2019 NBA Playoff Discussion

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

as I mentioned Sunday he and another Rocket apparently did some stuff in the lockerroom and had an argument with a fan before they got to the lockerroom so I'm actually surprised the fine is not bigger and that stuff hasn't come out. They were talking about it on the local NBC Sports Bay area channel their sideline reporter was talking as if she actually saw the argument with the fan and heard about the stuff in the lockerroom but if it's just 35K it sounds like that didn't actually happen.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
as I mentioned Sunday he and another Rocket apparently did some stuff in the lockerroom and had an argument with a fan before they got to the lockerroom so I'm actually surprised the fine is not bigger and that stuff hasn't come out. They were talking about it on the local NBC Sports Bay area channel their sideline reporter was talking as if she actually saw the argument with the fan and heard about the stuff in the lockerroom but if it's just 35K it sounds like that didn't actually happen.

Or the league wants to keep it quiet because the team that wins this series is the favorite for the title. You don't want the negative press right now, especially in that series and involving one of their stars.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Brian Windhorst‏Verified account @WindhorstESPN 10m10 minutes ago
Veteran official Scott Foster has been assigned to Warriors-Rockets tonight.

Chris Paul, James Harden & Rockets have a long-running feud with Foster. He hasn’t worked a Rockets game since February, when Harden was fined for criticizing him after fouling out of a game in LA.
That’s what you get for “auditing” game 7 of last year and releasing results saying series was stolen from you.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I love Butler, respect his game. I don't think anyone else on that team has the experience to carry this team into the playoffs. He brings it on both ends of the court.
Embiid has become an unlikable guy. I'm still rooting for the raptors.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Scott Foster is highly disliked by both teams...most games he refs with dubs Curry and Klay typically both get two fouls each within the first 8-9 minutes of the game.

My prediction: Curry, Klay, Harden and Paul all have two fouls by the end of the first quarter and Green and Paul will both get ejected tonight.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Food for thought:

James Harden is disrespecting the unwritten rules of the game

The way Harden pleads for fouls on jump shots can feel like someone calling offensive fouls in a pickup game: technically allowed, he said, but weak sauce.

“Everybody pretty much understands that gray area,” he said. “I feel like James Harden is in the space where he abuses that, and people think he’s better than that. Like, you can’t be that good and get all these soft calls too. He’s the guy in the pickup game who doesn’t really get it — I’m calling my call even if it messes the game up.”

https://theundefeated.com/features/...isrespects-the-unwritten-rules-of-basketball/

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm still loving some Harden, he's proven that alone he can carry his team. I hate the big 3's and what not of the warriors and the heat team that won. Which is why I had respect for Lebron that one title run where they came back against the Warriors. I've always loved the underdog role.

People are over magnifying these Harden calls. Others overlook the lack of foul calls the Warriors should be receiving.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scott Foster is highly disliked by both teams...most games he refs with dubs Curry and Klay typically both get two fouls each within the first 8-9 minutes of the game.

My prediction: Curry, Klay, Harden and Paul all have two fouls by the end of the first quarter and Green and Paul will both get ejected tonight.

Yep I read the earlier post and thought wait Houston hates the guy too? It's changed since it became public but May 4 2018 a website revealed the Warriors were 4-4 in the postseason in games Foster had reffed, and 33-7 in games he had NOT reffed. So 825 win % without him, 500 with him. I think the last 3 wins they had against Houston last year in the playoffs, were with Foster so they're over 500 with him even won a game in the finals with him reffing despite him ejecting Curry and Livingston.

NBA says it's not because of the rockets complaining this has been the schedule all along.

Tonight could be rough.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still loving some Harden, he's proven that alone he can carry his team. I hate the big 3's and what not of the warriors and the heat team that won. Which is why I had respect for Lebron that one title run where they came back against the Warriors. I've always loved the underdog role.

People are over magnifying these Harden calls. Others overlook the lack of foul calls the Warriors should be receiving.

The problem is he's selective. He's complaining about no calls but you ever hear him complain they don't call travelling or carrying enough? he does it as much as anybody, especially the travels. The hooks, the clearouts with the right hand etc. I don't know if people caught it but he pulled a Draymond on one of the jump balls in the first game I think it was against iggy, he tried to hold Iggy down from jumping, didn't work Warriors got the tip. He wants to get away with all that stuff and benefit from it, but if he doesn't get a call himself he goes nuts.

The first game both ways was insane with the amount of complaining. And with Scott Foster, look out below.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was sure that was a broken finger on Steph because he didn't try to straighten it like you normally do with a jammed finger. But they said dislocated no fracture. The eye for Harden must be pretty bad he's been out for quite awhile now.

Weird first quarter 2 injured stars, turnovers galore and the Warriors acted at the end of the quarter like they didn't know how much time was left, nobody went after Rivers and he hit a 3.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good lord... how many times was Houston going to run that pick and roll lob to Capella only to watch GS steal it or for him to fumble it away in the fourth when the game got close. I would have kicked my TV in and been screaming bloody murder at DA to freaking adjust.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Shocked the manimal not getting more PT for Houston.

Last edited:

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That Chris Paul contract is going to look very horrific in the near future if it's not already.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good lord... how many times was Houston going to run that pick and roll lob to Capella only to watch GS steal it or for him to fumble it away in the fourth when the game got close. I would have kicked my TV in and been screaming bloody murder at DA to freaking adjust.

Yeah they finally seemed to figure it out later on and Harden was keeping it all the way. against Utah that didn't work because of Gobert, but the Warriors aren't really playing a shot blocker so Harden and Gordon can go all the way.

The eye injuries to Harden change the whole script of the series as we have no idea how long that's going to linger even with 3 days off. I'm amazed how well he played with it. Curry's finger is clearly bothering him but I think Harden is much more impaired right now.

Really no beef with the refs best officiated game I've seen in awhile.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
The series is definitely not over. The Warriors failed to close out a single quarter in the first three (and got really sloppy in the final 30 seconds of the fourth). Houston closed out the periods in the following fashion:

1st: 6-2 run final :28
2nd: 5-0 run final :43
3rd: 8-0 run final 4:32

Game three is going to be tough to win for Dubs. I fully expect PJ Tucker to have a big game, Gordon has played well.

Last edited:

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
I also think whichever team loses this series could be in for a big letdown in the WCF because this matchup.

This was supposed to be the WCF...

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also think whichever team loses this series could be in for a big letdown in the WCF because this matchup.

This was supposed to be the WCF...

The WCF I think barring more injuries is going to be pretty one sided. Portland was a legit threat but losing Nurkic, Kanter playing hurt and McCollum seems to be less than 100% too I just don't think even Lillard is good enough to take them to the finals with the current roster. Unless Zach Collins and Meyers Leonard take huge steps forward now I don't see them winning the West. Denver is well coached and good but they don't really have much experience at this level.

If it's the Warriors they seem to matchup really well with Denver, they won 3 of 4 against them this year the wins were all one sided. The one loss was 2 points, third game of the season, 3rd in 5 days, and the back end of a Utah and Denver road trip. The other 3 games have been completely dominated by the Warriors they just seem to matchup well with Denver(even without Cousins).

If it's Houston I just can't see Portland having enough to beat them and again Houston beat Denver 3 of 4 the only loss, Capela didn't play and the 3 wins were all lopsided.

So I think the winner of Rockets and Warriors will be heavy favorites to win the West.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The series is definitely not over. The Warriors failed to close out a single quarter in the first three (and got really sloppy in the final 30 seconds of the fourth). Houston closed out the periods in the following fashion:

1st: 6-2 run final :28
2nd: 5-0 run final :43
3rd: 8-0 run final 4:32

Game three is going to be tough to win for Dubs. I fully expect PJ Tucker to have a big game, Gordon has played well.

That seemed to happen the whole Clips series too. At times they are their own worst enemies they just don't concentrate, Curry does it regularly. The one before the half last night was infuriating they let Rivers go end to end for a 3 with nobody really picking him up.

Harden's eyes have to be a concern he's admitted he could barely see when he came back in,is that going to get better or worse in the next few days is anybody's guess.

seems like every year there's some major injury to the opponent.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So I think the winner of Rockets and Warriors will be heavy favorites to win the West.

Who do you like in the East and who don't you want to see make it out?

I think the Raptors are probably the worst matchup for the Warriors, provided Lowry doesn't fall apart mentally. I think the Raptors are capable of beating any team coming out of the West and they're probably the only Eastern Conference team that can do that.

I think Brad Stevens is an excellent coach and Boston could push the Warriors some but I don't think they can beat them in a 7 game series. I like Boston's odds more than Philly or Milwaukee. Boston and Houston would be a really fun series.

With Philadelphia they have to worry about Embiid's health, which won't get better as the playoffs continue and Ben Simmons can't make a shot from beyond 10 feet to save his life. I don't believe Butler and Tobias Harris have had enough time to be fully integrated into their system, Harris especially.

With Milwaukee I don't think they have the pieces around Giannis to beat the Warriors but I'd bet on them against the Rockets.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Enes Kanter is not being listed on the injury report for Wednesday's Game 2 in Denver.
Kanter was in obvious discomfort during Game 1, but he still logged 33 minutes and finished with 26 points and seven rebounds, so it's tough to say it impacted his play all that much. He opted to play in Game 1 without any pain medication, so it'll be interesting to see if he continues to go that route.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson