OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know it's a bad year when people are arguing over what was said about Nkemdiche and in what manner it was said. SMH.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cardinals reportedly to decline DL Robert Nkemdiche’s 5th-year option

http://arizonasports.com/story/1928247/cardinals-decline-robert-nkemdiche-option-report/

The Arizona Cardinals have decided against picking up the 2020 option for the fifth year on defensive lineman Robert Nkemdiche’s rookie contract, reported NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero on Thursday.

Nkemdiche, the Cardinals’ 2016 first-round pick taken 29th overall, is coming off his most productive season yet but one peppered with reminders that he has thus far failed to reach his potential.

Due to injuries and inconsistency, Nkemdiche has appeared in 27 of a possible 48 regular games since he entered the NFL. His knee injury suffered in December put his health status heading into the 2019 regular season in doubt.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I can't take credit for this (someone else brought it up a while ago) but crazy talk here...

What if we extended Nkemdiche's contract? He is coming off an ACL injury and we are not picking up his option...would it be worth it to give him a 2 year extension (team friendly) that enables him to have another opportunity or we finally move on?

Again - we are talking VERY team friendly contract.

BTW - I like what you did BIM...putting this news on the end of an existing thread vs starting a new one.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can't take credit for this (someone else brought it up a while ago) but crazy talk here...

What if we extended Nkemdiche's contract? He is coming off an ACL injury and we are not picking up his option...would it be worth it to give him a 2 year extension (team friendly) that enables him to have another opportunity or we finally move on?

BTW - I like what you did BIM...putting this news on the end of an existing thread vs starting a new one.

Could happen before FA in 2020.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I could see it being a good option for the team, but I don’t know if it is for him. His base salary for the 5th year would have ballooned to more than seven millions, so it would easily be worth it to the team if they have any feeling that they might want him longer than next season. From his perspective, now he gets a season to prove that he is worth a bigger contract, so maybe it would be smart by him to bet on himself. On the other hand, signing a new contract would protect him at least a bit against injuries or another bad season.

I don’t know. I would be for it. I just think it is so very sad that he hasn’t put it together, because he really was a monster occasionally in college. If he did put it together for a longer period, he could be downright great. I would personally give him more chances – only as maybe the 4th defensive lineman, but at least still on the roster.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I could see it being a good option for the team, but I don’t know if it is for him. His base salary for the 5th year would have ballooned to more than seven millions, so it would easily be worth it to the team if they have any feeling that they might want him longer than next season. From his perspective, now he gets a season to prove that he is worth a bigger contract, so maybe it would be smart by him to bet on himself. On the other hand, signing a new contract would protect him at least a bit against injuries or another bad season.

I don’t know. I would be for it. I just think it is so very sad that he hasn’t put it together, because he really was a monster occasionally in college. If he did put it together for a longer period, he could be downright great. I would personally give him more chances – only as maybe the 4th defensive lineman, but at least still on the roster.
Why would you even try & resign a guy who’s done jack squat for 6 years now? :shrug:. And yes he was overhyped & an under performing player in college as well.

Pass! Move along...next.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
It's a little shocking that the Cards picked up D.J. Humphries' option after he only played in 18 of a possible 48 games in his career.

He's now played in 27 of a potential 64.

It's strange but by the same token he has shown he can play the position and finding a legit LT is hard to do in my opinion next to finding a QB... the price is right at the moment and less to scavenge for but can he stay healthy and he better hope he puts in a full season or he will be toast

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I ask for the 1,000th time: how the hell does Teflon Keim still have a freaking job!??

1) How much influence did Arians have in the picks, and for the most part they were winning

2) Temptation of being cavalier because you have been winning and seeing going off measurables as a luxury in the early rounds

3) For the most part he has been good outside of the draft

4) He gets along with the owner

Reaction score
1) How much influence did Arians have in the picks, and for the most part they were winning

2) Temptation of being cavalier because you have been winning and seeing going off measurables as a luxury in the early rounds

5) He's an above average GM & good GM's are hard to find.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It's strange but by the same token he has shown he can play the position and finding a legit LT is hard to do in my opinion next to finding a QB... the price is right at the moment and less to scavenge for but can he stay healthy and he better hope he puts in a full season or he will be toast

I mean, he's okay at playing the position, but he's played in double-digit games once in four NFL seasons. The most important ability is availability.

Also, we're paying DJ over $9.6 million this season. How is "the price right"? That's 100% guaranteed because he came into the offseason injured. And yet, somehow, he's the 18th-highest paid LT in the league this year. :barf:

I'd say that for the most part he's been good outside the first round, but outside the draft? This is the guy who guided the search that landed on Steve Wilks, went into last season with Fitz, Kirk and Chad Wililams as our top WRs (after our top FA signings Brice Butler and a guy who was out of the NFL the year before failed to pan out), gave Sam Bradford $20 million guaranteed, and paid David Johnson and Tyrann Matthieu market-setting deals coming off significant injuries.

It used to be a fun feature for me to figure out which multi-year free agent signing would be the one that was immediately regretted the next offseason. In 2018, it was all of them.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's a little shocking that the Cards picked up D.J. Humphries' option after he only played in 18 of a possible 48 games in his career.

He's now played in 27 of a potential 64.

yes and even when healty was of meh at tackle
at least nkemdiche could make some splash plays

neither of them deserved a 5th year pick option

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave