Protecting Murray

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The problem is half of the guys who weren't planned on are still on the roster and the other half of the line are injury prone which will probably result in bringing in some more guys off the street by mid season. In fact you could argue that this collection of linemen is even worse since Wetzel is gone as is Barksdale. I would rather have a rookie who can start 16 games for me and allow him to grow and learn as he plays than depend on a guy who has a history of playing in 6-7 games and ending up on IR and having to start a backup who doesn't have half the talent the rookie has. The line is still a mess. A turd is still a turd no matter how much you shine it up.
Thing is that talent was only one of many problems that hurt the O-line last year. They also appeared to be poorly coached and the playcalling was absolutely horrendous. Better coaching, better playcalling, better luck with injuries and little bit more depth and it is quite possible that the blocking will be far better this year.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Russell Wilson seven months from now. I keep waiting for Wilson to slow down and he hasn't yet.

We'll see. Wilson rushed for less than 400 yards last year and had the fewest attempts of his career. Maybe he's entering the Steve Young phase — we'll see.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Humm Murray is going to be 22 in August.

Wilson turned 24 his rookie year.

2 years younger basically.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The injury factor is so great and the replacement drop off so steep the hope is that running becomes a last resort or occurs in a situation where he can slide down to protect himself. Seattle lost most of a season when Wilson got hurt. It’s not that Murray can’t run but rather he shouldn’t. That’s why quite a few teams shun running QBs.

Exactly! I want Murray to be like Mahomes who can move around but is always looking to get the ball to one of his weapons. Over say Lamar Jackson who is basically a running back who can throw the ball but isn't that accurate.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Exactly! I want Murray to be like Mahomes who can move around but is always looking to get the ball to one of his weapons. Over say Lamar Jackson who is basically a running back who can throw the ball but isn't that accurate.
Jackson is a QB with great running skills who was forced to be the entire offense in college.He got very little QB coaching in college. Still a developing player.Actually had a better completion percentage as a rookie QB in the NFL than he did his first 2 years college.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Lamar Jackson is more in the Cam Newton mold of runners, while Murray is more in the Wilson mold of runners. Jackson and Newton don't seem to try and avoid hits at all which is why Newton is increasingly getting hurt a lot more. Wilson has been dinged up a few times, but it seems to be more related to general wear and tear than all QBs get.

One difference between Wilson and Murray that I can tell is that OU ran more designed runs that I ever saw the Seahawks run.

Murray's game isn't like Mahomes too much, other than their penchant for throwing deep accurately off of unstable platforms and unconventional arm angles. Murray's game is predicated a lot on the threat of the run and I think that is potentially what makes him deadly.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Jackson is a QB with great running skills who was forced to be the entire offense in college.He got very little QB coaching in college. Still a developing player.Actually had a better completion percentage as a rookie QB in the NFL than he did his first 2 years college.

But worse than his SR. year and well below average in general.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
But worse than his SR. year and well below average in general.

His completion percentage could have been better if he had thrown a bunch of Dink's and dunks and had any kind of offensive line and some decent WRs.
He will never be Bart Starr accurate but I expect continued improvement .

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
His completion percentage could have been better if he had thrown a bunch of Dink's and dunks and had any kind of offensive line and some decent WRs.
He will never be Bart Starr accurate but I expect continued improvement .

??? Baltimore has a top ten offensive line. Lamar Jackson is just a limited player that is going to take a few years to even approach average.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
??? Baltimore has a top ten offensive line. Lamar Jackson is just a limited player that is going to take a few years to even approach average.

FYI I was referring to his last year in college. Ravens might have been ranked #10 offensive line last season. But that same offensive line allowed 7 sacks and numerous pressures in the playoff game.IMO your opinion is nonsense .

