SI article on Josh Rosen and him being traded

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When Keim said that Rosen "is the QB for now," wasn't he immediately depressing Rosen's trade value?
The really crazy thing, to me, is that half the people criticizing Keim for "squandering Rosen's trade value" say he blew it by leaking the information too soon, and half say he blew it by waiting too long. :shrug:

...dbs

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
GM's are ALWAYS trying to get the player they want for less. If multiple GM's wanted Rosen then that's leverage for the Cards.

But those same GMs Also realized that there was likely no way that Rosen and Murray would work on the same team so Keim was having to play the other teams game .

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
The really crazy thing, to me, is that half the people criticizing Keim for "squandering Rosen's trade value" say he blew it by leaking the information too soon, and half say he blew it by waiting too long. :shrug:

...dbs

Notice that 0% say he handled it well. He is paying for his mismanagement of the team last season. I don’t see Keim in Arizona long. Right or not, he is going to be held accountable for the Wilks hire

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But those same GMs Also realized that there was likely no way that Rosen and Murray would work on the same team so Keim was having to play the other teams game .

That's assuming that those other GM's decided to not try and get a QB which they really needed on of. If GM's really wanted Rosen then they would have made better offers and gotten Rosen. Those other GM's decided that 3 rookie QB's were a better option then Rosen because they spent more to get those QB's not only in draft capital but money and salary cap space.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
An you imagine if he takes over for that one d
If I were in their shoes I’d have hoped to trade the #1 to the raiders for them to take Bosa. Or even to the Niners (admittedly low chance of such a trade within division). At 4 I’d land Murray and walk away with another #1 or more. If they were shopping Rosen prior everyone would know they are taking Murray and no one would have to trade up to get the defender they wanted. At least that would’ve been my logic.

I honestly have no idea why people don’t see this. Trying to trade him beforehand would have been idiotic.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
That's assuming that those other GM's decided to not try and get a QB which they really needed on of. If GM's really wanted Rosen then they would have made better offers and gotten Rosen. Those other GM's decided that 3 rookie QB's were a better option then Rosen because they spent more to get those QB's not only in draft capital but money and salary cap space.

For whatever reasons they chose to go another route.We don't know why.Maybe the other GMs decided they would rather start fresh with a raw rookie instead of Rosen.Who knows but making the assumption no one wanted him is wrong or else Keim is lying.So either Keim is lying and 5 teams didn't call and ask about Rosen.So his statement was just PR face saving?

Last edited:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
For whatever reasons they chose to go another route.We don't know way.Maybe the other GMs decided they would rather start fresh with a raw rookie instead of Rosen.Who knows but making the assumption no one wanted him is wrong or else Keim is lying.So either Keim is lying and 5 teams didn't call and ask about Rosen.So his statement was just PR face saving?
Keim forked up. By hedging..he gave those other gms a chance to fall in love with other qbs.
He needed to give murry a hard deadline on the baseball clause...around march 30th...and if he doesnt agree by then we dont draft him.
That gives you three weeks to start shopping rosen befoe the giants have a chance to fall in love with a kid from duke..or before the skins owner falls in love with a local kid at ohio state.
But keim never hardlined murry until draft day...he screwed up and lost his leverage...we had it because we didnt have to draft murry.
Had he done that we likely get more for rosen and we could have had kylers contract done by draft day.
The only leverage we had was that we didnt absolutely have to draft murry because we already had rosen

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score

...dbs
Not me I'm bashing him for drafting Murray in the first place then trading Rosen when it may have been more practical to keep him till at least training camp or the season as there doesnt appear to be a very good backup but mostly I didnt Want Murray at all plus Rosen is dirt cheap for the next few years

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not me I'm bashing him for drafting Murray in the first place then trading Rosen when it may have been more practical to keep him till at least training camp or the season as there doesnt appear to be a very good backup but mostly I didnt Want Murray at all plus Rosen is dirt cheap for the next few years
Murray its an obsession for u right
Can u please try to post about something else and ignore any Murray discussion for awhile?

DRM08

Veteran
Reaction score
Excellent perspective from Rosen in those comments. He got paid over $10 million signing bonus last year. Had a very nice lifestyle in the Phoenix area and now gets to live in Miami.

He supposedly loves the beach, so he got traded to a great place for the beach lifestyle. Since Miami has a pretty messy QB situation in recent years, he has a great chance to be their franchise guy for a long time.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
The local radio color guy for the pats who also hosts the mid day show talked to people with the Pats about Rosen. He said Keim only reached out to the pats after Murray was drafted and at that point the patriots laughed since they knew he had no leverage. When Keim was asking for the #32 the conversation ended.

Also came out that Keim told Rosen’s agent to call teams and start doing bidding. It was Keims idea for Rosen’s agent to reach out to the pats. Rosen’s agent didn’t get a phone call til after bosa was selected. The feeling the pats got was the Keim wanted to stay with Rosen but was overruled by the owners which is why no calls were made sooner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
The local radio color guy for the pats who also hosts the mid day show talked to people with the Pats about Rosen. He said Keim only reached out to the pats after Murray was drafted and at that point the patriots laughed since they knew he had no leverage. When Keim was asking for the #32 the conversation ended.

Also came out that Keim told Rosen’s agent to call teams and start doing bidding. It was Keims idea for Rosen’s agent to reach out to the pats. Rosen’s agent didn’t get a phone call til after bosa was selected. The feeling the pats got was the Keim wanted to stay with Rosen but was overruled by the owners which is why no calls were made sooner.

It may not be true, but what I do thing is true is that Keim has had his sack clipped. Dead man walking. A total yes man at this point.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was reported on Thursday that the Cardinals wanted a guarantee that Kyler will only play football. While they can't stop him from retiring and going to baseball, they can put language than recoups money and they can also put language preventing him from playing both. Once they got that guarentee, they said they were taking him. That's when they put Rosen in the market. Bosa and Williams were born options until that point and told up until ther draft they could still be taken. Keim did the best he could in that situation.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

...dbs

The latter IMO. Keim’s leverage wasn’t great either way but it’s a lot weaker after you actually pick Murray. Like teams around the league are going to blow up their draft plans ten minutes before it starts.

And for the record I never bought into both guys coming in. I think he would’ve gone for a 3rd later on so I suppose it could’ve been worse.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I were in their shoes I’d have hoped to trade the #1 to the raiders for them to take Bosa. Or even to the Niners (admittedly low chance of such a trade within division). At 4 I’d land Murray and walk away with another #1 or more. If they were shopping Rosen prior everyone would know they are taking Murray and no one would have to trade up to get the defender they wanted. At least that would’ve been my logic.
Well put

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Sick - why can’t 2 top 10 QBs compete for the job, why listen to all the outside bs - their only stake is to hope we suck - it’s better for them.
Gone are the days when a former starter like unitis backed up morrel and morrel backed up griese with the perfect season. Closest I’ve seen is foles and wence - I understand it with the salary cap - but both were under rookie contracts and Rosen was paid 17 million already - nobody even mentions that! It kind of sorta matters - be grown up - Rosen was ready to compete and I would have loved to see it.

I understand the argument - but get off the competition makes teams better if you ain’t got the stones to practice it.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Steve Keim has said in many interviews they didn't know for sure. After they did due diligence on Kyler, at the very end is when they decided on him. Is that the truth? Only he knows.
You also have to consider the idea that maybe Murray decides to go back to baseball before the draft. We would look like complete fools if we traded Rosen only to find out that the guy we wanted to replace him decided to pull out of the draft. Kind of makes sense to get to the draft and get the guy you want first and then trade the guy that is being replaced. Anything can happen up to the draft and while many things could still happen, at least now we have the replacement on the team and under contract for multiple years.

perivolaki

perivolaki
Reaction score
It was reported on Thursday that the Cardinals wanted a guarantee that Kyler will only play football. While they can't stop him from retiring and going to baseball, they can put language than recoups money and they can also put language preventing him from playing both. Once they got that guarentee, they said they were taking him. That's when they put Rosen in the market. Bosa and Williams were born options until that point and told up until ther draft they could still be taken. Keim did the best he could in that situation.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
This is what I heard too. Kind of a unique situation where you have a player that has other options. Cardinals had to protect themselves.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

Keim's body language in the 1st presser supports this assumption. He looked very uncomfortable...In all of the day 2 and 3 pressers he looks way more comfortable and confident. JMO

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Keim's body language in the 1st presser supports this assumption. He looked very uncomfortable...In all of the day 2 and 3 pressers he looks way more comfortable and confident. JMO
May have just been stress in general. This whole QB situation would be a stressful situation to deal with regardless of whether he was on board with it or not.

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
I don't really have a problem with how they handled the Rosen trade situation, though I'm a bit disappointed in the trade value we received. IMO, you don't work a deal and trade Rosen in March, even though you may have known you were going all in with Murray, only to possibly find out some major negative on Kyler in the days leading up in the draft.

Seems lately, every year, some big negative surprise on some highly regarded player leaks out just hours before the draft begins.

The Cards continued to treat Josh like "He's the starter today" up until they actually had Murray in the fold.

Go Cards!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose