Filling the PG hole this Offseason

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If VanFleet becomes available via trade, I would settle for him if it allowed us to keep our core guys in tact.
NOt interested at all. The last thing we need is another mediocre point guard. Tyler is better IMO. He is a better defender and he takes care of the ball well.

That is my test. If the player is not SIGNIFICANTLY better than Tyler, there is no point.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
NOt interested at all. The last thing we need is another mediocre point guard. Tyler is better IMO. He is a better defender and he takes care of the ball well.

That is my test. If the player is not SIGNIFICANTLY better than Tyler, there is no point.

As a point guard, VanVleet is significantly better than Tyler. Simply put, at least VanVleet is actually a point guard. Tyler is not.

Last edited:

Dr dumas

Veteran
Reaction score
As a point guard, VanVleet is sognificantly better than Tyler. Simply put, at least VanVleet is actually a point guard. Tyler is not.
So if a player is deemed a point guard by definition, they are automatically better than TJ?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a point guard, VanVleet is sognificantly better than Tyler. Simply put, at least VanVleet is actually a point guard. Tyler is not.

I think you spin things around a bit. VanVleet is a good backup point guard. Tyler Johnson is a combo guard that can fill a similar role.

Neither player should be permanent starters. The advantage for Tyler, he is under contract.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why go spend money on another used car that is the same year, similar mileage and similar condition to the one you have? Might as well just keep the one you have. If you are going to take all the time and energy--upgrade.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Why go spend money on another used car that is the same year, similar mileage and similar condition to the one you have? Might as well just keep the one you have. If you are going to take all the time and energy--upgrade.
What if I can only afford a certain class of automobile? I want a Tesla, but I own an old Kia Rio.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What makes someone a PG? According to Basketball Reference, Johnson has played as a PG 60% of the time he's been on the floor over the last 4 seasons. He played PG 91% of last season before the trade to Phoenix, where he played 100% of the time at PG. Over his entire career he's played PG 55% of the time he's been on the floor, so that's more often than not that he's playing PG.

Of course you're arguing with someone who will never come close to admitting he's wrong even when coaches, other players, professional analysts, and front office executives all say Johnson is a point guard or a combo guard.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/johnsty01.html

You must be registered for see images attach

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course you're arguing with someone who will never come close to admitting he's wrong even when coaches, other players, professional analysts, and front office executives all say Johnson is a point guard or a combo guard.

Yeah, I have no idea if he'd admit to being wrong but I don't expect to see it often because he doesn't actually believe very much of what he posts. He's knowledgable and intelligent yet posts some of the most bizarre statements we've ever seen. He's clearly posting to either try and encourage conversation or he's simply trying to create conflict and sow discord. There's some truth in what he says but no one on this planet could have reasonably made a hundred posts or so equating Morant to Canaan.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
What if I can only afford a certain class of automobile? I want a Tesla, but I own an old Kia Rio.

That's different than trying to make a non-motorized bicycle do the same things as a car...

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
What makes someone a PG? According to Basketball Reference, Johnson has played as a PG 60% of the time he's been on the floor over the last 4 seasons. He played PG 91% of last season before the trade to Phoenix, where he played 100% of the time at PG. Over his entire career he's played PG 55% of the time he's been on the floor, so that's more often than not that he's playing PG.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/johnsty01.html

You must be registered for see images attach

And Johnson has been statistically HORRIBLE (not to mention horrible to the eye and in terms of team play) when he has played the point. Or are you just going to gloss over that point?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I have no idea if he'd admit to being wrong but I don't expect to see it often because he doesn't actually believe very much of what he posts. He's knowledgable and intelligent yet posts some of the most bizarre statements we've ever seen. He's clearly posting to either try and encourage conversation or he's simply trying to create conflict and sow discord. There's some truth in what he says but no one on this planet could have reasonably made a hundred posts or so equating Morant to Canaan.

this is so ridiculous. You, Hoop and others SHREDDED 1sun ALL SEASON long, even though he ended up being proved right on almost everything complained about at the beginning of the season and most of you are LOATHE to ever admit you're wrong.

I get that 1sun is annoying because he posts the same thing over and over again. I get that you and others are beyond annoyed with him because you scoffed at almost everything he posted (being atrocious, having zero PG, communication issues with Igor, lack of passion) and ALL of those things were proven true. But the above the above is Trump-esque levels of denial, accusing a guy who never admits he's wrong when you and others have done the same for YEARS. I mean, you tried to wiggle out of the ridiculous "Igor may be the greatest Suns coach of all time" thing with such semantics that I couldn't believe you even typed it.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is so ridiculous. You, Hoop and others SHREDDED 1sun ALL SEASON long, even though he ended up being proved right on almost everything complained about at the beginning of the season and most of you are LOATHE to ever admit you're wrong.

I get that 1sun is annoying because he posts the same thing over and over again. I get that you and others are beyond annoyed with him because you scoffed at almost everything he posted (being atrocious, having zero PG, communication issues with Igor, lack of passion) and ALL of those things were proven true. But the above the above is Trump-esque levels of denial, accusing a guy who never admits he's wrong when you and others have done the same for YEARS. I mean, you tried to wiggle out of the ridiculous "Igor may be the greatest Suns coach of all time" thing with such semantics that I couldn't believe you even typed it.

That just isn't true. We didn't shred him for saying we needed a point guard, we reacted to the comments that he'd sneak into most of those posts. I took issue with his claim that if we didn't bring in a good point guard it would set Booker, Ayton and Bridges back 5 years so we should just trade them all right away. That's what I'm talking about with him, there's truth in his posts but then he throws things like that into the conversation. And if you go back and read all of those, I predicted this would happen. That posters would accuse us of disagreeing with his claim that we needed a point guard when we were really reacting to his other comments. Don't believe me? Go back and read them.

And I didn't try to wiggle out of anything. I meant it exactly as I said, words matter right? I said, in many posts, that I had no idea if he was a good coach or a bad coach. I absolutely meant that I wouldn't have been surprised if he ended up being the best coach we've had. There was nothing in that post to suggest I was predicting he'd be the best coach, I meant it precisely as I said it. If that's not clear, I meant I could see it happening, nothing more. I certainly thought it had a better chance of happening thanI did that we'd fire him.

I think I posted once, maybe twice on the communication problems but I honestly thought that was BC's stance, not someone else's. I know I didn't ridicule anyone for it, I just disagreed. I did disagree several times with 1Sun about us having the worst PG situation ever and in hindsight I'd say he got that one right. I knew it was bad but it was worse than I expected unless you throw Booker into the mix. Without Devin, it probably was the worst overall PG situation ever.

And I actually don't find him annoying other than I just don't believe he truly believes everything he posts. Read through every single one of his posts and tell me you still think I'm wrong. And BTW, read through every single one of my posts and tell me you still think I shredded him all season long. For the most part, I just ignored him.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's what I want to know watching the playoffs... how could this team not even make a move for a guy like George Hill in the summer or during the beginning of the season before he was traded to the Bucks? I mean, there was A LOT of drake in that trade, with a Bucks 1st rounder going out. We couldn't have beaten that deal?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Here's what I want to know watching the playoffs... how could this team not even make a move for a guy like George Hill in the summer or during the beginning of the season before he was traded to the Bucks? I mean, there was A LOT of drake in that trade, with a Bucks 1st rounder going out. We couldn't have beaten that deal?

Funny you mention that. I proposed trading for George Hill as a stop-gap as early as last preseason...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Suns didn't fire McDonough until October 8, 2018. Who knows what he had planned for a point guard. They spent their free agency money on Trevor Ariza.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
That just isn't true. We didn't shred him for saying we needed a point guard, we reacted to the comments that he'd sneak into most of those posts. I took issue with his claim that if we didn't bring in a good point guard it would set Booker, Ayton and Bridges back 5 years so we should just trade them all right away. That's what I'm talking about with him, there's truth in his posts but then he throws things like that into the conversation. And if you go back and read all of those, I predicted this would happen. That posters would accuse us of disagreeing with his claim that we needed a point guard when we were really reacting to his other comments. Don't believe me? Go back and read them.

And I didn't try to wiggle out of anything. I meant it exactly as I said, words matter right? I said, in many posts, that I had no idea if he was a good coach or a bad coach. I absolutely meant that I wouldn't have been surprised if he ended up being the best coach we've had. There was nothing in that post to suggest I was predicting he'd be the best coach, I meant it precisely as I said it. If that's not clear, I meant I could see it happening, nothing more. I certainly thought it had a better chance of happening thanI did that we'd fire him.

