2019 1st round pick is QB Kyler Murray

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
LOL average is an upgrade over Rosen :p

I don't think he CAN be average. He's either going to suck golfballs through garden hoses, or he's going to be really good.

I don't care about Mayfields alcohol incident, he's a kid and kids do things like that. What I cared about was the profanity laced tirades at opposing teams fans and his general assholishness. IMO Mayfield is going to continue being a dick because people are going to allow him to be a dick.
Cool, Mayfield isn't our QB, so I don't care. Neither is Rosen, so I don't care.

We've hitched our wagon to Kyler, and if it doesn't work out, we're stuck with two years of bad football. Such is life. We are where we are, but I'm bracing myself for the car crash next year when Keim's job is coming to an end, and we have to try to find a GM who is okay with being all Air Raid.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Or, if you read his version of the events, he got hurt, Kliff ghosted him, and it led to a bunch of bad blood between the two, which led to his transfer. That's why I am a little more understanding - it sounds like KK messed it up.

And Webb outplayed him, which objective facts (stats) supports.

In Kyler's case, if he was as "elite" as is being said, why didn't he win the competition for the role? Why didn't he keep the job after Allen's injury? Part of the bigger picture.

Competition against Mayfield? Mayfield was coming off a really good season, so there wasn't a competition. That's unreasonable to even suggest that.

And why didn't he keep his job? I don't know, ask Sumlin because Sumlin didn't even tell those two. That's why both of them transferred, they were sick of Sumlin's BS.

Good for him for wanting to play. Bad on him for also signing a contract with another sport and then backing out.

LOL Ok chief. Same ridiculous argument again, I see. You are incapable of seeing any reason, and you hold Kyler Murray to ridiculous standards. If my son, Krangthebrain Jr. was a multi star athlete and he was drafted to play in MLB but he loved football, I would tell him to do the exact same thing. Sign the baseball contract, but chase the sport you love.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I have a very common sense question. Let's say Murray played another year at Oklahoma to show a 'greater body of work', what would have changed? Nothing, he just would have had another insane statistical season and a wasted year if his objective is to be a pro. For what he was asked to do and would have been asked to do again, he made look like child's play. We would have found out nothing new about him with more years playing in college... there would have been no resolution and the only way to find out is to see how he transfers his game as a pro, and Kingbury buffers the gamble with a complimentary offense

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
And Webb outplayed him, which objective facts (stats) supports.

Competition against Mayfield? Mayfield was coming off a really good season, so there wasn't a competition. That's unreasonable to even suggest that.

And why didn't he keep his job? I don't know, ask Sumlin because Sumlin didn't even tell those two. That's why both of them transferred, they were sick of Sumlin's BS.

LOL Ok chief. Same ridiculous argument again, I see. You are incapable of seeing any reason, and you hold Kyler Murray to ridiculous standards. If my son, Krangthebrain Jr. was a multi star athlete and he was drafted to play in MLB but he loved football, I would tell him to do the exact same thing. Sign the baseball contract, but chase the sport you love.
Pfft. Kyler's dad told him to go play the sport that would make him the most money the fastest. Not "the love of the sport."

Considering most of your answers to me are "ridiculous" or "incorrect," or some other form of a non-answer, I'm not sure what else to say.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Pfft. Kyler's dad told him to go play the sport that would make him the most money the fastest. Not "the love of the sport."

Considering most of your answers to me are "ridiculous" or "incorrect," or some other form of a non-answer, I'm not sure what else to say.

I wish I could do something which I did not love and excel like Kyler. Nothing like winning three straight Texas top division state titles and then the Heisman, leave A&M because you did not like the scenery because it was not about football, and then win the Heisman as a passing fancy :)

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No, it's a puzzle piece in the big picture. Sorry. It's relevant to the overall story.
Seemingly a piece to your puzzle only..imo. I think if these were legit red flags that you're throwing out there, Murray fanboy or not, would have no issue discussing them and admitting they exist. But I think your distain for the pick in general makes your take a little too biased. Jmo

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wish I could do something which I did not love and excel like Kyler. Nothing like winning three straight Texas top division state titles and then the Heisman, leave A&M because you did not like the scenery because it was not about football, and then win the Heisman as a passing fancy :)
Don't we all? As I've stated many times.. this kid is on another level talent wise that I don't think most of us can ever understand or truly appreciate. You don't do something that has never been done before(drafted in first round of two sports) and just think of him as any ole other athlete.. imo

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I have never heard even rumors that Murray is a "bad" kid, and we all know my overall opinion of him and what he is going to do in this league. I think it is a reach.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Where did you hear this? Any source or did you just pull this out of your ass?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Where did you hear this? Any source or did you just pull this out of your ass?
For me, I can't day that Murray's dad told him to play football, but I can say that I feel that he chose football for the money. Specifically when he stated that he would not have entered the draft if he was not going to be a first round pick.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
For me, I can't day that Murray's dad told him to play football, but I can say that I feel that he chose football for the money. Specifically when he stated that he would not have entered the draft if he was not going to be a first round pick.

I get the feeling that it's more of a 1A and 1B situation. He'd be stupid to walk away from $15 million. And he would be stupid to not go to the NFL if he was going to be a 1st round pick.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think that just means money played a role in equalizing the opportunities. Absent being a first round pick football wouldn’t have guaranteed as much money as baseball. For instance the difference between N’Keal Harry and Byron Murphy is like $10.5M to $7M. That first round salary is a lot closer to the A’s promised $14M than the 2nd round pick. Let’s not forget, these are athletes who may have narrow windows to make as much money as possible. Granted he’s going to make a lot more being the first overall pick. But we can only guess what his decision would be if he was chosen by the Pats. If he was chosen by the Pats and stood to make less than with the A’s and still chose football it would be clear. I believe this still would have been his choice. You can obviously disagree.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think that just means money played a role in equalizing the opportunities. Absent being a first round pick football wouldn’t have guaranteed as much money as baseball. For instance the difference between N’Keal Harry and Byron Murphy is like $10.5M to $7M. That first round salary is a lot closer to the A’s promised $14M than the 2nd round pick. Let’s not forget, these are athletes who may have narrow windows to make as much money as possible. Granted he’s going to make a lot more being the first overall pick. But we can only guess what his decision would be if he was chosen by the Pats. If he was chosen by the Pats and stood to make less than with the A’s and still chose football it would be clear. I believe this still would have been his choice. You can obviously disagree.

The path to make a major league roster is crazy, and then the MLB teams do a lot to limit how much players can make.

Murray would have to be an amazing baseball player to make nearly what he'll make in the NFL.

The fact that he stuck around OU AFTER being drafted shows what he thinks of football.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I get the business reason, but I just wonder if there has ever been a great QB who chose football because of the money. When I think of quotes from the best QBs, they all seem littered with a love and passion for football.

When I think of great QBs in today's game, I think of Brady (6th round), Brees (2nd), and Russ (3rd) and those guys wouldn't let their draft position stop them from being a great QB.

When I think of guys for who football did not seem like their first priority I think of Cam, RGIII, J Russell, Jeff George, and Johnny Manziel and that lack of focus and priority is what I think kept them from being great.

My overall worry is that a guy who chose football for the financials will have the same loss of focus and priority which will cause him to fail despite tremendous athletic ability.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
My overall worry is that a guy who chose football for the financials will have the same loss of focus and priority which will cause him to fail despite tremendous athletic ability.

Supposedly, Murray is ultra driven. On a whole different level than most people. Crazy competitive.

I don't see a guy like him "losing focus". Watch three minutes of game film of him and you see a kid who seems pretty damn focused.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Supposedly, Murray is ultra driven. On a whole different level than most people. Crazy competitive.

I don't see a guy like him "losing focus". Watch three minutes of game film of him and you see a kid who seems pretty damn focused.
I don't think choosing the NFL was a money decision whatsoever. If money was his primary concern than he would have never played at OU last year and would have just started his baseball career. He played football last year simply because he wanted to give his dream of playing in the NFL one more chance and once it became clear that having a career as an NFL QB was a real option he opted out of baseball. All of that very much sounds like someone that just loves to play football and jumped at the opportunity to keep playing it when it was presented to him.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

Krang, after watching the kid closely for a couple of years, that's honestly my impression too. I would never have been so adamant about Murray if I didn't think he was wired right.

I think he's quiet, but still has the fire in his stomach (so to speak).

I guess the primary evidence of this is that when OU was down (versus Tech, UT and AL), the kid never once hung his head, or showed any kind of frustration with his teammates or coaches, or anything like that.

Instead, he took his game to the next level (I guess by sheer force of will), put the team on his back, and led spirited comebacks in all three games.

And you would never see Kyler jiving around after a loss, or too much before a game. Good student too...

His character/personality are still a bit of mystery since he shies away from the spotlight.

But everything that I've seen leads me to believe that he's a hard worker that loves to win, and hates to lose.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

We will see. I heard the same stuff when RGIII was taking endorsement deals prior to the season starting. I know they are different players, but I have similar worries about Murray that I did with RGIII.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I don't think choosing the NFL was a money decision whatsoever. If money was his primary concern than he would have never played at OU last year and would have just started his baseball career. He played football last year simply because he wanted to give his dream of playing in the NFL one more chance and once it became clear that having a career as an NFL QB was a real option he opted out of baseball. All of that very much sounds like someone that just loves to play football and jumped at the opportunity to keep playing it when it was presented to him.
When dude says that he would have not declared for the draft if he wasn't going to be a first round pick...it is a money decision.