What are some camp battles you’re looking forward to?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree.... looked to me like Cole legitimately took shipleys job last season...I know dude got hurt, but Cole played well enough to make shipley obsolete...adding this new guy into the mix makes it interesting.
thing is, until last season shipley had been pretty much injury free. that durability could play into the decision...put shipley back at center, with cole at guard...and its reasonable to expect those two positions to be locked down for the year.

Cole was not good.

According to pff Shipley is better, and I believe it because cole didn’t move anyone, he just got in the way.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am looking forward to the end of the William's...Chad and Brandon.

They should just cut them now. At least Brandon, there is zero chance he is making the roster with his inability to play anything but special teams.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Looking at this list makes me shudder to some extent. No one on this list makes me go wow really solid player. Some are already slotting Shipley at C and just two seasons ago almost everyone wanted him gone. How did he get so much better after being on IR last year and a year older? Murray may be the best thing since sliced bread as the saying goes but it won't mean anything if he has Dlinemen crashing down on him 2 seconds after the snap. Pugh, Gilbert and Humphries have seen more time on IR than the field and the rest are just guys.

Pugh is the worst guard we have. The dudes that replaced him were better. That was a horrific free agent signing.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cole was not good.

According to pff Shipley is better, and I believe it because cole didn’t move anyone, he just got in the way.

Yes cole was very bad, some fans here trying to see something good on every young player, but i didn't see anything good

Last edited:

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
I expect Cole being much stronger. Rookies often have a tough time, going through the crazy draft process for such a long period. This offseason Cole's strength should shoot up. He has the size and body type to play much stronger. It's true that he was below average at best, but everybody around him was even worse, as he was the rookie pivot of a terrible OL. I was actually satisfied with how Cole held up in tough circumstances and when we called a screen once in a while I was impressed with Cole's foot speed. Pass protection should improve in our new quick hitting scheme, as will his power to move people in the run game.

I'm looking forward to the battle at C. Wouldn't count out Shipley, although playing Cole and/or Gaillard would be better for the future.

perivolaki

perivolaki
Reaction score
Agreed. AQ was a career back-up before he played for the Cardinals and he was the 28th ranked C in 2017.

Great guy...leader...but doubt he makes the roster.

(AQ) The former seventh-round pick started every game over the last two seasons in Arizona. His 61.3 offensive grade in 2017 was 28th among centers, but his 77.9 pass-blocking grade ranked 13th.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-mason-cole-to-take-over-for-injured-shipley
I get it. But to be fair the guy has started 54 games in the league. He seems like the kind of guy you are always trying to replace but just find it hard to kick him to the curb. Kind of like when we had Lyle Sendlein playing center.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cole was thrown to the wolves last year. Shipley’s injury actually will help Cole in the long run. If he’s done his off season work I believe Cole with either remain our starting center or start at guard because he beat out Pugh.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Cole was not good.

Cole stood guys up... but didnt move them. Thats a strength issue, along with some technique.
its not a stretch to think the kid gets stronger during the off season or that he learns a bit better technique with a new line coach.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Murphy won’t be battling Alford for outside CB duties, much less Pat P.

Byron will likely be fighting with Trumaine Brock, David Amerson, & Deatrick Nichols for the starting slot CB role.
Alford was not that good last year...

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Fearless prediction...Cole will be on our starting oline in 2019 and 2020.

As for the rest, Pugh is the only player whose contract dictates he starts. Humphries is on a one year deal. Sweezy, essentially, the same. Gilbert, essentially the same.

Dante

All Star
Reaction score
Steve Keim said yesterday on Ask The Cards that we're looking to keep only 6 WR's on the active roster so I can't wait to see the competition unfold for those spots. My best guess right now is that Fitzgerald, Kirk, Isabella, Butler, Johnson and Sherfield are the ones that form that group for us.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Steve Keim said yesterday on Ask The Cards that we're looking to keep only 6 WR's on the active roster so I can't wait to see the competition unfold for those spots. My best guess right now is that Fitzgerald, Kirk, Isabella, Butler, Johnson and Sherfield are the ones that form that group for us.

Interesting...who would return punts? Please don't say PP21

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Duh...that makes sense. Kirk as PR.

TJ Logan as KR.

I don't see how Chad Williams or Cooper make it.

Dante

All Star
Reaction score
Duh...that makes sense. Kirk as PR.

TJ Logan as KR.

I don't see how Chad Williams or Cooper make it.

Agreed.

What's interesting is that Darren Urban was asked about the WR room by a fan and he did not mention Williams or Cooper at all in his response but he did bring up Sherfield as someone the Cardinals like based on what he showed us last season. So that's something to keep in mind when thinking of what the WR room could look like in a couple of months.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still do not get the prima donna nature of NFL quarterbacks. Why should a young QB, especially one like Rosen, not compete for a starting job and be willing to be a backup, if he can't win? Its that way in the college game. Its that way for every other position. Our depth at QB is horrible. I still think we would be better off having Murray AND Rosen on our roster than Murray and Isabella.

Hang awkwardness. Rosen got paid. He should not have any other entitlement. He never asked for any. Its just press people making up a story.

I would have loved that camp battle.
It wouldnt have been a battle. The FO is not going to start rosen when we took murray #1. Bottom line. He could outperform and still not get the job.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Other than, say, Murray, Fitz, DJ and PP21...

No job is safe.

Within that context, I'm looking for some guys below the radar to step up and seize the day.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Murphy vs. Fitzgerald

Fitzgerald vs. learning the scheme

O line vs anything that moves (bet on anything that moves)

DJ now vs his rookie year (averaged all of 53 yards a game last season = $24,600 per yard in pay)

Vance Joseph vs Patrick Peterson (PP already wants out - can Vance get him on board)

Keim vs alcohol - joking - but his ability to shore up the team

Entire Kicking Game - there's no way anyone has any confidence in what's there now.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose