Suns hire Monty Williams

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Woot was so nervous clicking thread but turned happy to find out its Williams!

Maybe he will know how to actually use ayton in post and on pick and rolls

Now anxious for the lotter just want one of the top 2 for zion or morant

Gj suns

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here's a quick video from Woj on the hiring. He bashes Sarver, talks up Monty and the talent here some. Pretty basic stuff...

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=26662760

Here's the link to the article it's from.
Sarver could get born again, turn over a new leaf completely and all this would still be said about him. His reputation is set in stone now. It is something he and we are going to have to live with. BTW, I am not saying he has changed in any way, and I am not trying to defend him. I am just saying that the press narrative will never change now, no matter what happens.

Our best hope is that others within the organization become more of the management face of it.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Interesting--this 5 year deal is the longest coaching deal Sarver has given in his entire tenure as owner.
If I was Monty, I would have demanded this. At least when he gets fired next year, he will have a paid vacation for four more years.

Kinda hard to cast Sarver as cheap when he fires people he still has to pay. He is still paying McD and Igor I think. He was still paying Earl Watson until two weeks ago.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Young talent with a high draft pick is attractive to coaches

More attractive than the Lakers opening, which I think is a good sign. Reports are that the Lakers didn't offer him a deal but reports were the same for the Suns and Monty last night. I'm not sure how much weight can be put in those reports. What we do know is he interviewed with the Lakers twice and he also made it through the Sarver interview for us.

I think it's fair to say that we landed a coach who actually wants to be here and coach the talent on the roster and that we're in position to acquire. He had other options available to him but decided to sign with the Suns. When was the last time that has been the case for the Suns, that they managed to sign someone who had the option of signing somewhere else? It's been a good long while.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sarver could get born again, turn over a new leaf completely and all this would still be said about him. His reputation is set in stone now. It is something he and we are going to have to live with. BTW, I am not saying he has changed in any way, and I am not trying to defend him. I am just saying that the press narrative will never change now, no matter what happens.

I agree with that 100%. I'm still glad we got our guy and our guy is someone who is well respected around the league. All reports I've read talk Monty up as a stand up individual as well as a quality young coach. That reputation seems to be something he's earned while he's been a coach also, which is a plus. He seemed to be the target for Jones and Bower and knowing we got the candidate we targeted is good news for this organization, especially since Sarver didn't screw it up.

I'm not saying Sarver has finally turned over a new leaf because we don't know if he has or not, he's claimed that he has multiple times and not long after he claims that the reports start leaking out that he's full of it and is meddling as much as ever. I hope that doesn't happen here but if it does I think it's a good thing that Jones and Bower got their guy because it may create opposition to Sarver. There is a history with Bower and Monty as well as a history between Jones and Monty. Sarver says he's backing off, again, and will give everyone room to do their jobs. It's time he follows through and lets that happen. If he doesn't, there could be a unified front that tells him to back off and let them do their jobs. Having the GM, VP of Basketball Ops, and Head Coach all on the same page and working together should be enough to get through to Sarver if he tries opposing something or pushing something on one of them. I hope it doesn't come to that, but if it does then I hope they're willing to stand up for each other because that may actually get Sarver to back off. He's got to be tired of losing and having his name drug through the mud by now.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

Our best hope is that others within the organization become more of the management face of it.

It's no different than Bill Sr...and being cheap, Same Ol' Cards...Mike has down an awesome job trying to change the perception of the team and his family...but with every Cardinals misstep, the past still haunts them.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's no different than Bill Sr...and being cheap, Same Ol' Cards...Mike has down an awesome job trying to change the perception of the team and his family...but with every Cardinals misstep, the past still haunts them.
It's true. Michael is a completely different animal than his father. I have close family members that worked directly for (and have and had great respect for) both.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well. They clearly, inarguably, got their first choice coach. There is that. I have no idea how good Monty will actually be, but it's better than being rejected by your first choice and settling for second or third.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well. They clearly, inarguably, got their first choice coach. There is that. I have no idea how good Monty will actually be, but it's better than being rejected by your first choice and settling for second or third.

this. and they're apparently not as bad as the dumpster fire as the Lakers are.

I'm good with it. Head Coaching experience, helped develop Anthony Davis as centerpiece of offense the way I believe Ayton should be used and he was at least a "name" in NBA circles that prove that we're not completely pathetic. Those are all good starts.

Now, they just need to win the lottery, add Zion and start seriously building for the future for the first time!

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Five years? Not a chance in hell he lasts that long. What's the all-time NBA record for head coaches simultaneously on the payroll?

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
this. and they're apparently not as bad as the dumpster fire as the Lakers are.

I'm good with it. Head Coaching experience, helped develop Anthony Davis as centerpiece of offense the way I believe Ayton should be used and he was at least a "name" in NBA circles that prove that we're not completely pathetic. Those are all good starts.

Now, they just need to win the lottery, add Ja and start seriously building for the future for the first time!

FIFY... ;)

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Five years? Not a chance in hell he lasts that long. What's the all-time NBA record for head coaches simultaneously on the payroll?

He's the best coach we've had since Alvin Gentry, and while Gentry only lasted 4 years here, I thought it was beyond ridiculous Gentry was fired. I think Monty lasts here...

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I’m confused about the hype. He coached a dysfunctional garbage team for 5 years and had a crappy record.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I’m confused about the hype. He coached a dysfunctional garbage team for 5 years and had a crappy record.

He had moderate success with a mediocre team with one star player in Chris Paul. The team became garbage due to no fault of his own when Paul forced his way to L.A., and he developed and coached that garbage team back to respectability. While he might not be the coach to get us to championship level, he is DEFINITELY a coach who can get us back to respectability. He's done it before with a similar team.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He had moderate success with a mediocre team with one star player in Chris Paul. The team became garbage due to no fault of his own when Paul forced his way to L.A., and he developed and coached that garbage team back to respectability. While he might not be the coach to get us to championship level, he is DEFINITELY a coach who can get us back to respectability. He's done it before with a similar team.

this. He doesn't need to be THE coach to bring us to a title. He just needs to be a guy to bring us to respectability again. The Doug Collins, George Hill to whoever hopefully will be our Phil Jackson and Pop.

yes... I know how crazy it is even mentioning those two guys and the idea that this team could EVER find likewise coaches, but I'll completely breathe in a rare breath of fresh air from the Suns and let it fill up my lungs compared to the crap I've been smelling for almost a decade.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The team had similar success with Byron Scott and Paul.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Yeah, not a bad hire, all things considered. I might have liked Joerger a bit more, just based on recent coaching momentum. But Williams at least seems to be a stable, "safe" bet.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm just relieved by this news.

I think it would have been a disaster if we were not able to hire Monty.