is a guy who will try to trade some of your key guys.

I'm not talking gambling but LeBron is starting to remind me of Pete Rose. Towards the end of his career Rose was so obsessed with records he was playing himself too much and batting himself 2nd so that he could get more at bats and increase his odds of breaking the all time hits record. There have been fairly substantial stats based studies done on how much harm Rose may have done to some guys careers by playing himself the way he did.

LeBron at this stage is better than Rose but it's similar, he's making decisions to extend his career so he can get the records he wants, like points, instead of letting a team make decisions in the best interest of the franchise. Again to be clear I'm not suggesting LeBron is gambling on basketball he's just using his leverage to put himself in a spot to get records.

I wasn't around to watch Pete Rose but Lebron in LA reminds me of Emmitt Smith becoming a Cardinal at the end of his career. They need the gameplan to revolve around them entirely to put up the numbers they did in their primes. Doing that is not going to win very many games either because they can't be ridden like they were in their prime. They can still do their thing and turn back the clock occasionally but that's nothing that can be planned on. His presence keeps the team from developing guys to take over when he calls it quits, and when he calls it quits is debatable, and youngsters won't wait that long. Also by signing with the team he did, winning isn't that important anymore. He's also not enough to help the team become a winner on his own so it's clearly about him more so than his team.

I was trying to think of a similar player to go out like that in the NBA and had trouble thinking of one. I know Kobe hung on too long but at least he stayed true to being a Laker. Most veteran NBA players ring chase but Lebron seemed to give up winning rings by going to LA, he’s chasing records and filling his pocketbook.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

I am all for more female refs and coaches, but the NBA should be about having the best of the best in that regard and if that means more men or more women than that's the way it should be. Never been a fan of the equality of outcome approach.

Also I am pretty sure the 50-50 is only in reference to new referees going forward. Just wants to see more female coaches.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score

I am all for more female refs and coaches, but the NBA should be about having the best of the best in that regard and if that means more men or more women than that's the way it should be. Never been a fan of the equality of outcome approach.

Also I am pretty sure the 50-50 is only in reference to new referees going forward. Just wants to see more female coaches.
I think qualified is implied. I don’t thing stating it as a goal is good, I don’t think it will be forced.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Watching The Jump on ESPN. The rumor now is Kyrie may be open to going to the Lakers and reuniting with Lebron. Also, Jason Kidd is rumored to maybe be the next Lakers coach in order to lure Kyrie there. I think it's Winhorst who was giving the rumors.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Lakers fans protesting outside Staples Center! LMAO! They just showed it on The Jump.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lakers fans protesting outside Staples Center! LMAO! They just showed it on The Jump.

Yup, the Lakers have officially exploded. But where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an Earth-shattering kaboom. Someone forgot to bring the Illudium Q-36 explosive space modulator to the party.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And here are the Lakers fans protesting. It's a welcome change the spotlight is on the Lakers.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
There's a great piece on Zion Williamson on ESPN Sportscenter today. It shows his upbringing and how humble he is. Really want this guy MORE after seeing this piece.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
There's a great piece on Zion Williamson on ESPN Sportscenter today. It shows his upbringing and how humble he is. Really want this guy MORE after seeing this piece.
Yeah. Dudes legit in many ways.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I didn’t see it. But there was already a piece done on him like that before he went to duke. How he’s a church guy and raised by his non biological dad. Seems like a perfect fit for Monty.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Knicks would have to include some first round picks, including this years first round pick for Anthony Davis.

I think they tend to overrate their assets.
Hopefully David Griffin takes the Knicks FO to the wood shed, if a trade does happen between those two teams.:)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Knicks would have to include some first round picks, including this years first round pick for Anthony Davis.

I think they tend to overrate their assets.

It depends. If they win the lottery, they have the assets to interest the Pelicans I believe.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully David Griffin takes the Knicks FO to the wood shed, if a trade does happen between those two teams.:)

The Knicks might be used to it. They have spent considerable time there considering they are a big market.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave