Spy

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really? I recall 3 movies of it.

so, someone pointing out that he's fat means... he's doing fat guy fall down go boom comedy? Chang also continually called Helms gay, does that mean Helms was doing gay comedy or was Chang's character just an *******? I mean... how many times in that movie did Zach fall down, smash something with his weight? Just because he's overweight doesn't mean he does fat guy fall down go boom comedy. He played insane moron in those movies, not relying on pratfalls like McCarthy did in trash like Identity Theft and Tammy. I thought she was mildly funny in The Heat, but i don't think there's any doubt that Spy is her best, most well rounded character who actually used her appearance to her advantage in the film as opposed to consistently relying on it to get laughs.

that said, I only thought Zach was funny in the first Hangover. But he's hilarious in Between Two Ferns, and Bored To Death... again, where his weight is pretty much never used to garner laughs by falling down and breaking things.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Or Zach Galifiankis or Jack Black or John Belushi or the dozens of other guys who have played the crass fat guy.

And now we have a crass fat girl. It is a schtick that predated her and it predated Farley.

I don't recall most of you deriding all the other incarnations of this character.

Is it because women shouldn't be crass or fat? I can pretty much assure you that every woman has been crass and has felt fat. That's fine she isn't your cup of tea, but her movies are making money because people find her entertaining. Just like I found all the fat crass guys who came before her entertaining.

You can get down off your high horse now and stop judging me. I never said I don't think she's funny because she's a woman; I don't think she's funny simply because I don't think she's funny. This is beneath you, Chris.

as someone who has agreed with the above in the past, she gave a much different, confident comedic performance here. this was a comedic gem for her and I hope to see more of it.

Perhaps, but the recommendation isn't enough to make this one of the movies I'm going to go spend money on. Not worth a fifteen or so dollar investment.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just because he's overweight doesn't mean he does fat guy fall down go boom comedy. He played insane moron in those movies, not relying on pratfalls like McCarthy did in trash like Identity Theft and Tammy.

This. His comedy was much more mental than physical.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
that said, I only thought Zach was funny in the first Hangover. But he's hilarious in Between Two Ferns, and Bored To Death... again, where his weight is pretty much never used to garner laughs by falling down and breaking things.

Not to nitpick because I actually agree with everything you're saying, but they've used his weight in Between Two Ferns--off the top of my head, they used it in the Steve Carell episode where Carell totally rips him apart calling him "fatty" and insulting him.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Perhaps, but the recommendation isn't enough to make this one of the movies I'm going to go spend money on. Not worth a fifteen or so dollar investment.

That's actually quite sad, since not only is McCarthy good, but Jason Statham and Rose Byrne are actually very good as well. You obviously don't trust anyone's opinion but your own, and that's ok, just stubborn.

Stout

Reaction score
That's actually quite sad, since not only is McCarthy good, but Jason Statham and Rose Byrne are actually very good as well. You obviously don't trust anyone's opinion but your own, and that's ok, just stubborn.

Actually, I trust a lot of people's opinions on movies, either when our tastes usually align or when they're very good at knowing what I like. I often disagree wildly with you and Cheese, so it's just not an auto sell for me. That, and the fact that I'm not having a ton of time to get to the theater these days means I'm limited in what I see.

And me, stubborn? Nah :D

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, I trust a lot of people's opinions on movies, either when our tastes usually align or when they're very good at knowing what I like. I often disagree wildly with you and Cheese, so it's just not an auto sell for me. That, and the fact that I'm not having a ton of time to get to the theater these days means I'm limited in what I see.

And me, stubborn? Nah :D

I don't necessarily blame you for not rushing out to the theater for this, as you can easily enjoy it at home, but I always like to be in a theater for a good comedy. rolling with an audience is fun for me... and as opposed to you right now, I've got a decent amount of time on my hands.

put it in your netflix reminder que though... I think you'll be really surprised by how funny and charming this movie is.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think she's funny simply because I don't think she's funny.

Had you said that, there wouldn't be my response.

Instead you said this:

Like she's trying really hard to be a female Chris Farley, and failing miserably.

So again, the fat crass person has been done since way before Chris Fairley in comedy.

Is it that you don't like the fat crass person or just this particular fat crass person. And if it is this particular fat crass person...why?

Stout

Reaction score
Had you said that, there wouldn't be my response.

Instead you said this:

So again, the fat crass person has been done since way before Chris Fairley in comedy.

Is it that you don't like the fat crass person or just this particular fat crass person. And if it is this particular fat crass person...why?

Your response was way off base, making a huge assumption about what I wrote. I picked Chris Farley because he is widely considered THE big fat rolly-polly comedian. If it had been a woman, I would have compared her to a woman. I have no problem with her trying the schtick--her comedic acting just doesn't work for me. I have zero guilt for my opinion either, so you can stop harassing me about it.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw this last night. Loved it. I haven't been a fan of Melissa McCarthy movies, but if that is your hang up in not seeing this flick, just pretend it is not her and see it!

Really funny and entertaining.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Funny. Surprised nobody mentioned Jude Law. It was nice to see him in such a silly role as well.