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Baltimore #9

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

1 LAR 5.49 5.00 68% 13 14.6% 2 1.58 1 0.84 16 6 33 5.4%
2 NO 5.19 4.60 70% 9 14.5% 1 1.28 14 0.77 21 3 20 4.4%
3 NE 5.03 4.24 58% 29 15.9% 4 1.19 21 0.64 25 1 21 3.8%
4 IND 4.83 4.55 59% 28 17.8% 9 1.34 6 0.74 22 2 18 4.1%
5 LAC 4.80 4.91 67% 18 18.4% 16 1.46 4 1.05 7 13 34 6.4%
6 DEN 4.75 4.88 71% 7 18.4% 14 1.42 5 1.01 10 11 34 6.3%
7 GB 4.71 4.70 65% 21 18.1% 12 1.49 2 0.80 20 21 53 7.9%
8 DAL 4.61 4.46 75% 3 17.9% 11 1.31 9 0.87 14 28 56 9.7%
9 BAL 4.59 4.53 78% 1 14.6% 3 1.32 7 0.67 24 8 32 6.1%

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I was listening to 98.7 and the Cards have the most guys signed at OL by a wide margin than any other team heading into training camp. It's something like 19 OL. Plus they have first waiver wire ability. Not saying who we have now is any HOF lineman, but I would have to wager this year's OL cannot be worse than last year's. I mean, last year's was an all time low for the Cards. The bar is set extremely low!

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Lamar Jackson is more in the Cam Newton mold of runners, while Murray is more in the Wilson mold of runners. Jackson and Newton don't seem to try and avoid hits at all which is why Newton is increasingly getting hurt a lot more. Wilson has been dinged up a few times, but it seems to be more related to general wear and tear than all QBs get.

One difference between Wilson and Murray that I can tell is that OU ran more designed runs that I ever saw the Seahawks run.

Murray's game isn't like Mahomes too much, other than their penchant for throwing deep accurately off of unstable platforms and unconventional arm angles. Murray's game is predicated a lot on the threat of the run and I think that is potentially what makes him deadly.

I heard on the Ringer NFL Podcast that Russ hasn't missed a practice since he became a Seahawk. Unreal.

I think that Newton has been the victim of numerous cheap shots that are allowed by the refs because he looks like a Kaiju.

Let's not be silly here. Lamar Jackson might be limited as a passer, but limited players who are far below average don't got 6-1 in the NFL, even with a top defense.

When I was looking up QB running stats yesterday, I was surprised to see that Jackson ranked LAST in QB rushing efficiency by Football Outsiders (DYAR), despite being far ahead in raw yardage totals.

Josh Allen was first, so it wasn't about rushing attempts. It was just that he seemed to be getting yardage that was kind of meaningless?

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
I heard on the Ringer NFL Podcast that Russ hasn't missed a practice since he became a Seahawk. Unreal.

I think that Newton has been the victim of numerous cheap shots that are allowed by the refs because he looks like a Kaiju.

Let's not be silly here. Lamar Jackson might be limited as a passer, but limited players who are far below average don't got 6-1 in the NFL, even with a top defense.

When I was looking up QB running stats yesterday, I was surprised to see that Jackson ranked LAST in QB rushing efficiency by Football Outsiders (DYAR), despite being far ahead in raw yardage totals.

Josh Allen was first, so it wasn't about rushing attempts. It was just that he seemed to be getting yardage that was kind of meaningless?

Jackson is a work in progress and he says so.IMO he probably got more QB coaching last season than he did during all 3 years of college.Raw and talented and knows he has to keep improving.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Wouldnt that SUPPORT that he is limited player?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Wouldnt that SUPPORT that he is limited player?

I don't think so. I doubt there's little question that Lamar Jackson is a FOOTBAW PLAYER. But for the things you probably want him to do as a quarterback, he has some ways to go. But the Ravens aren't really asking him to be Tom Brady.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I don't think so. I doubt there's little question that Lamar Jackson is a FOOTBAW PLAYER. But for the things you probably want him to do as a quarterback, he has some ways to go. But the Ravens aren't really asking him to be Tom Brady.

Lamar Jackson is a football player and a good one. But he is not a good QB. He didn't throw enough passes to qualify under Football Outsiders rankings, but he definitely wasn't very good last year, under probably the best circumstances of the rookie QBs.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
FYI I was referring to his last year in college. Ravens might have been ranked #10 offensive line last season. But that same offensive line allowed 7 sacks and numerous pressures in the playoff game.IMO your opinion is nonsense .

Nonsense? Ok Chief. You pick one game to argue with, I'll use how well Baltimore run blocks and pass blocks over the course of a SEASON. Lamar Jackson's limitations were the reason they gave up so many sacks. Keep him in the pocket a force him to throw and he is terrible. Teams are going to dial up the BAL-SD tape as the way to defend Jackson.

And I like Lamar Jackson, he's going to be a solid QB in the NFL....three years from now. He's the Diet Coke version of Kyler Murray.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Nonsense? Ok Chief. You pick one game to argue with, I'll use how well Baltimore run blocks and pass blocks over the course of a SEASON. Lamar Jackson's limitations were the reason they gave up so many sacks. Keep him in the pocket a force him to throw and he is terrible. Teams are going to dial up the BAL-SD tape as the way to defend Jackson.

And I like Lamar Jackson, he's going to be a solid QB in the NFL....three years from now. He's the Diet Coke version of Kyler Murray.

Kyler Murray hasn`t done poo in the NFL so anything for him is hope and speculation.Thinking that Murray is going to be special is hope and speculation.The NFl will figure out Murray and he will be forced to adapt the same as all rookie QBs do.Jackson admits he is a work in progress.According to the Murray fan club Murray is super-duper transcendent gamechanging QB who won`t get sacked and avoid being tackled....etc;What are you Murrayites going to do when he gets his ass handed to him on regular basis.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Kyler Murray hasn`t done **** in the NFL so anything for him is hope and speculation.Thinking that Murray is going to be special is hope and speculation.The NFl will figure out Murray and he will be forced to adapt the same as all rookie QBs do.Jackson admits he is a work in progress.According to the Murray fan club Murray is super-duper transcendent gamechanging QB who won`t get sacked and avoid being tackled....etc;What are you Murrayites going to do when he gets his ass handed to him on regular basis.

It must be such a sad existence for your favorite team to have a player you doubt so much. Kyler believes in you BW52. Why can't you believe in him? :)

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
QB's like Lamar Jackson are WR killers. You can have great WR's and they eventually get sick of running proper routes and ALWAYS having to break them off for their QB. Lamar is great at running and bad at passing....and that's where Lamar and Murray are VERY different
1st off Murray averaged more yards than Lamar Jackson (when in college) when running the ball
2nd and most important is Murray is 10,000 times the passer Lamar Jackson is

I don't know why some can't let that sink in....
Murray averaged more yards running than freaking Michael Vick. Vick was considered a freak of human nature when he came out for JUST his running ability....AND MURRAY IS BETTER THAN VICK WAS at the exact same time in their lives

Murray also broke 6 all time college records PASSING. He's an incredible thrower

But some still want to hate...say he's not done anything in the NFL....nope but he will...and you should be EXCITED! If your not excited ....something is seriously wrong with you....or maybe your stuck in a bad marriage that's got you depressed :)

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
It must be such a sad existence for your favorite team to have a player you doubt so much. Kyler believes in you BW52. Why can't you believe in him? :)

My existence is fine thank you.Yes I doubt him and the reasons have been gone over and over. I will always be a Cards fan and have been a Cards fan long before you where born but that doesn`t mean I have to like the player.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
QB's like Lamar Jackson are WR killers. You can have great WR's and they eventually get sick of running proper routes and ALWAYS having to break them off for their QB. Lamar is great at running and bad at passing....and that's where Lamar and Murray are VERY different
1st off Murray averaged more yards than Lamar Jackson (when in college) when running the ball

Murray averaged more yards running than freaking Michael Vick. Vick was considered a freak of human nature when he came out for JUST his running ability....AND MURRAY IS BETTER THAN VICK WAS at the exact same time in their lives

Murray also broke 6 all time college records PASSING. He's an incredible thrower

But some still want to hate...say he's not done anything in the NFL....nope but he will...and you should be EXCITED! If your not excited ....something is seriously wrong with you....or maybe your stuck in a bad marriage that's got you depressed :)

This is what happened with Mike Vick's WRs.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score

But some still want to hate...say he's not done anything in the NFL....nope but he will...and you should be EXCITED! If your not excited ....something is seriously wrong with you....or maybe your stuck in a bad marriage that's got you depressed:)

Disagree.:jedi:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA