What Year, Team, and Age that you First became an NFL Season Ticket Holder

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
It was 1960 when an 11 yr old kid from a broken home convinced his single mom to let him scrape his pennies together to buy a child's single season pass for the new Dallas Texans and the AFL'S inaugural season. I believe that season pass cost a whole dollar. This youngster would take the bus by himself on Sunday afternoons after doing his weekly altar boy duties spoken in Latin at mass at Holy Trinity Catholic Church, often for Father Huber (the priest who gave JFK his last rites). The Texans were a good team made up of a lot of local college talent from SMU, TCU, and other Southwest Conference teams. The Texan's backfield was comprised by the likes of QB Cotton Davidson, FB Jack Spikes, and all pro RB Abner Haynes. They would go down in history as this new league's first champion with the colorful Hank Stram as coach. After 3 years however the Texans would leave Dallas for Kansas City becoming what are still to this day the Chiefs, leaving this kid to root for his other hometown team, the Dallas Cowboys. Nearly sixty years later this kid, now a Cardinal fan, still harbors a hidden fondness for the Chiefs, along with the original AFL and its teams like the Chargers, Bills, and Raiders.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
2004, Cardinals, 18.

I grew up a Cardinals fan in Vegas after picking them as my team as a 2-3 year old, and ended up finally moving to the Valley to go to ASU over USC, since I could use my college fund to get Cardinals season tickets thanks to a scholarship over private school tuition.

My first gameday experience was a 40+ year old Raiders fan threatening to stab me for being a Cardinals fan during a preseason loss in the 4th quarter.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1993 - Cardinals - 22

(before getting our season tickets I went to all of the games getting tickets from scalpers or friends)

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
1994/95ish. 14 or 15.

Officially became a Cardinals fan during the infamous Christmas Cowboys in 95. I actually initially liked the Cowboys because #winning, but the way the Cowboys fans were dumping on the local team left a sour taste in my mouth and I fully became a Cardinals fan. My dad was originally a Redskins fan and my brother was a Giants fan. Family is from NC and back in the day, most Carolinians were Redskins fans. My brother liked the Giants because we lived in NY for a few years.

But I've been hooked ever since that game. 1996 draft with Simeon Rice. 98 Cardinals made me obsessed with the team.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1988 Cards 14 YOA was a gift from my mom..... Only had one season...

Then again the year before new stadium opened Cards 2005 31 YOA..

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
1998 - 19 years old. AZ Cardinals. Went to ASU and got hooked on the cheap Cardinals seats. I think we paid around $1300-$1600 for (4) lower level seats on the visitors side ( in the sun) at the time. Have renewed them ever since!

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
2006. Cardinals. Had just moved to Phoenix in 2004, and with a lot more disposable income thanks to coming from Kalifornia, and with the arrival of Jiffy Pop Stadium, I jumped in. Age 49.

Lockjaw

Reaction score
1988, Cardinals, 16 years old and have been a die-hard fan since. I could never understand fair-weather fans, and I think I bonded with the team a lot more deeply because of all the crap I would take from seemingly everyone for being a Cardinals fan. 1 winning record (9-7) in 20 years was a rough initiation, but it made the run in 2008 so much more fun. Back in the early 1990s, it seemed like a strange sight to come across another person at the grocery store wearing a Cardinals shirt.

Anyone remember the "Grand Cannon" poster for Neil Lomax? We only paid 15 per ticket for the South Endzone, but the Cards got a lot of flack for having average ticket prices of $37-38.

The comeback win against SF 24-23 was definitely the highlight of the season. The fake field goal run by Al del Greco at the end of the first half of the Cowboys game is still one of the oddest special teams calls I have seen (although nothing will beat the Colts fake punt play).

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
1993 - Cardinals - 22

(before getting our season tickets I went to all of the games getting tickets from scalpers or friends)

Random question about SDS. Before 2000 when the Cards moved to the ASU locker rooms they used the visiting college locker rooms. Where did the road NFL teams suit up back then? Were there 3 locker room facilities?

I remember the Cards running out from the NW corner...

You must be registered for see images attach

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
1988, Cardinals, 16 years old and have been a die-hard fan since. I could never understand fair-weather fans, and I think I bonded with the team a lot more deeply because of all the crap I would take from seemingly everyone for being a Cardinals fan. 1 winning record (9-7) in 20 years was a rough initiation, but it made the run in 2008 so much more fun. Back in the early 1990s, it seemed like a strange sight to come across another person at the grocery store wearing a Cardinals shirt.

Anyone remember the "Grand Cannon" poster for Neil Lomax? We only paid 15 per ticket for the South Endzone, but the Cards got a lot of flack for having average ticket prices of $37-38.

The comeback win against SF 24-23 was definitely the highlight of the season. The fake field goal run by Al del Greco at the end of the first half of the Cowboys game is still one of the oddest special teams calls I have seen (although nothing will beat the Colts fake punt play).
Heavens you ought to try being a fan of this team since 74 talk about snickers and jeers even the Super Bowl year still got jeers for them losing

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
2008 - Cardinals - 26

It’s been all downhill since then! [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
Random question about SDS. Before 2000 when the Cards moved to the ASU locker rooms they used the visiting college locker rooms. Where did the road NFL teams suit up back then? Were there 3 locker room facilities?

That picture just brought back a ton of memories.

Skratchy_Seal

Registered
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2012, Cards, 32

I was living in Portugal when I purchased season tickets. I thought I was going to be moving to Phoenix during that summer. I ended up moving to NJ and missed all the games. Then I moved to CA, and I’ve been driving to the games since.

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
I've been a Cardinals fans since 1969...never have been a season ticket holder; mostly because I've never really ever lived where they've played.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

This reminded me of the old WHA and the Jersey Knights who played at the old Cherry Hill Arena who's facilities were so spartan that visiting teams had to dress at their hotel.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Timing inexact, but it was in the late-fifties/ early sixties.

I'm not sure when or how we wangled Giants season tix, but it became a family tradition to meet Sunday home-game mornings at the Madison Deli (86th & Madison), have sandwiches prepared while we ate breakfast before hoofing over to 86th & Lexington to take the subway up to Yankee Stadium.

Biggest memory was in NYC attending the Colts - Giants championship game where Alan Ameche scored the winning TD. Back in those days, season tickets were like gold. I was a Johns Hopkins undergrad caught up in all the Johnny Unitas hoopla in Baltimore. My step brother, Guy, waited all night on a frosty line to secure those Giants - Colts tix,

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose