Suns hire Monty Williams

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Good hire. Experience with Davis a plus. Liked around the league and by players.

Dr dumas

Veteran
Reaction score
Very excited about the hire! Players around the league respect him and he will get buy-in from our guys.

Five years will give comfort to our players and shows some stability.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I guess this goes completely against the narrative that Sarver was going to screw this up by being in the meeting.

Realistically the only way the hire would have ever happened was with Sarver being candid and admitted his mistakes and how he is going to be less hands on in the future.

Now lets hope he actually does remain hands off.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm giving Marc Stein credit for essentially breaking this story on May 1st with Monty Williams going to the Suns and Ty Lue soon to go to the Lakers.

Marc Stein‏Verified account @TheSteinLine

And now for some analysis: LeBron James is a Laker for at least TWO more years. Surely the Lakers understand James would be at his happiest and most engaged playing for Ty Lue. Hiring Lue is the obvious move for the Lakers -- let's see how soon they make it

9:19 PM - 1 May 2019

Marc Stein‏Verified account @TheSteinLine

League sources say that the Suns' job will be Monty Williams' job if he wants it ... but Williams, as a coach in demand, has the rare ability to be choosy about where he wants to coach next

8:48 PM - 1 May 2019

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I guess this goes completely against the narrative that Sarver was going to screw this up by being in the meeting.

Realistically the only way the hire would have ever happened was with Sarver being candid and admitted his mistakes and how he is going to be less hands on in the future.

Now lets hope he actually does remain hands off.

Hopefully Sarver is going to 100% stay in his lane from here on out.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

He says the right things, I guess, but it's amazing how poorly Durant plays the role of being one of the league's ambassadors. All of the warmth and charisma has been sucked out of him.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I first saw the article online that the Lakers had hired Lue.

And I hoped that the 76ers job wouldn't open for Monty.

Then I caught up on posts here and saw we have him.

I don't know which signing was first. Lue or Monty.

At last we can begin on the road back to respectability.

Finally! What wonderful, great, happy, exciting news!

Now we just need a role playing Power Forward, an
experienced NBA Point Guard and playing Ayton to
everyone's advantage on offense and we'll be on
our way.

It is nice to say -- and to believe --
Go Suns!

The D-backs are contending. The Mercury has their
core for at least one more season. And the Suns
are on the road to making us proud. Go, Valley
of the Sun sports teams!

Last edited:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
that's insane.

Insane? Not at all... I don't think the Suns would do it. However, I do believe a case can be made to support taking Ja over Zion, based strictly on biggest needs and who might propel the development of Ayton and Booker more...
Nonetheless, I doubt the Suns will even be in the position to have to worry about making this choice.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Yahoo! Another assistant coach that will be fired after one year. Great job guys.

Say hi to your sixth?! coach, Devin.

:thud:

Edit: OK, I exaggerate. I do know he's been a head coach before. That's pretty impressive to finally sign someone with prior experience.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sarver could get born again, turn over a new leaf completely and all this would still be said about him. His reputation is set in stone now. It is something he and we are going to have to live with. BTW, I am not saying he has changed in any way, and I am not trying to defend him. I am just saying that the press narrative will never change now, no matter what happens.

Our best hope is that others within the organization become more of the management face of it.

Listening to players like Durant talk about Monty Williams, hopefully Jones and Williams is the Suns new image. So many people speak highly of Williams.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm just relieved by this news.

I think it would have been a disaster if we were not able to hire Monty.
Yea. I think this true. Failure in hiring Monty is greater in proportion than the success in hiring him. If that makes sense.

He seems highly respected around the league. The Lakers wanted him, the Bucks last summer were deciding between Bud and Monty.

But Igor was respected too.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Yeah they spoke highly about Igor as well. We'll just have to wait and see how the young kids underachieve in summer league and show no progress from this magnificent past season in Suns history.

Fire Sarver.

BTW I still love the avatar, JC. Poor Mikal.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm just relieved by this news.

I think it would have been a disaster if we were not able to hire Monty.

Hiring Dave Joerger might have been a reasonable save, however, no doubt the Suns got their first option.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yeah they spoke highly about Igor as well. We'll just have to wait and see how the young kids underachieve in summer league and show no progress from this magnificent past season in Suns history.

Fire Sarver.

BTW I still love the avatar, JC. Poor Mikal.
I like this not because I want it to come to pass - I hope MW is awesome and the team wins 40+. However, last year we were happy after the Igor hire (in general), and nearly giddy after game #1. We had our coach!
And then... poof.

By the way, in a poll from last offseason, posters wanting Williams as coach was at 2.9% (small sample size, of course)....

https://www.arizonasportsfans.com/forum/threads/choose-the-suns-next-head-coach.260243/

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
He says the right things, I guess, but it's amazing how poorly Durant plays the role of being one of the league's ambassadors. All of the warmth and charisma has been sucked out of him.

i'm surprised you feel that way - Durant has certainly been less than forthcoming in the past, but he's opened up quite a bit as of late. He says some interesting things in interviews, more than I thought he ever would.

It also has to be tiresome to deal with the media all the time - the 24/7 access is a completely different paradigm than what Barkley/MJ dealt with. In a perfect world, players would be open and honest, but the headache involved with opening up hardly seems worth it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like this picture of Monty Williams with the player having his arm around the shoulder.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
i'm surprised you feel that way - Durant has certainly been less than forthcoming in the past, but he's opened up quite a bit as of late. He says some interesting things in interviews, more than I thought he ever would.

It also has to be tiresome to deal with the media all the time - the 24/7 access is a completely different paradigm than what Barkley/MJ dealt with. In a perfect world, players would be open and honest, but the headache involved with opening up hardly seems worth it.

Hi Kevin.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I like this picture of Monty Williams with the player having his arm around the shoulder.

I remember when this happened and how he handled himself in a press conference where he talked about this horrific tragedy. The man has some qualities that suggest he will be quite successful here in PHX!

Driver in crash that killed Monty Williams' wife had meth in system
Updated Mar 25, 2016; Posted Mar 25, 2016

https://www.nola.com/pelicans/2016/03/driver_in_crash_that_killed_mo.html

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hiring Dave Joerger might have been a reasonable save, however, no doubt the Suns got their first option.

Everything I have heard about him is that he clashes with management every where he goes. So I don't think he would have been a good fit.

Thankfully we don't have to worry about that now.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everything I have heard about him is that he clashes with management every where he goes. So I don't think he would have been a good fit.

I'm really glad this is over as well. I was trying to think of a reasonable alternative.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He's apparently a great development coach, a disappointing game manager and like you said, clashes regularly with management. For the right organization, he's be a great hire for a few years. But we're not that organization and we really need a coach that has at least a chance to be here for several years.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose