Looking for a DT

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
It looks like the Bucs will cut Gerald McCoy. He’s too costly to claim but no one else will either, so he’ll likely go to the highest bidder. He’s not the dominant player he once was but he’s very sound and is solid in the clubhouse. The Cards have the money to compete if he gets a one year deal which is likely.

Lagerfilled

Professional Tailgater
Reaction score
It looks like the Bucs will cut Gerald McCoy. He’s too costly to claim but no one else will either, so he’ll likely go to the highest bidder. He’s not the dominant player he once was but he’s very sound and is solid in the clubhouse. The Cards have the money to compete if he gets a one year deal which is likely.

Better than Suh at this stage and likely cheaper.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
what is it about BA where he runs off productive defensive linemen?

Cardsmasochist

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
How much $ do the Cardinals have left after they sign their rookies considering the gazillions in dead cap space?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
They need to buy or trade for a better OLman. Who could we trade that would be valuable enough to another team for them to give up a decent OLman? Personally I would be willing to trade Kirk for an equally young starting OT or other lineman we need.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Better than Suh at this stage and likely cheaper.

Yesterday I heard Steve Weisch on NFL Network talking about Suh. He mentions how remarkable his numbers were in the playoffs vs how pedestrian they were in the regular season. Then to cite what team Suh would be a good fit for, he goes with the Cardinals. After he just talked about Suh being all about the playoffs vs regular season, he couldn't come up with a playoff ready team? What a lousy take just to throw something against the wall to see if it will stick. That sounded like something a producer told him to say.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Hell no to any Kirk trade discussions.

Suh is ring hunting IMO and wont even be an option. Personally..... I think he signs with the Patriots. After that it would be New Orleans IMO

McCoy would be awesome, but I just don't see us bringing in someone like that. We would have to overpay until it is proven that we will be winning for the foreseeable future.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
We certainly need OL help, our line , even healthy, is not even average at best. This has been an Achilles heel for this organization for centuries and it doesn't seem to be changing this year either

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Is Pugh Dead?

Hump - Sweezy - Shipley - Pugh - Gilbert

Garcia, Cole, Gaillard & other OT

I really think we will be much improved just with health. And I think every O-Line needs health to be good. If you think about it...... We could have 4 of our 5 starters be brand new from last year.

In Short..... we need help still, and upgrades would be great. But we probably are going to go from bottom five in the league to around middle of the pack just by (hopefully) being more healthy.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is Pugh Dead?

I really think we will be much improved just with health. And I think every O-Line needs health to be good. If you think about it...... We could have 4 of our 5 starters be brand new from last year.

In Short..... we need help still, and upgrades would be great. But we probably are going to go from bottom five in the league to around middle of the pack just by (hopefully) being more healthy.

nooo, he is just a dead weight

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Is Pugh Dead?

Korey Kunningham played reasonably well. I'd pencil him in as the "other OT".

Joshua Miles has elite traits that you look for in a OT, but played at a small school.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Korey Kunningham played reasonably well. I'd pencil him in as the "other OT".

Joshua Miles has elite traits that you look for in a OT, but played at a small school.
Forgot about him. I was thinking of Miles.

I guess the point is that it may be rosier than anyone in the national media thinks. A 10 to 15 spot improvement will not make us great, but will drastically increase the amount of clean pockets Kyler has.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Forgot about him. I was thinking of Miles.

I guess the point is that it may be rosier than anyone in the national media thinks. A 10 to 15 spot improvement will not make us great, but will drastically increase the amount of clean pockets Kyler has.

The national media usually knows very little about the Cardinals.

The one issue is that multiple players have had issues staying healthy (Humphries, Pugh, and Gilbert). IF they do, this line is decent and has some depth.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We're putting the cart before the horse. Let's see how all our O-line candidates stack up on the same field before annonting any of them starters, backups or roster-casualties. You never know who'll surprise.

Also - Harry - When it comes to McCoy, how much of a factor in these situations are past relationships with ex-Card officials like BA or Licht?

Lagerfilled

Professional Tailgater
Reaction score
I’d bring back Barksdale for RT depth should Gilbert go down for any period. Cunningham can fill in for Hump at LT if/when he misses time.

I don’t know why people keep saying Shipley will win the starting job. I honestly think he gets cut to save $$$ and we go with the winner of Cole and Gaillard at C. Then you have Garcia who can play all three interior positions.

Starters:
LT - Hump
LG - Pugh
C - Cole
RG - Sweezy
RT - Gilbert

Depth:
LT - Cunningham
LG - Garcia
C - Gaillard
RG - Vujnovich / Gossett
RT - Barksdale

That’s a solid, athletic 2-deep with plenty of depth!

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I’d bring back Barksdale for RT depth should Gilbert go down for any period. Cunningham can fill in for Hump at LT if/when he misses time.

I don’t know why people keep saying Shipley will win the starting job. I honestly think he gets cut to save $$$ and we go with the winner of Cole and Gaillard at C. Then you have Garcia who can play all three interior positions.

Starters:
LT - Hump
LG - Pugh
C - Cole
RG - Sweezy
RT - Gilbert

Depth:
LT - Cunningham
LG - Garcia
C - Gaillard
RG - Vujnovich / Gossett
RT - Barksdale

That’s a solid, athletic 2-deep with plenty of depth!
Is carrying 9 OL normal though? Thought 8 was usually it...they may consider going 8 and keeping an extra blocking TE on the roster...no idea though....

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I think Cunningham is the swing OT backing up both positions, they will probably keep another OT on the PS (Probably Miles). I think the versatility of Garcia and Gaillard being able to play multiple interior spots helps them have the edge over others for the active roster too.