I think I posted once, maybe twice on the communication problems but I honestly thought that was BC's stance, not someone else's. I know I didn't ridicule anyone for it, I just disagreed. I did disagree several times with 1Sun about us having the worst PG situation ever and in hindsight I'd say he got that one right. I knew it was bad but it was worse than I expected unless you throw Booker into the mix. Without Devin, it probably was the worst overall PG situation ever.

And I actually don't find him annoying other than I just don't believe he truly believes everything he posts. Read through every single one of his posts and tell me you still think I'm wrong. And BTW, read through every single one of my posts and tell me you still think I shredded him all season long. For the most part, I just ignored him.

Regarding my stance, I wondered why throughout the season, Steve, you were sticking with Igor. I couldn't figure out if you were doing so because he was all we had, which is admirable.

Or if you did not see the writing on the wall, which would have been surprising considering your thorough basketball knowledge and how well you articulate it. I mean that as a compliment. :thumbup:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regarding my stance, I wondered why throughout the season, Steve, you were sticking with Igor. I couldn't figure out if you were doing so because he was all we had, which is admirable.

Or if you did not see the writing on the wall, which would have been surprising considering your thorough basketball knowledge and how well you articulate it. I mean that as a compliment. :thumbup:

I saw things I didn't like but I couldn't tell whether it was coaching related or the result of a roster lacking continuity and functional veteran play. And I still don't know how much of our problems were coaching versus roster.

By January I was regretting the hire but still not enough to think he should have been fired. To me, we'd gone through so many coaches so quickly that I didn't think firing another one was the right way to go even if we now had second thoughts about hiring him. I still felt that way when we did fire him, my opinion didn't change until we started hearing comments from the players.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I saw things I didn't like but I couldn't tell whether it was coaching related or the result of a roster lacking continuity and functional veteran play. And I still don't know how much of our problems were coaching versus roster.

By January I was regretting the hire but still not enough to think he should have been fired. To me, we'd gone through so many coaches so quickly that I didn't think firing another one was the right way to go even if we now had second thoughts about hiring him. I still felt that way when we did fire him, my opinion didn't change until we started hearing comments from the players.

Given how the players interacted with Igor and responded (or, rather, didn't respond) to him as the season progressed, how is that you were surprised by the comments you heard recently from the players (or that you somehow hadn't already figured out that they felt precisely that way)?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Given how the players interacted with Igor and responded (or, rather, didn't respond) to him as the season progressed, how is that you were surprised by the comments you heard recently from the players (or that you somehow hadn't already figured out that they felt precisely that way)?

Teams lose, players complain. Teams lose a lot, players complain a lot. And not all the comments were negative, there were plenty of positive comments from them. All together, I thought the chemistry was pretty strong as the season closed so yes, I was surprised that several of them commented about his lack of control and the difficulty of understanding him and what he wanted. And they seemed to like Koko himself as the comments were almost apologetic in nature (the ones I heard about).

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I never stopped liking Igor. I was discouraged he was fired. But he is gone now and there is nothing I can do about it. Monty seems like a great guy and I am rooting for him. I want to see this team succeed and I hope he will help them do it. Having all the national media say this organization has turned around now is really odd. It seems that it is not that Igor was fired and Monty hired, but rather that Monty chose the Suns over the Lakers. That seems like a flimsy basis for such an evaluation.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I never stopped liking Igor. I was discouraged he was fired. But he is gone now and there is nothing I can do about it. Monty seems like a great guy and I am rooting for him. I want to see this team succeed and I hope he will help them do it. Having all the national media say this organization has turned around now is really odd. It seems that it is not that Igor was fired and Monty hired, but rather that Monty chose the Suns over the Lakers. That seems like a flimsy basis for such an evaluation.

Yogi Berra once said, "Baseball is 90 percent mental. The other half is physical." He got half of it right. :)

Sports is indeed psychological ... and emotional. I suggest there is nothing "flimsy" about that being part of
the evaluation once the decision was made that Igor didn't fit.

Having Monty choose us over the Lakers, despite our embarrassing decade, is indeed hope for a turnaround.

Keep the faith, Baby! :thumbup:

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score

I only ripped him for his morant-isiah cannan comparison but since he retracted that after the tournament I'm good with his other comments

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave