What Cardinal moments of 'ugh' stick most in your memory

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Bitter sweet. Opening day 1979 against the Cowboys. OJ Anderson's rookie debut where he rushed for 193 yrds. Cards lost 22-21 after their kicker missed a 60 yrd fg as time expired. Kick fell about 1-2 yards short.

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The infamous Denny Green post-game meltdown game, MNF against the Bears, 2006. First year of Jiffy Pop stadium. Season had started out somewhat promising - Leinart was looking good, Larry just entering his 3rd year, brand new stadium, future looking bright. My first year as season ticket holder. Then.. the meltdown. We were in traffic leaving the game listening to Denny's infamous speech.

Runner-up - going to a Cards/Chargers game in San Diego, I think it was 2011, whichever year Derek Anderson was imitating an NFL QB and doing a very poor job of it. Absolutely sucked out loud in that game, lobbing INTs all over the field, and the Cards were getting blown out early.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
The Monday Night Meltdown.

+1.

Followed by the passing of Terrell Suggs.

Followed by the trading of Anquan Boldin for what amounted to a lot of nothing.

The Victor Cruz fumble that wasn't (even though that team went on to beat the unbeaten Patriots)

The Antrel Rolle stepping in front of Fitzgerald on the Harrison INT return at the Superbowl.

The fact we PASSED on 2nd & 1 that least to the INT return at the Superbowl.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh yea not game but cards drafting buster levi brown over future hall of Famer adrian Peterson sucked bad also

Lol a lot of bad times for us cards fans

Hope it improves with Murray...

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yep. One of the worst walk outs ever. And there's been a lot.

Yes. We had these two drunk Bears fans sitting behind us all night. They kept calling us names and cussing. They shut up as the score got worse and worse. Then, after the melt down, it was bad. By far the most uncomfortable I was walking out.

But, really, there is no worse feeling in my Cardinals fandom than the Superbowl losing catch. Especially, since only a few minutes before, watching Larry score that TD was one of the highest most elated moments. It was such an emotional crash. Rough.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watching Q get his face broken.

McNabb beating us with a broken ankle.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are all horrific; what about that Titans game a number of years back where Vince Young went down the field at will to win the game? That one still sticks out in my mind as well.

We were at that game in Tennessee and had the lead with 2:37 left before the final 99-yard drive. Same time left on the clock as in the Super Bowl the season before. Those are the only two road games we have ever been to...

Reaction score
The Monday Night Meltdown.

Until the Super Bowl happened, everyone I knew brought that up to rip me apart.

It was a brutal walk out of the stadium that night... Ughhhh

Yep. One of the worst walk outs ever. And there's been a lot.

The infamous Denny Green post-game meltdown game, MNF against the Bears, 2006. First year of Jiffy Pop stadium. Season had started out somewhat promising - Leinart was looking good, Larry just entering his 3rd year, brand new stadium, future looking bright. My first year as season ticket holder. Then.. the meltdown. We were in traffic leaving the game listening to Denny's infamous speech.

Yes. We had these two drunk Bears fans sitting behind us all night. They kept calling us names and cussing. They shut up as the score got worse and worse. Then, after the melt down, it was bad. By far the most uncomfortable I was walking out.

Monday Night Meltdown - like watching a car crash in slow motion, unable to do a damn thing about it!

At the end of the game we were stunned and sat there in our seats for a long while as if unable to move! It was surreal; like we couldn't have possibly seen what we just witnessed. Also, I didn't want to jostle through the groups of celebrating Chicago fans, I likely would have found trouble!

Finally we rose and began making our way out of the stadium, making it to the bottom of our section, sitting down in a front row seat as the Denny Green post game comments came up on the big screen!

"They are who we thought they were. . . "

I still shake my head thinking about that game! It couldn't have really happened that way, could it?

Last edited:

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buddy Ryan running it up the middle against Atlanta as time expired on the goal line to finish 8-8

jfoss15

Reaction score
Santonio Holmes for sure.... happened right in front of me... last pic I took that night right before the "catch". :thud:

You must be registered for see images attach

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The Denver game last year when I left in the first quarter. No matter what anyone says I did NOT go to Bourbon Street to heal my sorrows. Nope. Didn't happen.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Biggest was that Super Bowl winning "two feet not in" TD that won it for Pittsburgh.

And, any game any of the following started, in no particular order:

Ryan Lindley
Max Hall
Derek Anderson
Dave Brown
Kent Graham
Stan Gelbaugh
Dave Kreig
Cliff Stoudt
Jay Schroeder
John Skelton
Jim McMahon
Jeff Blake
Matt Leinart
Blaine Gabbert
Sam Bradford
Josh Rosen
Shaun King
John Navarre
Stoney Case
Brian Hoyer
Gary Hogeboom
Tom Tupa

Ugh!

On the bubble: Josh McCown, Kevin Kolb, Drew Stanton and Steve Beurlein.

Injurie riddled Timm Rosenbach had a chance and Chris Chandler was a pretty good QB but injury prone, especially concussions.

Kind of leaves you with Neil Lomax, Jake Plummer, Kurt Warner and Carson Palmer as the pick of the litter for the Phoenix/Arizona Cardinals.

Just my opinion, of course. Some will love a few on my "Ugh!" list. That's cool ;-)

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Watching Q get his face broken.
I was at that game and was sitting in that endzone although I had already left by then.

My 'ugh' moments:

Neil O'Donahue missing a 19 yard FG on MNF against the Giants in overtime. We tied 20-20.

Being there to watch the abysmal 10-10 tie against the Eagles.

Thanksgiving Day 1977

James Harrison's 100 yard int return(I mean no one could catch him?).

2015 NFC Championship game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Max Hall went to BYU. My principal at the time was a BYU alumni. He was so excited after that first Max Hall game. He kept telling me what a great QB we had.

Fast forward to a couple years ago, Max Hall was arrested for selling drugs.

Biggest was that Super Bowl winning "two feet not in" TD that won it for Pittsburgh.

And, any game any of the following started, in no particular order:

Ryan Lindley
Max Hall
Derek Anderson
Dave Brown
Kent Graham
Stan Gelbaugh
Dave Kreig
Cliff Stoudt
Jay Schroeder
John Skelton
Jim McMahon
Jeff Blake
Matt Leinart
Blaine Gabbert
Sam Bradford
Josh Rosen
Shaun King
John Navarre
Stoney Case
Brian Hoyer
Gary Hogeboom
Tom Tupa

Ugh!

On the bubble: Josh McCown, Kevin Kolb, Drew Stanton and Steve Beurlein.

Injurie riddled Timm Rosenbach had a chance and Chris Chandler was a pretty good QB but injury prone, especially concussions.

Kind of leaves you with Neil Lomax, Jake Plummer, Kurt Warner and Carson Palmer as the pick of the litter for the Phoenix/Arizona Cardinals.

Just my opinion, of course. Some will love a few on my "Ugh!" list. That's cool ;-)

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Max Hall went to BYU. My principal at the time was a BYU alumni. He was so excited after that first Max Hall game. He kept telling me what a great QB we had.

Fast forward to a couple years ago, Max Hall was arrested for selling drugs.

Yeah, that was sad for Max. But, he NEVER should have even sniffed an NFL roster. He just was not that good.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
THE NFL: Cardinals trio hurt in wreck
Sun | Sports

Aug 17th, 1999

PHOENIX (AP) - A former first-round draft pick trying to resurrect his football career with the Arizona Cardinals was fighting to save his right arm after a car accident involving three players on their way to a team meeting Monday.

How camp began that year, just got worse. This is yet again another bad luck moment from a fan perspective not to mention the human perspective. I was seriously pulling for his comeback.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson