Why will Murray fail?

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Palmer hurt his finger in the same game against Philly that the Honey Badger blew his knee out. It was the last play of the game & we were winning like 45-17. Those injuries definitely cost us an opportunity to get to the SB. Palmer was never the same that season. Seemed like he couldn’t throw over 40 yards. Panthers knew that & embarrassed us in the NFC Championship game.
I was at that game. Palmer hurt his finger in the 3rd quarter and HB blew his knee out in garbage time with the game 40-17 and should have never been out there. But for Palmer, he came out the next week and threw for 269 yards and 2 TD's but it was clear he was hurting. Should have been benched the final 2 weeks but BA insisted on playing him.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
NFL level defensive coordinators and players doing to Kingsbury's Air Raid offensive what they did to the Run and Shoot is how Murray is going to fail in the NFL. Kill the quarterback is first and foremost how the passing game is defended in the NFL.

Concepts of the Air Raid offense:

1) Full time hurry up to wear down the defense - more plays = more opportunities to get hurt.

2) Pass first, up to 75% passes - that isn't running the ball to keep defenders from teeing off on your quarterback

3) Wide line splits - just giving holes for NFL speed to get to your quarterback.

4) Simplified system that doesn't feature route trees and runs the same plays over and over. A false pre-snap read, his one read covered and Murray is running for his life every other play.
This is a great post.

Honest truth, I do think some version of the Air Raid is going to be the way the NFL has to go in the future, just because of the lack of other concepts being taught in the college game, but it's not here yet. The old guard of coaching is going to have to retire.

My fear is we're about a decade too early.

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
This is a great post.

Honest truth, I do think some version of the Air Raid is going to be the way the NFL has to go in the future, just because of the lack of other concepts being taught in the college game, but it's not here yet. The old guard of coaching is going to have to retire.

My fear is we're about a decade too early.
At least a decade too early

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
By all accounts Murray basically starting preparing to be a QB at the age of six.

When he showed up to Allen HS, basically the best HS football program in Texas, he was the best player on the team as a 5'8 QB.

Didn’t @DVontel say that Allen HS is 58-3 since Murray left? The kid has been amazing but talk about some fortunate situations. Also Oklahoma transfer Jalen Hurts has the third best Heisman odds going into next season.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Didn’t @DVontel say that Allen HS is 58-3 since Murray left? The kid has been amazing but talk about some fortunate situations. Also Oklahoma transfer Jalen Hurts has the third best Heisman odds going into next season.
3 more losses than Murray had as a starter. He was 43-0 as a starter and won 3 straight state titles.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Baker said before last season that he thought Murray might have a better year than he did...
And Murray did.

It's funny all of these people talking about Murray getting hurt and Lincoln Riley said he worried about Mayfield getting hurt NOT Murray because Murray avoids contact, just like I pointed out and others pointed out.

I'm going to dig up these threads and serve the coldest crow ever when Murray is great.

I challenge over and over and these people continually wuss out. Tell us anything bad about Murrays actual play. They cant find anything because they just dont like Murray because he lacks ideal height. Ridiculous.
His actual play is ok.
I worry about his lack of experience.
I worry about his preparation and work ethic as he has always succeeded with sheer athletic ability.
I worry about his ability to overcome adversity, because he has never done it that I have seen.

That is how he fails in the NFL.

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
NFL level defensive coordinators and players doing to Kingsbury's Air Raid offensive what they did to the Run and Shoot is how Murray is going to fail in the NFL. Kill the quarterback is first and foremost how the passing game is defended in the NFL.

Concepts of the Air Raid offense:

1) Full time hurry up to wear down the defense - more plays = more opportunities to get hurt.

2) Pass first, up to 75% passes - that isn't running the ball to keep defenders from teeing off on your quarterback

3) Wide line splits - just giving holes for NFL speed to get to your quarterback.

4) Simplified system that doesn't feature route trees and runs the same plays over and over. A false pre-snap read, his one read covered and Murray is running for his life every other play.
IMHO recipe for disaster and a rather short career in the NFL as has been stated on here and other places Murray isnt to adaptable to other systems so We all shall see

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
Does anyone think that Even the Great Mahomes is going to have it easy as last year these defensive guys in the NFL and can will adapt rather quickly so what or why do most think Murray will succeed should be the question

Last edited:

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
His actual play is ok.
I worry about his lack of experience.
I worry about his preparation and work ethic as he has always succeeded with sheer athletic ability.
I worry about his ability to overcome adversity, because he has never done it that I have seen.

That is how he fails in the NFL.
It really does come down to what is between the ears and how much he actually wants it and this baseball thing that's always going to be sitting there as a option athleticism will only go so far in the NFL

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I was not a fan of the plan to dump Rosen and reinvent the offense. However, Murray and Kingsbury are here and the offense will be made anew.

It will be fascinating to watch Murray make his mark on the league. Fears about him being a 'running quarterback' aren't really applicable. There are many running quarterbacks who fail in the league because they don't have the dropback chops to make it work in the NFL. We always, always say that the primary determining factor to winning at the qb game is accuracy. Murray has had superior accuracy in his time in college. Despite his size, he was making throws other college QB's and many pro QB's couldn't make. Just because someone can run, doesn't mean they have to. The dual threat is a powerful weapon that defenses must respect though, and it will make them weaker.

The potential here is remarkable. Certainly not guaranteed, but picture it at its best.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Good comp on Haskins, hadn't thought of that one.

My hot take of the 1st round is that Daniel Jones is going to be better than Haskins. Haskins horrid footwork is going to lead to picks. OSUs offense allowed him to throw a ton of short easier passes last year.

Haskins is Leftwich and Rodney Peete cloned. Which means he wont be a total bust, but hes not a starter.
I would’ve taken Lock over Jones but he’s from Missouri and people probably think of Gabbert.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I have, in multiple threads. I can't expect you to read every single one, so no worries.

My issues with his play have to do with having a ton of wide open receivers. I don't want to spend a ton of time on Rosen, because he's not what it's about, but I saw him throw into some really tight windows on college tape. The kind of pure throwing that's just intensely amazing. Murray's got just a few throws where I see elite ball placement. Again, it doesn't mean that Rosen would be better, just that I struggle to see Kyler make plays with his arm when things are going wrong.

He is going to take a big hit. No matter what, it's going to happen. Every QB has. We have one year of tape with a dominant offensive line to see what Kyler is like, and I'm terrified of a guy who doesn't have everything going for him. I have played the sport, and someone inevitably finds you.

When I say he's going to "get killed," I mean he's going to take an injury that takes away that mobility. That keeps him from bombing 75 yard passes to wide open WRs. And that he's in a gimmick offense, that is going to get sniffed out.
I wonder how much research you’ve put into Kingsbury. I don’t think it’s a “gimmick” offense because I don’t think it’s an offense. It’s a philosophy. And if you just dismiss the air raid it’s bc you haven’t read up on Kingsbury. I can’t recall which thread it was but someone posted an extremely interesting article on Kingsbury and his “air raid.” I was skeptical it was going to be chip Kelly all over again, but it seems Kingsbury couldn’t be further from Kelly if he tried.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Fyi QBs or any athlete for that matter do not necessarily have to get hit to be injured remember Carson tore up his knee without being touched Marino ruptured Achilles just moving around the list goes in and on and dont forget about injuries that happen in training camp or practice it's the nature of the game so when it happens your going to be stuck with Hundley how do ya like them there odds? And when this magical Murray mobility disappears what's going to happen then and believe Me It Will
lol. You’re so certain he’s gonna blow out a knee now? And it’s going to forever sap him of his athleticism. You must be a ball at parties.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
the NFL DC's will figure him out and he doesn't seem the type of guy that's going to reads/adjustments at the line. He'll be great on broken plays and running around helter skelter but that's not going to translate to wins. Defensive athletes are just too good.

Lamar Jackson was a prime example last year. Look at how quickly defenses figure him out come playoff time. I just have a hard time believing Murray can beat teams from the pocket and that's what he's going to have to do.
Did you really just compare Lamar Jackson and Murray? They aren’t in the same league as passers. I saw an impressive piece by a former nfl QB (my mind isn’t working correctly this morning) where he was showing not only how Murray works through progressions, but how rapidly his analysis works and works out! Don’t fall into the running QBs are all the same trap. It’s entirely too simplistic.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Thanks but the point I was trying to make was he is going to get hit and hurt Palmers injury may have shortened his career but IMHO was it not a hand or finger injury that done him in he just didn't seem the same afterwards
Oh it’s murrays fingers that are going to be the problem now? Lol. Jesus . . .

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Really not trying at all to get the anti Murray camp going. Mainly wondering after a couple of days to let this all sink in everyone’s thoughts.
You don’t have to. They can’t wait to tear into him. Just wait for the first interception or fumble or god forbid incompletion. We are talking end of the world stuff.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Does anyone think that Even the Great Mahomes is going to have it easy as last year these defensive guys in the NFL and can will adapt rather quickly so what or why do most think Murray will succeed should be the question

Without Tyreek Hill, of course not, but defences are not suddenly going to turn him into an also ran.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don’t have to. They can’t wait to tear into him. Just wait for the first interception or fumble or god forbid incompletion. We are talking end of the world stuff.
Lol. I know. The problem with most , both pro and con Murray guys is the anti Murray see epic failure and the pro Murray guys see rainbows and unicorns. It will be a little of both.