Who will be the Suns next head coach?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I find this theory absolutely illogical and thus hard to believe.

As if it is an advantage to anyone to wait until someone gets an offer from someone else.

What's so hard to believe? It's almost like restricted free agency with coaches. They don't want to overpay so they want to see what the Lakers offer before they decide to offer Laker like money to him. Of course there isn't a right to match involved here but other than that aspect of it it's just like waiting for his market value to be set.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
What's so hard to believe? It's almost like restricted free agency with coaches. They don't want to overpay so they want to see what the Lakers offer before they decide to offer Laker like money to him. Of course there isn't a right to match involved here but other than that aspect of it it's just like waiting for his market value to be set.
But you give the Lakers a chance to say “here’s our offer. Accept it or we move on. You can’t shop it.” In which case you never even get to bid.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

If my potential employer made it a requirement that I first get a competing offer before he will offer me a contract I would tell him to shove it where the sun does not shine.

It would only make sense if Monty Williams does not know what he is worth and wants to hold out for the Lakers offer and demand the Suns to match it.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But you give the Lakers a chance to say “here’s our offer. Accept it or we move on. You can’t shop it.” In which case you never even get to bid.

And I understand that. I don't agree with that approach but it's not all that surprising from a Sarver run team. That is what I took issue with, the idea that it's illogical and unbelievable. If it came from another source then maybe I'd have a hard time believing it also but Duane Rankin is probably the most trustworthy source for Suns news right now. He is the Suns beat writer for the AZ Republic and has no reason to make something like that up. If it was Scott Bordow or Paul Coro that reported the same thing I don't think it would be called into question in the same way and they previously held the same position that Rankin does now.

I don't agree with the approach by the Suns, if that is what they're doing, but not agreeing with the approach and denying it's taking place are two different things.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
He is the Suns beat writer for the AZ Republic and has no reason to make something like that up.

Uh well I can think of many reasons for him to make that up:

He does not know.

It also has nothing to do with Rankin, it just seems completely far fetched and Sarver is not a novice. He might make stupid irrational basketball decisions but he surely knows the basics of hiring people.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find this theory absolutely illogical and thus hard to believe.

As if it is an advantage to anyone to wait until someone gets an offer from someone else.

What I find more believable is that James Jones wants his head coach in place.

It will be weird or not so weird, depending upon perspective, if Juwan Howard gets the head coaching job. I'm not sure how James Jones feels about Williams.

James Jones is putting his stamp on the franchise. This is what is happening with all the changes.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty would probably be the highest paid coach that Sarver has signed also. If he's drawing interest from the Lakers then that raises his price on it's own because they don't work the way the rest of the league does from a financial standpoint. I know they haven't made an offer but that doesn't matter if the Suns make the offer first. Ideally they'd make an offer that makes him accept on the spot. Since he's been a head coach before that also means he won't sign to some bargain basement deal like Hornacek, Watson, and Kokoskov.

Here's how I believe it played out, Jones tells Sarver that he intends on making an offer to him if the 2nd interview goes as well as the 1st. Sarver asks for a ballpark figure of what he'll be paying him, Jones gives it and Sarver says he's got to meet the guy that he'll be investing that much capital in. Hopefully it's no more than that and Sarver doesn't clutch onto his change purse too hard while speaking with Monty so everything goes as smooth as possible. The last thing the Suns can afford is for Monty to turn them down right now. If that happens, we're screwed. It wouldn't be that catastrophic if Monty chose LA over Phoenix but if he turns the Suns down before LA even makes an offer that's probably the worst possible outcome of this.

I'm hoping Monty Williams is their choice and they go after him hard.

It will be tough going through the hire of another assistant as head coach.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe they have an assurance from Monty that he will give them a chance. These guys do have a relationship with one another.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think Monty meeting with Sarver may be just as much about Williams interviewing Sarver as the other way around.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
He might make stupid irrational basketball decisions but he surely knows the basics of hiring people.

We've gone through General Managers . . . and a Head Coach a year for, what, five years . . . and Sarver brings in a Sr. V.P. who will report to the General Manager,
who announced he really doesn't want to do the whole GM job.

We've had too many starting Point Guards, then no starting Point Guards. We drafted two Power Forwards to fight it out, and will have lost both of them.

And you think that Sarver "surely knows the basics of hiring people"? Seriously, Slin. Do you really think that is so? Everything we've witnessed about Sarver's
"leadership" contradicts that. Because he finally got the word to stop hogging the spotlight doesn't indicate that he has learned anything about hiring people.

Which, BTW, is a part of basketball decisions which, as you said, has shown his stupidity and lack of being rational.

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I think Monty meeting with Sarver may be just as much about Williams interviewing Sarver as the other way around.
Uh oh! If I were interviewing with Sarver, I wouldn't choose him unless I were desperate.

Because you're right. Every job interview is a two-way decision. Based primarily on two factors. Public history (as Slin said, stupid, irrational basketball decisions and a large
record of personnel turnovers) and the presentation at the interview with an owner who, as we all know, hasn't shown a lot of common sense when dealing with people.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Uh oh! If I were interviewing with Sarver, I wouldn't choose him unless I were desperate.
With the circus in LAL being his option, Sarver might actually not seem so bad.

But I don't disagree with your overall point on it. This part of the interview process was when Budenholzer withdrew himself from consideration for the Suns job last year.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
With the circus in LAL being his option, Sarver might actually not seem so bad.

But I don't disagree with your overall point on it. This part of the interview process was when Budenholzer withdrew himself from consideration for the Suns job last year.
Overall, it is disappointing for the League when a quality coach has to choose the lesser worse.

"We're Number next to last. We're Number next to last."

But I hope you're right!

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well. It looks like the Pelicans are starting to put their stuff together after that fiasco at the trade deadline. Hired Griff, add Aaron Nelson, looks like they are keeping Gentry, and now AD is talking about staying. Things are settling down.

Moral of the story, it is possible to stand up to Rich Paul. Although Griff might actually be a Paul patsy these days.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...they-really-need-their-next-coach/3629779002/

A good summary of what we need in a head coach, plus a pretty scathing indictment of Igor's performance this past season.

1Sun, since you couldn't access the board for 7 days, i just wanted to acknowledge the irony of you being banned for simply referring to someone as "fascist." -- i too was threatened with banning that day -- accused of doing what that person was actually guilty of -- trying to silence other posters.

no doubt some vengeance was enacted on the 2 most vocal critics of Igor on the day he was finally fired.

i'm done here. but i live in Chandler too. message me if you ever want to talk Suns, unrestricted, over a cup of coffee

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
1Sun, since you couldn't access the board for 7 days, i just wanted to acknowledge the irony of you being banned for simply referring to someone as "fascist." -- i too was threatened with banning that day -- accused of doing what that person was actually guilty of -- trying to silence other posters.

no doubt some vengeance was enacted on the 2 most vocal critics of Igor on the day he was finally fired.

i'm done here. but i live in Chandler too. message me if you ever want to talk Suns, unrestricted, over a cup of coffee

1Sun & 1tinsoldier (are you the 1-and1 contingent? :) ) I was right there with you, realizing early that Igor was a bad choice.

I think the difference was that I have never insulted a poster to try to win a debate.

And I, as you 1Sun, posted the same thing over and over in response to posts supporting Igor. I thought that was logical.

But my anti-Igor posts became annoying. It took me awhile, but I got the message and tried to no longer repeat myself
no matter how many supporters repeated their posts. And, at the time, I was in the minority opinion.

It is not easy but I censor myself from repeating the same thing over and over. Most of the time I have been successful.

I suppose the bottom line is that it is not about what you say (unless attacking another poster personally), but how often
you say it.

Here's hoping the Front Office has the know-how to land an exceptional Head Coach because that, in conjunction with a
talented General Manager, is what it will take to lift the Suns from a decade of incompetence.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well. It looks like the Pelicans are starting to put their stuff together after that fiasco at the trade deadline. Hired Griff, add Aaron Nelson, looks like they are keeping Gentry, and now AD is talking about staying. Things are settling down.

Moral of the story, it is possible to stand up to Rich Paul. Although Griff might actually be a Paul patsy these days.

It'll be interesting to see who the Lakers hire as their coach. If it's not a Lebron guy then I wonder if they would trade Lebron. Everyone involved would make more money if they teamed up in New Orleans. Davis would get his super max and Lebron has a trade kicker. Lebron likes Griffin and it's been said he made up his mind he was leaving when the Cavs didn't retain him. I don't imagine Lebron and Rich Paul were too happy about the story that leaked out that Jeannie Buss considered trading Lebron during the whole AD fiasco before the trade deadline. Leaving LA for New Orleans might help Lebron's image as well. So long as he's in LaLa Land he'll be one of the guys who made Magic resign.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see who the Lakers hire as their coach. If it's not a Lebron guy then I wonder if they would trade Lebron. Everyone involved would make more money if they teamed up in New Orleans. Davis would get his super max and Lebron has a trade kicker. Lebron likes Griffin and it's been said he made up his mind he was leaving when the Cavs didn't retain him. I don't imagine Lebron and Rich Paul were too happy about the story that leaked out that Jeannie Buss considered trading Lebron during the whole AD fiasco before the trade deadline. Leaving LA for New Orleans might help Lebron's image as well. So long as he's in LaLa Land he'll be one of the guys who made Magic resign.

So if this happened, the big three in New Orleans would likely be Davis, Holiday and Lebron. The Pelicans would almost have to keep Holiday to make it a contender.

I guess the Pelicans could clear enough salary to absorb Lebron. It would cost them a lot of draft picks though.

It's fun to consider.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
FYI. For those that think that James Jones was saying he does not like to work, in this interview today Dudley says that one of the characteristics of JJ as the Suns assistant GM was that he was an extremely hard worker. He was up early and at the workout facility and talking to people. He intimated that the previous GM was not a communicator but that JJ is in the extreme. He works hard on personal relationships with players.

I think JJ was saying in that now famous quote is that he is not a computer nerd GM. He is a relationships guy. Here is the link.

http://arizonasports.com/story/1928276/jared-dudley-monty-williams-would-be-big-time-hire-for-suns/

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI. For those that think that James Jones was saying he does not like to work, in this interview today Dudley says that one of the characteristics of JJ as the Suns assistant GM was that he was an extremely hard worker. He was up early and at the workout facility and talking to people. He intimated that the previous GM was not a communicator but that JJ is in the extreme. He works hard on personal relationships with players.

I think JJ was saying in that now famous quote is that he is not a computer nerd GM. He is a relationships guy. Here is the link.

http://arizonasports.com/story/1928276/jared-dudley-monty-williams-would-be-big-time-hire-for-suns/

Of course it's great to hear this from Dudley, about James Jones being a good communicator with the players and putting in the hours.

One thing that perplexes me a bit about Jones though is I'm not seeing his communication skills translate to the fans and the public. I so want to hear more from the Suns front office about what is going on. Hopefully this will come.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

It is sad that things have devolved to being punished for calling fascist activities fascist, and not just on this board...

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

That makes sense, JJ being a more hands on GM that prefers to speak with players, coaches, and staff rather than being glued a laptop or smartphone all day sending texts, emails, and reviewing spreadsheets. Unfortunately I don't believe his opposition, or those leery of him as our JJ, will let that quote slide. It will take seeing results on the floor for some to let it go.

Of course it's great to hear this from Dudley, about James Jones being a good communicator with the players and putting in the hours.

One thing that perplexes me a bit about Jones though is I'm not seeing his communication skills translate to the fans and the public. I so want to hear more from the Suns front office about what is going on. Hopefully this will come.

He's done a press conference already this offseason, there isn't much more he can do right now. Until the draft lottery there isn't anything to report other than a coaching hire and until that happens I don't believe he'll be speaking to the public on his own, whether in another press conference, radio interview, or interview with someone else.

I'd love to hear more from him also but this is the slowest time of the year for teams in the lottery. We're waiting for the lottery drawing to know where we'll pick, and that will give us an idea of who we'll pick as well. Outside of that we can't sign free agents or make trades right now so we're in a holding period. If Igor wasn't fired then I don't think James Jones would have talked to the press or fans like he did already because there wouldn't be all that much to say outside of we're waiting for the draft to add some pieces and then we'll address some holes in free agency. The lottery drawing is May 15th so we got 2 more weeks of silence, I believe.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's done a press conference already this offseason, there isn't much more he can do right now. Until the draft lottery there isn't anything to report other than a coaching hire and until that happens I don't believe he'll be speaking to the public on his own, whether in another press conference, radio interview, or interview with someone else.

I'd love to hear more from him also but this is the slowest time of the year for teams in the lottery. We're waiting for the lottery drawing to know where we'll pick, and that will give us an idea of who we'll pick as well. Outside of that we can't sign free agents or make trades right now so we're in a holding period. If Igor wasn't fired then I don't think James Jones would have talked to the press or fans like he did already because there wouldn't be all that much to say outside of we're waiting for the draft to add some pieces and then we'll address some holes in free agency. The lottery drawing is May 15th so we got 2 more weeks of silence, I believe.

Actually a lot is going on with the Suns. Unfortunately we do not hear much about it. I hope Jones starts to do some radio shows after things settle down on the coaching front. What is presented at press conferences is the bare minimum as I view it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson