Define cards success

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Coryell set the league on its ear with his passing offenses after moving up from the college ranks. He won two consecutive division titles (1974–1975) with the St. Louis Cardinals. The Cardinals offense emphasized the pass while running the standard pro set.[5] Coryell moved to the Chargers and reached the playoffs in four consecutive seasons including three straight division titles (1979–1982). The Chargers in 1979 were the first AFC Western Division champion to run more passing plays (541) than rushing (481).[6] Coryell's Chargers teams led the league in passing in seven of eight years.[7] The Pro Football Hall of Famecalled the Chargers' offenses under Coryell "one of the most explosive and exciting offenses that ever set foot on an NFL field."[8] Coryell is the first coach ever to win more than 100 games at both the collegiate and professional level. Coryell's offensive innovations changed the entire nature of the league from a run-first league to a pass-first one.

Today most NFL offenses' passing games are at least partially based on Coryell conventions.

Former coach of the St. Louis Rams, Mike Martz, says "Don is the father of the modern passing game. People talk about the West Coast offense, but Don started the 'West Coast' decades ago and kept updating it. You look around the NFL now, and so many teams are running a version of the Coryell offense. Coaches have added their own touches, but it's still Coryell's offense. He has disciples all over the league. He changed the game.".[9]

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Murray starts at least 13 games and throws more TDs than ints. Post season nice if Fitz & Suggs play well enough to return.

mwanamatapa

Veteran
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don Coryell should be in the Hall Fame. Such a strong influence on the game. The Air Raid has elements of Air Coryell in it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Murray starts at least 13 games and throws more TDs than ints. Post season nice if Fitz & Suggs play well enough to return.

That is not a very high standard. Murray needs to play all 16 games. Keim said he is the starter from day 1.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
That is not a very high standard. Murray needs to play all 16 games. Keim said he is the starter from day 1.

Murray being 15% banged up is more significant to him than any other starting QB in the league. If they throw him out there to get his brains beat in like Rosen they are truly inept. Expectations are sky highl but they can’t repeat last year if/when the line implodes.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Murray being 15% banged up is more significant to him than any other starting QB in the league. If they throw him out there to get his brains beat in like Rosen they are truly inept. Expectations are sky highl but they can’t repeat last year if/when the line implodes.

He wont get his brains beat in like Rosen because he'll get rid of the ball quicker and he moves in the pocket better.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I read a great article today on the impact of adding a QB like Murray to an offense and it historically add 0.5 yards per carry to a RB so I expect at least 1100 yards from DJ just based on that bump.

Last edited:

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
He wont get his brains beat in like Rosen because he'll get rid of the ball quicker and he moves in the pocket better.
Haha, oh my god dude.

Can you handwave away anything more about Murray? I swear you weren't his biggest fan of all time like a month ago... maybe I'm just forgetting.

He has no excuse but to play every single game if he is physically able. Zero, none. We'll watch how dynamic he is when he's nursing an injury and isn't blocked by the best in the game.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Haha, oh my god dude.

Can you handwave away anything more about Murray? I swear you weren't his biggest fan of all time like a month ago... maybe I'm just forgetting.

He has no excuse but to play every single game if he is physically able. Zero, none. We'll watch how dynamic he is when he's nursing an injury and isn't blocked by the best in the game.
Care to explain how what he said was wrong? Rosen was regularly late getting the ball out of his hands last season and for a non mobile QB that is pretty much a death sentence and is even worse behind a bad offensive line. Murray will have the ability to escape the pocket when it's collapsing or get the ball out before the pressure gets there.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
I think the record is of less importance. Of course 0 - 16 is unacceptable, but IMO it's irrelevant if it 5 - 11 or 7 - 9.

I'm expecting a (or close to) top 10 defense and would rate that as a succes.

On offense it's more tricky. The team is introducing a new system, a rookie QB and have multiple new/rookie players in that system. Succes for me would be to conclude that we have a good and competitive offensive system and the mast majority of the new players are looking the part.

Last edited:

perivolaki

perivolaki
Reaction score
I think the record is of less importance. Of course 0 - 16 is unacceptable, but IMO it's irrelevant if it 5 - 11 or 7 - 9.

I'm expecting a (or close to) top 10 defense and would rate that as a succes.

On offense it's more tricky. The team is introducing a new system, a rookie QB and have multiple new/rookie players in that system. Succes for me would be to conclude that we have a good and competitive offensive system and the mast majority of the new players looking the part.
Oh this is way to rational. What are you doing on here? ;)

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Care to explain how what he said was wrong? Rosen was regularly late getting the ball out of his hands last season and for a non mobile QB that is pretty much a death sentence and is even worse behind a bad offensive line. Murray will have the ability to escape the pocket when it's collapsing or get the ball out before the pressure gets there.

This is laughable revisionist history. Dude had historically little time to get rid of the ball. Something like 2.8 seconds per drop back or something. But Rosen was "late" getting the ball out of his hands :biglaugh:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
This is laughable revisionist history. Dude had historically little time to get rid of the ball. Something like 2.8 seconds per drop back or something. But Rosen was "late" getting the ball out of his hands :biglaugh:
Rosen was absolutely late getting the ball out of his hands.............................

Obviously if he is getting hit 1-2 seconds after the snap than those are not the plays that I'm talking about, but when he did have time to throw he was usually slow going through his progressions and when he did find his target he was slow getting the ball out. You can make the argument that all of the constant pressure was weighing on his mind when he actually did have time, but you can not tell me that he didn't struggle in these areas when he was given time to throw...

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Rosen was absolutely late getting the ball out of his hands.............................

Obviously if he is getting hit 1-2 seconds after the snap than those are not the plays that I'm talking about, but when he did have time to throw he was usually slow going through his progressions and when he did find his target he was slow getting the ball out. You can make the argument that all of the constant pressure was weighing on his mind when he actually did have time, but you can not tell me that he didn't struggle in these areas when he was given time to throw...
Agree that Rosen often took too much time. But on the flip side, his targets couldn't get open either, forcing him to hold onto the ball. Bracketing Larry was all opponents needed to do. Kirk was a rookie and took a few weeks to adjust. Unfortunately he landed on IR just when he started to create seperation. The rest of our receiving corps was UDFA level and I predict all of them gone, other than maybe keeping Sherfield as gunner or Cooper as returner. Neither of them will play on offense.

Rosen needs a clean pocket and fairly decent weapons to succeed. Think of Matt Ryan or Sam Bradford at his peak. Unfortunately Rosen had neither. His internal clock was broken after a few series with a bad OL and inconsistent WR group. No offensive imagination, no push in the run game and playing from behind all the time are other reasons Rosen held onto the ball too long looking for chances. Just a bad combination when getting rid of the ball was already a flaw in his college tape.

Thankfully with KK + KM I see a much quicker passing offense with lots of motion, deception and movement. This offense relies more on playmakers than it does on the OL, therefore I understand the focus on WR in the draft. The OL isn't asked to block for a very long time. And even if things break down quickly, you at least have a QB who can take off or extend.

Last edited:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Agree that Rosen often took too much time. But on the flip side, his targets couldn't get open either, forcing him to hold onto the ball. Bracketing Larry was all opponents needed to do. Kirk was a rookie and took a few weeks to adjust. Unfortunately he landed on IR just when he started to create seperation. The rest of our receiving corps was UDFA level and I predict all of them gone, other than maybe keeping Sherfield as gunner or Cooper as returner. Neither of them will play on offense.

Rosen needs a clean pocket and fairly decent weapons to succeed. Think of Matt Ryan or Sam Bradford at his peak. Unfortunately Rosen had neither. His internal clock was broken after a few series with a bad OL and inconsistent WR group.
I completely agree that there was a lot of poor play to go around, but my point is that Rosen had his hand in it as well. His film is littered with plays where he had enough time, made the correct read and then held the ball just a little too long. That caused a lot of throws to end up incomplete, intercepted or complete with little to no YAC yards. This is absolutely something that he can get much better at, but that was definitely a decent part of the ineptitude of the offense last year.

OP
OP
THESMEL

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Sam Bradford faced the same problems and this team and fan base destroyed him. Blamed him for the beginning of earth until next year. Have seen rainbows shooting out fans AZ over DA, hall, Skelton etc... and manure shooting out our AZ about Leinart, Bradford, Palmer etc....
will the real cardinals fan base please stand up! Haha

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
First off, Murray has not played a single snap in this league yet. We have no idea if he'll hold on to the ball longer or not.

Second, "run for your life kid" is not an offense. Meaning, we cannot expect to be successful if every play is literally "there's someone in the backfield in 2.8 seconds and Kyler has to run around and play sandlot football." Air Raid or not, timing is important in the NFL.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
First off, Murray has not played a single snap in this league yet. We have no idea if he'll hold on to the ball longer or not.

Second, "run for your life kid" is not an offense. Meaning, we cannot expect to be successful if every play is literally "there's someone in the backfield in 2.8 seconds and Kyler has to run around and play sandlot football." Air Raid or not, timing is important in the NFL.
You didn't respond to my point at all. We know for a fact that Rosen does have an issue with holding the ball too long as can be seen by watching tape of last year. Murray could have the same issue as well, but at least with him there is a chance that it isn't an issue.

Also I have never suggested that "running for your life" is any sort of legitimate strategy, but in games where the O-line is really struggling it could easily be the difference between winning and losing the game. When the line plays poorly with a stationary QB you have no chance, but at least with a mobile QB you have some chance.