How many teams wanted to trade up for number 1 to draft Murray?

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We will never know the answer. I can't remember seeing any info from last draft about teams trying to move up to 1 for Baker as well.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I can't say I'm not a little tired of rehashing it too, but every time someone decides to bring up how great he is, I have a hard time not engaging.

But I really, really hate the concept of "he's your guy now, so stop complaining." No? I will continue to be a critic until proven wrong. It doesn't make me less of a fan.

I hear Murray likes apple pie more than blueberry.

I know you concoct some inane argument based on that info...

:p

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Apparently Mayock didn't want to take any risks at all in the draft, be it in terms of character flaws or technique deficits. He passed on much better athletes with character or technique question marks. I think the reason is that their roster has been lacking consistent and dependable players. So he got 3 players in the 1st round that are more likely solid NFL starters rather than superstars, maybe even below average in terms of 1st round talent. But they will play hard, mistake-free football and set a new tone for the Raiders franchise. They continued this trend in rounds 2 to 5 as well, selecting fundamentally sound football players without big upside. Time will tell, but building a solid foundation sometimes pays off. They for sure avoided a Reddick or Nkemdiche type pick, where projection and athleticism are higher valued than actual production and football IQ. We made those high upside picks because we falsely believed that we are close, living in the past. At least Mayock has recognized that the Raiders aren't close and need solid football players more than flashy high risk prospects.

No, Mayock wanted to be cute and try to show everyone he knows where the gems are

Reactions: PJ1

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can't say I'm not a little tired of rehashing it too, but every time someone decides to bring up how great he is, I have a hard time not engaging.

But I really, really hate the concept of "he's your guy now, so stop complaining." No? I will continue to be a critic until proven wrong. It doesn't make me less of a fan.
As the saying goes around here.. you must be fun at parties. :D

Last edited:

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
I wonder how many/if any teams talked to Keim about trading up for Murray?I don`t recall reading or seeing a lot action in that direction.Surely for such a "transcendent,once in a lifetime player" some other teams would be chomping at the bit to draft him.Wasn`t Gruden in Oakland supposed to be all slobberknocker over Murray?

None, zero. Or in Latin terms, way fewer than Rosen.

Hypothesis

Draft Junkie
Reaction score
Inconclusive. None of us here are GM's nor are we privy to the behind the scenes stuff that go on. None of us can state for a fact that there was no interest in moving up to 1 just as none if us can say whether there were offers. For all we know, the Cardinals may have set a hard price that discouraged teams from attempting.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I asked a question and got nothing saying or showing me that any other teams wants to trade up for Murray at #1.Haven`t read or seen anything saying it was even discussed.
That could have plenty to do with the price that the Cards were putting on trading up. Just because there wasn't any serious talk about any teams trading up doesn't mean that they weren't interested in the player available, but maybe they valued Murray so highly that it was going to take an unbelievable offer for them to give the pick away.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Yep move on!

Some here are acting just like the left with the Prez when no evidence was found to nab him lol

It’s ridiculous doing this crap day in, day out
Absolutely. Just read the title of this video from Time.

"
Kyler Murray, A Black Man, Was The #1 NFL Draft Pick, Trump Congratulated The #2 Pick Instead | TIME"

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

perivolaki

perivolaki
Reaction score
The Giants thought Daniel Jones (DANIEL JONES!) was worth the sixth pick in the draft.
It's interesting. I happened to catch a little bit of a local sports radio show and they had former NFL quarterback Sage Rosenfels on.

He does evaluations of quarterbacks and he said it didn't surprise him that Jones went high. He had him ranked higher than Haskins. He had already talked about Murray before I started listening so I don't know what he said about him.

He felt Jones made quicker and better decisions and got the ball out quicker.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I asked a simple freaking question.I really wanted to know if there was any interest in trading up for Murray.If that is pisses people off then do be it.

Good Lord the guy asked a simple question about whether anybody wanted to trade up for Murray.

There is a reason BW52 asked the question and it wasn't basic curiosity. He's still trying to pound home a point that the Cards shouldn't have picked Murray. Saying otherwise would be at best unaware of ones own thoughts to at worst flat out lying. IMO

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is a reason BW52 asked the question and it wasn't basic curiosity. He's still trying to pound home a point that the Cards shouldn't have picked Murray. Saying otherwise would be at best unaware of ones own thoughts to at worst flat out lying. IMO

And in my opinion if you don't like his question or you believe it is annoying move on and read something else.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
It's interesting. I happened to catch a little bit of a local sports radio show and they had former NFL quarterback Sage Rosenfels on.

He does evaluations of quarterbacks and he said it didn't surprise him that Jones went high. He had him ranked higher than Haskins. He had already talked about Murray before I started listening so I don't know what he said about him.

He felt Jones made quicker and better decisions and got the ball out quicker.

I liked Jones more too, but it's more an indictment of Haskins.

Jones was just not worth the 6th pick. Giants should have drafted Allen and traded up from 17 to like 10. Allen and Jones is better than Jones and Lawrence. Lawrence is maybe the worst player to go in round one. Run stopping DTs are never worth 1st round picks. Even the very best arent.

Baker was a good pick, but that doesnt change the fact that they parlayed Odell Beckham Jr into a 2 down lineman.

OP
OP
B

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
That could have plenty to do with the price that the Cards were putting on trading up. Just because there wasn't any serious talk about any teams trading up doesn't mean that they weren't interested in the player available, but maybe they valued Murray so highly that it was going to take an unbelievable offer for them to give the pick away.

That is a possibility.It is also a possibility that no other team rated him high enough to be worthy of trading up to #1 for him.There were several respected draft services that had Murray around the 10-15 range. And a few others had him rated behind Haskins.FWIW he is the QB and Cards sink or swim with him.

Reactions: PJ1

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Maybe not just for Murray, but I’m certain there were teams willing to trade for the #1 pick. Only problem was no one was going to give Keim a king’s ransom.

Funny thinking back: Murray would likely have been available at pick #4. If the FO was hellbent on Murray, we could’ve had him plus another impact player.

OP
OP
B

BW52

Registered
Reaction score

Okay Karnak what are tomorrows lottery numbers since you think you are a mindreader now?
You got something to say just come and say it.
I am curious if there was any offers for Murray at #1 .Yes I hate the pick and think its a colossal screwup.So if wanting to know if anyone heard or read about interest from other teams wanting Murray at number 1 is upsetting you then too bad.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose