Anyone else nervous about next Tuesday?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A week from today is the draft lottery. I always find myself bracing for huge disappointment regarding the lottery. I expect it to go badly, and then I still feel horrible when it goes badly. Last year, of course, was the blissful exception. Just wondering how everyone else is feeling and what you all are thinking.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A week from today is the draft lottery. I always find myself bracing for huge disappointment regarding the lottery. I expect it to go badly, and then I still feel horrible when it goes badly. Last year, of course, was the blissful exception. Just wondering how everyone else is feeling and what you all are thinking.

I'm the opposite, I go in hoping and expecting great results. I've found for me that bracing for disappointment just extends the mourning period. Now, I'm happily convinced we'll get the first or second pick and if it doesn't happen, I'll be miserable for awhile just like I would have had I braced myself for disappointment.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Really anything 1-4 will be fine for me. Sure, most want Zion and many would like Ja, but I think the talent to help us is a little deeper than that.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I'll start getting nervous about it when it actually starts and will start getting extremely nervous when they get to the last 7 picks.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last year was the first time I watched the lottery in years. Luckily I picked a good time to watch. I used to get the results by watching posters react on the forum.

So yes, I get stressed by the lottery but I'm going to watch again this year.

I do feel better the Suns have a new front office that can adapt no matter where the Suns land.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Last year was the first time I watched the lottery in years. Luckily I picked a good time to watch. I used to get the results by watching posters react on the forum.

So yes, I get stressed by the lottery but I'm going to watch again this year.

I do feel better the Suns have a new front office that can adapt no matter where the Suns land.
Yep. That's what I have done. Last year too. I come on dreading that "Well that Sucks" thread title that usually pops up. It was that draft where Atlanta ended up jumping into the top three and taking our pick away (Horford? was it?).

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
I wonder if there is a back up plan to trade a pick/players if we get lower than 3rd. It could still work out well in that case

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. That's what I have done. Last year too. I come on dreading that "Well that Sucks" thread title that usually pops up. It was that draft where Atlanta ended up jumping into the top three and taking our pick away (Horford? was it?).

It's a buffer for sure but I'm not sure it helps.

There was something calming about watching Josh Jackson represent the Suns last year at the lottery. I hope Ayton gives off positive vibes as well.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Heck yeah i'm nervous! Seems like we finally got a break last year, but two years in a row???

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes, very very nervous.

I am really expecting the 6th or 7th pick, because that is what I get in the tankathon sims the most often - and that just isn't good enough.

The one thing that is making me feel better, is I am just getting this vibe that Ja Morant is destined to be a Sun.

My question is if the Suns got the 6th pick, do you think this years and next years 1st rounder would be enough to move up to 2 or 3 to get him? Because I think I would do that, but I'm not sure the team at 2 would.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I like being an optimist, but I am also a realist. The odds are against us getting one of the top two picks.

If we do, that would be great, of course. Then it will be up to management to make the best decision.

If not, Sarver & Jones and their crew are going to have to convince us that they have developed the skill
to fill the Point Guard and Power Forward positions without further delay. Period!!

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yes, very very nervous.

I am really expecting the 6th or 7th pick, because that is what I get in the tankathon sims the most often - and that just isn't good enough.

The one thing that is making me feel better, is I am just getting this vibe that Ja Morant is destined to be a Sun.

My question is if the Suns got the 6th pick, do you think this years and next years 1st rounder would be enough to move up to 2 or 3 to get him? Because I think I would do that, but I'm not sure the team at 2 would.

God, no. Please don't trade away what would then likely be a top 5 pick next year plus the 6th or 7th pick this year for Ja Morant.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like being an optimist, but I am also a realist. The odds are against us getting one of the top two picks.

If we do, that would be great, of course. Then it will be up to management to make the best decision.

If not, Sarver & Jones and their crew are going to have to convince us that they have developed the skill
to fill the Point Guard and Power Forward positions
without further delay. Period!!

That's easier said than done but it gets a lot easier if we can draft Zion. At that point, depending on who is drafting 2nd (or possibly 3rd), we'd have a decent chance at making the kind of offer that would get us Morant. It's arguable whether he's an immediate solution but with his up-side he should be an instant upgrade that plays himself into the position as the season go on.

To trade for Morant's rights it would likely cost us at least 2 of our picks with light or no protection, the Milwaukee pick and TJ Warren but with those additions the last thing we'd need in the near future is another high ranked rookie. If we don't get Zion, I think we're still going to be a little light in one of those 2 positions.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes, very very nervous.

I do not think it would be enough. There are scenarios where Ja could drop to three or even four. It might be possible then, but even then the team trading would have to know that someone they want is available at 5-7. They might do it if we threw in a player they want, but in that scenario, I do not think anyone is going to take less than Mikal Bridges. None of our other young players (outside of Booker and Ayton, which we would not do) would be enough. Maybe, there might be an outside chance that TJ Warren plus our pick, plus a future pick, might do it, but I doubt it.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I do not think it would be enough. There are scenarios where Ja could drop to three or even four. It might be possible then, but even then the team trading would have to know that someone they want is available at 5-7. They might do it if we threw in a player they want, but in that scenario, I do not think anyone is going to take less than Mikal Bridges. None of our other young players (outside of Booker and Ayton, which we would not do) would be enough. Maybe, there might be an outside chance that TJ Warren plus our pick, plus a future pick, might do it, but I doubt it.

Yeah, that is what I am thinking too.

We really need top 3.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have been quite impressed with how tankathons simple evaluation of players based upon positive and negative stats has panned out. Based on that evaluation Zion, Ja, Barrett (to a lesser extend) Bol, and Clarke are the best players in this draft. Bol is a very small sample size of course.

If we end up 5-7 and cannot trade the pick, I would just as well either take Bol or Clarke, or trade down and take one of them. I am not impressed with any of the rest.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have been quite impressed with how tankathons simple evaluation of players based upon positive and negative stats has panned out. Based on that evaluation Zion, Ja, Barrett (to a lesser extend) Bol, and Clarke are the best players in this draft. Bol is a very small sample size of course.

If we end up 5-7 and cannot trade the pick, I would just as well either take Bol or Clarke, or trade down and take one of them. I am not impressed with any of the rest.

I like garland if we get 6 or 7. He reminds me a lot of a poor mans trae young, but he is not really a great fit with our team, nontheless I would take him over trading the pick for Conley.

I don’t want bol at all, there is no way he works on this team, and I don’t think he is going to work in today’s nba period.

Clarke does look good statistically, but with his inability to shoot, and his lack of size, I just have major doubts.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
When the fix is in, what's there to be nervous about? If we get the top pick two years in a row, someone call the ambulance to my house!:eek:

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like garland if we get 6 or 7. He reminds me a lot of a poor mans trae young, but he is not really a great fit with our team, nontheless I would take him over trading the pick for Conley.

I don’t want bol at all, there is no way he works on this team, and I don’t think he is going to work in today’s nba period.

Clarke does look good statistically, but with his inability to shoot, and his lack of size, I just have major doubts.
A 7-2 player who is mobile rebounds blocks shots and is an unreal three point shooter doesn’t work in today’s NBA? He is a perfect pf in today’s game and he would be just fine as a pf on this team.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A 7-2 player who is mobile rebounds blocks shots and is an unreal three point shooter doesn’t work in today’s NBA? He is a perfect pf in today’s game and he would be just fine as a pf on this team.

I'm not sure I agree about his potential but regardless, I wouldn't touch him for the same reason I'd avoid Garland. And Garland is a lot closer to being a sure thing in the NBA.

I just don't believe it ever makes sense to take a player with damaged knees, feet or spine. BB's body type is already a red flag. Note that I am not saying he can't have a nice long career but given that the odds are already long for most players, willingly assuming increased risks makes no sense for me when drafting in the top 10 or so. I might rush to make the pick if we're drafting in the mid-late teens but I don't like that risk at or near the top of the draft.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

a 7-2 mobile player, who's skinny as a pole and already has foot problems? no f'n way.