Suns hire Monty Williams

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I thought we'd be at the mercy of the Lakers hiring Monty out from under
us, and we won out, I looked at it another way.

LeBron wanted Lue and, as we all know, LeBron is the defacto GM of the Lakers.

So, in effect, this was positive payback for Jones letting Tyson Chandler walk to
appease his buddy, LeBron.

If so, we came out ahead. If I'm giving Jones too much credit, we still came out
ahead.

We wound up with a coach with NBA Head Coach experience and a good reputation.

The Lakers wound up with a Center past his prime.

I think you're giving him too much credit AND too much blame. We tried for several months to trade Chandler, nobody wanted him. It was to our benefit to let him go when we did. The Lakers pounced but I don't think it helped them all that much. And I don't think Lebron had anything to do with us getting Monty either, Lue was likely always their first choice.

I also don't believe that Lebron is the defacto GM of the Lakers, IMO he's probably wielding less influence now than he has since he landed in Miami. There are so many factions inside the Lakers brain trust, if one more faction got involved it would probably bring on the apocalypse.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A year ago when Williams was mentioned I wasn't wild about it. He was not much of an in-game coach in New Orleans. But at this point the Suns need someone who is respected and someone who has a rep for player development more than they need someone who has proven chops at drawing up plays and making adjustments.

I wish we could have both, but we're in desperate need of legitimacy and I'll take a guy who can teach players and who the players know they need to listen too over a coach who might be more strategic but the players will tune out.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Hopefully, Jones got this one right. He's the General Manager.

Sarver is the one who signs off on it. It would be the continuation of
a problem if Sarver named a GM, then didn't support his decisions.

Monty was of course Jones’ first choice. But Sarver met with Monty and ultimately, had to convince Monty that he would, somehow, some way, stay out of the way and allow Jones and Monty to do their thing. Sarver was the one who had to ultimately agree to give Monty the 5th year.
I am not a Sarver fan, but make no mistake, HE got this one right.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Yep. I realised I came across a bit harsh so I edited my post. I remember he was head coach in New Orleans so this time around the new coach has done it before.

I am cautiously optimistic. There are good signs:
  1. He's got prior experience (more than one and done)
  2. He apparently was our first choice
  3. We signed him to a long contract
  4. I guess players liked him as the head coach
  5. It can't get any worse now, can it?
But I refuse to be taken on the emotional roller coaster straight away. Let's see how they do in the draft and any trades, in summer league and a few months into next season.

We have to turn the corner soon, right?

I'll add, that I also think he truly has what it takes to relate to the young stars on the roster...With what he's gone through, I'm sure he has a different perspective on bball and life.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Jones talking about the importance of finding a point guard and perhaps using Ayton in various places on the court like Embiid.

I'm glad Jones included the draft as an option in improving the point guard position.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
Hoping for a 2007-2008 Boston Celtics like turnaround. Massive win improvement in a short time.

I know they had three stars, but I’d like us to make actual progress quicker. Plenty of teams have built good talent and became competitive without it taking 10 years...

Hoping for a great draft and a few good moves via trade or free agency. I would hope Monty could help getting guys here he wants as well or at least help in talent evaluation.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
I like Jones talking about the importance of finding a point guard and perhaps using Ayton in various places on the court like Embiid.

Isn’t that tampering?! Haha

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I'm glad Jones included the draft as an option in improving the point guard position.

I am fine looking to the draft as PART of the long term point guard solution, but if Ja is it in terms of filling the point guard position, we're in serious trouble, in my opinion. This team desperately needs a veteran starting point guard.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hoping for a 2007-2008 Boston Celtics like turnaround. Massive win improvement in a short time.

I know they had three stars, but I’d like us to make actual progress quicker. Plenty of teams have built good talent and became competitive without it taking 10 years...

Hoping for a great draft and a few good moves via trade or free agency. I would hope Monty could help getting guys here he wants as well or at least help in talent evaluation.

I think a turn around like the Celtics is possible but not the 07-08 team. I could see something like the 2013-14 to 14-15 Celtics though. That's when all of their youth started clicking with the midseason acquisition of IT that got them to the playoffs. They went from 25 wins to 40, which got them the 7th seed.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Depends on the PG we get..

I‘d certainly say that we would make an instant turnaround if you added a Steve Nash or Jason Kidd and stopped giving inefficient players minutes.

Feels good to see all these random players shouting out the Monty Williams hire (Beal, Durant, Wilson Chandler, Dudley etc)

Anthony Davis also loves Monty

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I am fine looking to the draft as PART of the long term point guard solution, but if Ja is it in terms of filling the point guard position, we're in serious trouble, in my opinion. This team desperately needs a veteran starting point guard.

The Suns aren’t going to the post season next year... I would be over the top ecstatic if the ping pong ball Gods gave us Ja!!

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Suns aren’t going to the post season next year... I would be over the top ecstatic if the ping pong ball Gods gave us Ja!!

As long as we also bring in a serviceable veteran to hold the fort until Ja is ready. Listen to James Jones' statements here. He is on the right track when he says that more than anything (including scoring and assists), the Suns need a point guard the other players can look to for leadership on the floor and as a steadying influence. Ja is most definitely not that and likely won't be ready to come close to that for at least 2-3 years. Force him into that role well before he is ready, and Monty Williams as coach or not, Ja drags the team down with him, and they all fail.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
As long as we also bring in a serviceable veteran to hold the fort until Ja is ready. Listen to James Jones' statements here. He is on the right track when he says that more than anything (including scoring and assists), the Suns need a point guard the other players can look to for leadership on the floor and as a steadying influence. Ja is most definitely not that and likely won't be ready to come close to that for at least 2-3 years. Force him into that role well before he is ready, and Monty Williams as coach or not, Ja drags the team down with him, and they all fail.

We’ll have to see who is legitimately available... My guess is that they’ll merely be able to grab a serviceable at best veteran PG. And I believe Ja will be ready in his second season to take this team to the next level - possibly the post season.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We’ll have to see who is legitimately available... My guess is that they’ll merely be able to grab a serviceable at best veteran PG. And I believe Ja will be ready in his second season to take this team to the next level - possibly the post season.

And as we saw the past two seasons, a LOT of damage can be done to the other players in just a single season being forced to play with a starting point guard who is not ready or worthy. A merely serviceable starting point guard would be a vast improvement over the G League fodder, nowhere near ready rookies, other garbage cast offs and shooting guards playing out of position we (and more important, the team and players) have had to endure each of the last two seasons. Gifting Ja the starting point guard position would be the equivalent of gifting Chriss and Bender the power forward position three years ago and gifting Okobo and Melton playing time at the point this past season. Let's not let history repeat itself, especially with the team finally showing some signs of positive direction with the hiring of Bower and Monty.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't think starting Morant is the right way to go either although I would be very pleased to get him. The Suns need at least one veteran starter ahead of him.

I wouldn't mind adding two veteran point guards with one being a role player. Depending upon Okobo or Melton is not the way to go until they mature. It's going to be hard for the Suns to keep both of them.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think starting Morant is the right way to go either although I would be very pleased to get him. The Suns need at least one veteran starter ahead of him.

I wouldn't mind adding two veteran point guards with one being a role player. Depending upon Okobo or Melton is not the way to go until they mature. It's going to be hard for the Suns to keep both of them.

I have no problem starting Morant. Every player is different so assuming one player can't start because someone else has failed when put in that position is faulty reasoning. I agree that we'd want veteran option if possible but even if not, starting a rookie PG doesn't have to be the end of the road for the team. Monty has a reputation for holding players accountable so I'm confident Morant would see some bench time if he wasn't playing well.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
If the Suns land the 1-2 pick I would think AD potentially signing long term with the Suns; Monty/Booker and Zion/Morant isn’t a complete long shot. You would have to trade Ayton to the Pelicans and have AD’s extension signed and sealed to go through with it.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I have no problem starting Morant. Every player is different so assuming one player can't start because someone else has failed when put in that position is faulty reasoning. I agree that we'd want veteran option if possible but even if not, starting a rookie PG doesn't have to be the end of the road for the team. Monty has a reputation for holding players accountable so I'm confident Morant would see some bench time if he wasn't playing well.

It's not just that he's a rookie. Ja is raw, erratic and enigmatic on the floor, and he has very little experience against decent competition, and his limited performances there have been all over the place (as we witnessed in the two NCAA Tournament games this year). That is not the steadying influence James Jones said we need. Perhaps in a couple of years with the right coaching and steady development, but certainly not right away...not this player with his particular background and experience.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If the Suns land the 1-2 pick I would think AD potentially signing long term with the Suns; Monty/Booker and Zion/Morant isn’t a complete long shot. You would have to trade Ayton to the Pelicans and have AD’s extension signed and sealed to go through with it.

I would keep Ayton and trade the pick, Warren and Johnson first. AD and Ayton would be a deadly combo in the frontcourt, especially with Booker and any halfway decent point guard in the backcourt.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't like the idea of depending on a rookie to start unlike some of the other recently drafted point guards like Fox and Young. I don't think Morant is quite there yet.

If the Suns draft Morant I like the idea of bringing in a veteran like Darren Collison to start. Then if Morant succeeds him... fine.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't like the idea of depending on a rookie to start unlike some of the other recently drafted point guards like Fox and Young. I don't think Morant is quite there yet.

If the Suns draft Morant I like the idea of bringing in a veteran like Darren Collison to start. Then if Morant succeeds him... fine.
Morant is already a year ahead of where those two were when they came into the league. Starting Young has been just fine. I think Tyler is fine as a veteran pg if Ja lands here. I would not go looking for another one. I would concentrate on the PF position.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Morant is already a year ahead of where those two were when they came into the league. Starting Young has been just fine. I think Tyler is fine as a veteran pg if Ja lands here. I would not go looking for another one. I would concentrate on the PF position.

That was my point. I think Trae Young was more ready to play entering the NBA. The same with Fox to a lesser degree.

I don't think the Suns can chance entering a third consecutive season without a known quantity at point guard taking nothing away from Morant.

If you want to start Tyler Johnson ahead of Morant until he proves ready, I can live with that. However, there is a fair chance Johnson might be traded although I would like to keep him.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

This. Absolutely this.