What is the plan?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's my offseason bucket list. Hire Monty Wiliams as Head Coach. If he's willing, bring Koko back in to do some scouting and player development and then draft Zion with the number 1 pick, trade the Milwaukee pick plus 2 unprotected future picks for Morant (if they like him more than the other PG options), re-sign Oubre, Holmes and maybe Bender, decide to keep or move on from Warren and that's a wrap.

I'm not sure why Kokoskov would want to come back to the Suns. He is getting paid the salary of a head coach.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's impossible to evaluate Warren fairly because (a) he's often hurt and (b) the Suns have been terrible. I think he could be a very valuable third scorer on a decent team, but we haven't had the opportunity to find out yet. He's not a #1, but he and Booker were on the active roster together for something like only 30 games last year, and of course Ayton is a major work in progress.

He is suffering from the same thing Booker has. When your forced to do more you take more chances, your force the ball and make bad decisions.

If had the luxury of a better team he probably plays a little different.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure why Kokoskov would want to come back to the Suns.

Slim chance perhaps but it was a bucket list more than a plan. Hopefully the fact that he was reportedly unsure about wanting to return as Head Coach makes him realize that the position just wasn't a great fit for him. But he's worked for us here twice so that would suggest he gets along with Robert, he lives in Phoenix and player development seems right up his alley. He could also help out a lot with our international scouting. I like the guy and I just think it would help our national AND international image a bit if we offered and he accepted that kind of position with us.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Slim chance perhaps but it was a bucket list more than a plan. Hopefully the fact that he was reportedly unsure about wanting to return as Head Coach makes him realize that the position just wasn't a great fit for him. But he's worked for us here twice so that would suggest he gets along with Robert, he lives in Phoenix and player development seems right up his alley. He could also help out a lot with our international scouting. I like the guy and I just think it would help our national AND international image a bit if we offered and he accepted that kind of position with us.

I do think Kokoskov would have helped the Suns international image. Too bad the Suns didn't think of this before they hired him as head coach.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do think Kokoskov would have helped the Suns international image. Too bad the Suns didn't think of this before they hired him as head coach.

I don't know, you have to prepare for contingencies but that would be too much like planning to fail IMO.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know, you have to prepare for contingencies but that would be too much like planning to fail IMO.

I was speaking a bit tongue in cheek but the Suns could seriously improve their scouting here and abroad.

Gone are the days when they Suns spotted a talent like Dragic overseas.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Really could have looked outside the box on the Igor fire. They have to pay him so just move him to player development or demote. Maybe they just have money to burn.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I know nothing about him but from a brief internet search he sounds like a fairly well rounded basketball with a focus on analytics. And maybe he can improve our international reputation if we can't bring Koko in.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know nothing about him but from a brief internet search he sounds like a fairly well rounded basketball with a focus on analytics. And maybe he can improve our international reputation if we can't bring Koko in.

wait... do you think Koko is coming back in some capacity?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wait... do you think Koko is coming back in some capacity?

Well, not now with the report that we're looking to hire Fois and realistically, probably not ever. I just think hiring Koko would have been some positive press for the organization, not that we need any. I suggested it in another thread prior to this report.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Well, not now with the report that we're looking to hire Fois and realistically, probably not ever. I just think hiring Koko would have been some positive press for the organization, not that we need any. I suggested it in another thread prior to this report.
I'm still trying to figure out in what universe you think that could even possibly happen, whether or not Fois is hired. I don't think there is ANY current circumstance where Kokoskov would come back to the Suns, for any reason whatsoever.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out in what universe you think that could even possibly happen, whether or not Fois is hired. I don't think there is ANY current circumstance where Kokoskov would come back to the Suns, for any reason whatsoever.

I never know how to respond to something like this.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@AzStevenCal I know I want to go back to places I have been fired! C'mon man! :)

I know it's unlikely. My point was based on the report that Koko wasn't sure he wanted to continue as Head Coach which opens the door for the possibility the separation was more amicable than is usual. It's a long shot for sure but like I said, he's worked for us twice and he has maintained his residence in Phoenix so he clearly likes the area.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

If the Suns hired Kokoskov to return to help with player development that would kill the narrative they pushed of how he was a coach that was brought in for a veteran team and struggled with player development. I don't recall exactly what Jones said but he definitely implied that Igor was let go because he wasn't developing players like they wanted but then he also said he wasn't hired to develop players, since it was a "veteran team".

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns hired Kokoskov to return to help with player development that would kill the narrative they pushed of how he was a coach that was brought in for a veteran team and struggled with player development. I don't recall exactly what Jones said but he definitely implied that Igor was let go because he wasn't developing players like they wanted but then he also said he wasn't hired to develop players, since it was a "veteran team".

I didn't come away with this impression from what I read and heard. I thought he had difficulty with game coaching and explaining scheme to a group of players, player development isn't quite the same thing. And since he has a history of being successful in that arena, it made sense to me that his communication difficulties lay elsewhere. But to be fair, I haven't put much time or effort into following the firing so perhaps my interpretation is off.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I know it's unlikely. My point was based on the report that Koko wasn't sure he wanted to continue as Head Coach which opens the door for the possibility the separation was more amicable than is usual. It's a long shot for sure but like I said, he's worked for us twice and he has maintained his residence in Phoenix so he clearly likes the area.
One of the companies I worked for didn't let guys who took supervisor positions and didn't like being supervisors stay on as employees. They said in their experience it never worked out for either side. You have people you supervised, and potentially may have irritated, and then you are back on their same level and people refuse to work them. Also, some guys knew what went on in manager meetings and were privy to things in other departments, and that didn't work well when they were back in the working man's arena. Not saying this is the Suns philosophy, but I have talked to other people who have told me their companies did the same thing.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Right, the narrative of the firing would have been VASTLY different if him returning in another capacity was even considered.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
One of the companies I worked for didn't let guys who took supervisor positions and didn't like being supervisors stay on as employees. They said in their experience it never worked out for either side. You have people you supervised, and potentially may have irritated, and then you are back on their same level and people refuse to work them. Also, some guys knew what went on in manager meetings and were privy to things in other departments, and that didn't work well when they were back in the working man's arena. Not saying this is the Suns philosophy, but I have talked to other people who have told me their companies did the same thing.
I agree! It would be a demotion (even if not in the eyes of the ex-Head Coach) and that is a negative. Why look for negatives?

It is best for the terminated individual (even if he wasn't sure he was right for the job) to get a fresh start somewhere else.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't care how good Warren is. If he can't stay on the floor, it doesn't matter. I'm ready to move on.
^this. Durability is the most important attribute in any athlete.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't know if this had been posted... that the Suns would look to trade their first round pick if they don't get Zion or Morant.

Evan Sidery‏ @esidery

.@Gambo987 said that if the Suns don’t land Zion Williamson or Ja Morant, they will look to trade their pick.

2:41 PM - 9 May 2019

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't know if this had been posted... that the Suns would look to trade their first round pick if they don't get Zion or Morant.

Evan Sidery‏ @esidery

.@Gambo987 said that if the Suns don’t land Zion Williamson or Ja Morant, they will look to trade their pick.

2:41 PM - 9 May 2019

I don't think this quote has been posted but it's been hinted about for a few months now. I'd go even further and say that we might trade it no matter how far it falls out of the first spot. Morant and a few others are nice projects but everyone mentioned other than Zion comes with big concerns IMO and we don't need any more of those.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson