Poll: How many wins needed next season...

What are the minimum number of wins needed next year for this to prove out?

• 4+ wins

Votes: 14 13.1%
  • 6+ wins

Votes: 59 55.1%
  • 8+ wins

Votes: 31 29.0%
  • 10+ wins

Votes: 3 2.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
6 is the baseline, 7+ I'd consider a win. Our roster had a ton of holes, and while we had a good draft, even good rookies don't come in right away and dominate. Murray was a 1 year starter in college, will need some time to acclimate to NFL. If you're going to be disappointed if we don't win 9+ and push for a wild card...I don't know, that just seems very unrealistic. I could see us winning 6-7 games and I still feel good about the team and our future as long as Murray and the other rooks show some development.

Remember, most on this board had their pitchforks out defending Rosen after he led us to 3 wins. Murray deserves the same patience and the fact we already suffered through a first year rookie shouldn't be held against him, not his doing.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
That patience could go both ways Rosen could have used another year to but the powers to be thought better so now its Keims But on the line KK is also not saying Midget will be better but most likely every one that expects a rookie QB And please remember A Rookie head coach to do magic and win more than 4 or 5 games is smoking some serious weed remember this ain't no college league every single player is trying to make a living so no one gives a crap what any one did in college and neither should we

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
The problem is you guys are being hypocritical about this situation versus the Rosen situation. Everyone bashed Rosen, saying he sucked and was the reason we only won 3 games and we’re in position to draft #1. Now, the narrative is flipped and everyone wants to give Murray a mulligan because he’s a rookie and in a new system, new OC, etc.. That’s the exact situation Rosen was in last year and no one afforded him the same “mulligan”. It’s funny to see everyone try and rationalize wasting a 1st round pick.

Not I said the duck. I came around and wanted to keep Rosen. But that is the past now and matters not.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
You expected to win 9 games this year regardless of who we took?!? Wow. Quite the optimist!
not too optimistic.

getting our defense back on track and adding playmakers on offense should go a long ways towards success.
of course I am expecting KK's offensive scheme to get those playmakers the ball in space.
Keim says he is gonna go down swinging and I expect those swings to at least hit the fence...and hopefully go over it at times.
If you read my first post in this thread I explained why I expect the wins I do.... not a stretch of the imagination to add Q Williams instead of murry and have the nine wins expectations with Josh at QB and the rest of the draft as it stands.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
We lost 4 games last year by 3 points or less with a historically bad offense and one of the worst rushing defenses.

We managed to win 3 games.

With better coaching and offensive/defensive execution, we were in the 7 win range last year.

IIRC - the Lions and Vikings games were close into the last 3rd QTR/beginning of the 4th.

That is 9 winnable games with the #*&% show we trotted out last year.

This year:
  • Better talent
  • Much better defense
  • Slightly better Oline
  • Prolific offensive system
  • #1 player in the draft
  • MUCH improved WR group
  • Has to be better coaching

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
For all the Murray haters, Peyton Manning's team was 3-13 in his first NFL season. And 13-3 his second year. The key is showing improvement as the season progresses and that the Cardinals FINISH strong in 2019.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
We lost 4 games last year by 3 points or less with a historically bad offense and one of the worst rushing defenses.

With better coaching and offensive/defensive execution, we were in the 7 win range last year.

IIRC - the Lions and Vikings games were close into the last 3rd QTR/beginning of the 4th.

This year:
  • Better talent
  • Much better defense
  • Slightly better Oline
  • #1 player in the draft
  • MUCH improved WR group

The rest of the division isn't standing still. Even with a fourth place schedule, the Cardinals play six games in arguably the best division in the NFL. Chances are the Niners won't be devastated by injury THIS season. That was two of the three wins last season.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
We won't win a championship in 2019, so the number of wins is almost (almost) a moot point.

What I'd like to see is fundamentally-sound football (e.g. no blown coverages in the secondary). I want us to look like a well-coached football team, with a plan.

I want to see us making plays, and I want to see an excellent effort. I'd like to see an upset win, here or there.

Get Murray into his 2nd year in one piece, build the o-lines and d-lines a bit more, add another good FA class and draft class, and then compete hard in 2020.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I’ll have a better idea when I see this offense. Also I need to see Murray run it.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
No Mulligan.many areas have been upgraded OL,DL,CB,WR,TE and having the #1 pick who is "transcendent and gamechanging" nothing less than 8 wins is acceptable IMO.I find it hilarious that the bar has been lowered by the same people who championed Murray.It don`t wash.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we're being honest, had SF not lost Garopolo and had the Packers not mailed it in we would have been 0-16. Also, keep in mind our tough schedule this season. Baptism of fire for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
For all the Murray haters, Peyton Manning's team was 3-13 in his first NFL season. And 13-3 his second year. The key is showing improvement as the season progresses and that the Cardinals FINISH strong in 2019.

Picking a single player's results is anecdotal, not evidential. You could apply the same logic to why Rosen needed another year if it were. Likewise you could argue why a rookie shouldn't get a second year by looking at QBs who had great rookie outings.

Whether realistic or not, I think it is important this team either needs to win 8 games OR needs to show a lot of flash. Reason is last season was demoralizing and could be chalked up to a series of bad choices. You do a hard reset on the team to reboot it and if it crashes again that is just going to hurt morale ON the team.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
What are the chances the Murray loses his entire starting OLINE to injury and his 2nd best WR and is forced to use UDFAs on the OLINE and WR and goes thru several TEs before settling on a Blocking TE (John Phillips).What are the odds of that happening again? So why shouldn`t 8 wins minimum be the bar? Team made several upgrades in several areas so saying 5-6 wins is failure IMO.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
What are the chances the Murray loses his entire starting OLINE to injury and his 2nd best WR and is forced to use UDFAs on the OLINE and WR and goes thru several TEs before settling on a Blocking TE (John Phillips).What are the odds of that happening again? So why shouldn`t 8 wins minimum be the bar? Team made several upgrades in several areas so saying 5-6 wins is failure IMO.

I generally agree with you BW52, that with the parity in today's NFL, a competently coached football team, with a competent GM managing the roster, should win seven or eight games.

But we were the worst team in the NFL last year by a mile, and it wasn't all on the coaching staff.

This is a rebuilding year. Eight wins would be great, perhaps even being in the conversation for a wild card spot.

But wouldn't you agree that, what's most important for for 2019, is to build a foundation that we can use to then make a serious run at a playoff spot in 2020?

No Murray supporter ever said that he would come in and throw for 5000 yards and 50 touchdowns his first year.

I'm looking for a Mayfield-rookie-year type performance for Murray in year one, and then for him to take it to the next level in year two. Wouldn't that be good enough?

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Remember the post Warner pre Palmer era. We sucked at QB but were at least somewhat competitive with a good, but not great, defense, big play ability on special teams, as well as a big play here and there on offense. Last year under Wilks circumstances were similar but we weren't even remotedly competitive in more than half of the games. That's why Wilks ultimately got the axe, not because of his 3-13 record.

I don't care if we go 3-13 again with KK, as long as we are in the majority of games. Obviously for the offense, there is no way to go but up. Expectations are high for KK's offense lead by a controversial 1st overall pick. Probably too high. Our defense will try to get close to pre Wilks level level again. That's more reasonable than expecting the offense turning into top 10 overnight.

Keep games close and give us hope! Record be damned. This is a long-term project anyway.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
I'm looking for a Mayfield-rookie-year type performance for Murray in year one, and then for him to take it to the next level in year two. Wouldn't that be good enough?
Lol Mayfield had one of the best rookie QB seasons ever. If not the best, considering he broke the record for rookie TD passes despite being kept on the bench early on. Murray getting remotedly close to Mayfield would be amazing, but don't set the bar too high. It requires 10 other players on offense. Other than Fitz, our WR group has to be the least experienced in the NFL. Our OL is injury prone and below average at best. Our coach and offensive playcaller is a rookie with no NFL coaching experience installing a new scheme.

I fully believe that things will work out fine down the road. But setting unreasonable expectations (Mayfield) certainly won't help. I'd rather have low expectations and go nuts whenever Murray makes a splash play, than hoping for a 30 TD season. I'm fine with Murray throwing just a bit more TDs than picks, along with some rushing TDs sprinkled in.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
I generally agree with you BW52, that with the parity in today's NFL, a competently coached football team, with a competent GM managing the roster, should win seven or eight games.

But we were the worst team in the NFL last year by a mile, and it wasn't all on the coaching staff.

This is a rebuilding year. Eight wins would be great, perhaps even being in the conversation for a wild card spot.

But wouldn't you agree that, what's most important for for 2019, is to build a foundation that we can use to then make a serious run at a playoff spot in 2020?

No Murray supporter ever said that he would come in and throw for 5000 yards and 50 touchdowns his first year.

A Mayfield like performance should be the minimum expectation considering the hype,being the #1 pick in the whole draft,the improvements that have been made in the team as a whole.I give no mulligan to KM/KK/SK this year.Like I said SK/KK /KM got it .So now own it.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Lol Mayfield had one of the best rookie QB seasons ever. If not the best, considering he broke the record for rookie TD passes despite being kept on the bench early on. Murray getting remotedly close to Mayfield would be amazing, but don't set the bar too high. It requires 10 other players on offense. Other than Fitz, our WR group has to be the least experienced in the NFL. Our OL is injury prone and below average at best. Our coach and offensive playcaller is a rookie with no NFL coaching experience installing a new scheme.

I fully believe that things will work out fine down the road. But setting unreasonable expectations (Mayfield) certainly won't help. I'd rather have low expectations and go nuts whenever Murray makes a splash play, than hoping for a 30 TD season. I'm fine with Murray throwing just a bit more TDs than picks, along with some rushing TDs sprinkled in.

Already lowering the Bar.Spin machine already in action.

Ragnar

Veteran
Reaction score
If we can be competitive in the majority of our games and win some of the close ones I’ll be at least satisfied.
Want to be able to say ‘missed it by that much!!

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

This year:
  • Better talent
  • Much better defense
  • Slightly better Oline
  • #1 player in the draft
  • MUCH improved WR group

This is very stupid, because we also WON 2/3 games by a TD or less. 2-4 in one-score games isn't like a huge outlier. It's one loss more than you would expect. We were exactly in line with out expected wins.

I think, hope and expect that we'll win between 6-8 games last season and improve on the 3 games we lost by 30 or more points. If you can get more games into the decided-by-one-score column, you're likely to win more of them.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
This is very stupid, because we also WON 2/3 games by a TD or less. 2-4 in one-score games isn't like a huge outlier. It's one loss more than you would expect. We were exactly in line with out expected wins.

I think, hope and expect that we'll win between 6-8 games last season and improve on the 3 games we lost by 30 or more points. If you can get more games into the decided-by-one-score column, you're likely to win more of them.

Why? We had 6 games decided by 3 points or less plus another game we won by 10.

That is 7 games that we had a legit chance to win with a historically bad team. Plus 2 more we were in until the end.

Anyone will tell you the difference between winning and losing is decided by a very narrow margin (1 turnover, 1 play, 1 possession, etc).

That isn't stupid...that is reality.

Horrible take K9. You should know better.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Why? We had 6 games decided by 3 points or less plus another game we won by 10.

That is 7 games that we had a legit chance to win with a historically bad team. Plus 2 more we were in until the end.

Anyone will tell you the difference between winning and losing is decided by a very narrow margin (1 turnover, 1 play, 1 possession, etc).

That isn't stupid...that is reality.

Horrible take K9. You should know better.

Yes, but the other team ALSO had an even chance of winning those games. No team goes undefeated in 1-score games. Bruce Arians was like .800 in one-score games and was a complete statistical outlier.

It is not realistic to say "well, we got jack-stomped in 9 games, but we definitely could and should have won ALL THE OTHER ONES." Coaching makes some difference (for whatever reason, with Arians' staff it made a huge different), but generally teams that lose a bunch of games by 14-40 points aren't going to win all the other ones.

Random chance goes both ways. Good teams don't win 100% of their one-score games; they win a bunch of games that are out of reach in the 4th quarter.

New England went 4-2 in games decided by one-score or less. Are the Cards going to have a better record than the Super Bowl Champions in such games this year?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson